Hang Dong Market / Cheap Used Mopeds

silentjob

I have been told by a few sources that it is possible to find really cheap mopeds at a market in Hang Dong. [sundays]

I have been told you can snap them up from as little as 2-3k? Is this true or are they just chatting kaka?

Supposedly they are so cheap because they come without a plate etc etc

can someone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

You're hearing rumors about whta they call "Kad Wuwa Kwai" which historically was where the farmers and villagers would meet and buy n sell cattle and buffalo among other livestock. These days it's a thriving Thai day market with produce n knick-knacks besides plants and food. In the front right side there is a giant waning under which you'll find literally 1000+ bikes for sale. I have no idea about prices as I haven't been there to shop for a bike. But many bikes i many different states of condition. If you don't phud pasaah Thai or ou kam muang, you best bring along an interpreter to help get your questions answered.

The mkt is on Saturdays from dawn to about 12pm. Get here early for best deals. You go waay past Baan Tawai. But you cant miss it as it's huge and traffic sort of backs up around it. The mkt now has expanded to both sides of the street, left and right. YOu will find the motosai on the rt side of the street, ie southbound side of traffic, headed out of town. Have fun. Great place for pix, so bring a camera along with you too!

You're hearing rumors about whta they call "Kad Wuwa Kwai" which historically was where the farmers and villagers would meet and buy n sell cattle and buffalo among other livestock. These days it's a thriving Thai day market with produce n knick-knacks besides plants and food. In the front right side there is a giant waning under which you'll find literally 1000+ bikes for sale. I have no idea about prices as I haven't been there to shop for a bike. But many bikes i many different states of condition. If you don't phud pasaah Thai or ou kam muang, you best bring along an interpreter to help get your questions answered.

The mkt is on Saturdays from dawn to about 12pm. Get here early for best deals. You go waay past Baan Tawai. But you cant miss it as it's huge and traffic sort of backs up around it. The mkt now has expanded to both sides of the street, left and right. YOu will find the motosai on the rt side of the street, ie southbound side of traffic, headed out of town. Have fun. Great place for pix, so bring a camera along with you too!

Only one thing to add--I was told that most of the bikes did not have any documents--which often, though not always, means that they don't belong to the vendor [ i.e. they're nicked] Don't jump on my case if this is not so--just repeating someone else's info.

Nice one!

Thank you for the info.

Bit stuck on the interpreter front though...

cheers

Make some friends with local Thai people. They will be glad to help you translate/interpret for you when they can.

Alternatively, try the motorcycle market at Ruam Chok Market. Some English is spoken there. There are good deals there as well.

Edited by elektrified

Haven't been to that market, but I regularly see 'under-bar' bikes (no gas-tank) for 3-5,000 baht. Maybe they are stolen, or just old and beat up, or just cannot be registered for lack of inspection. But lots of them around. I recently saw one with a side-car for 6,000, but couldn't think of a use for it...

Also lots of small 'real' motorcycles (gas tanks and clutch) for under 7,000 too - 2-stroke engines mostly. Noisy, dirty, and really quite fast...

===

There is a thread going now started by a woman whose father caused an accident. Many of the posters said that the father (who caused the accident) should have driven away without stopping (no damage to his vehicle). While one must question the ethics of this suggestion, there could certainly be a 'convenience' to not having a registered bike. Have a problem - just walk away...

(For entertainment value only. The author of this post does not advocate breaking the law...)

:o

If you make a deal with a nice Thai person on a bike to the tune of a few K baht, likely you can get them to go to the Motorcycle Vehicle Department and sign over documents together. When the docs come out and get checked, you'll know if it's good and legit or not. Any honest salesperson will likely find the time to do that with you. FYI that DMV is located at the 3-Way Intersection just next to Rachawej Hospital and the Holiday Inn.