Justice Awaiting Thaksin In Thailand: Abhisit

george

Justice awaiting Thaksin in Thailand: Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Monday challenged former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand to meet justice.

Thaksin said on Sunday that he would not stop his political fights until he receives justice.

"Justice is waiting for him Thailand. Please come back," Abhisit said when reporters asked him to comment on Thaksin's statement.

-- The Nation 2009-01-26

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justice and Thailand , those 2 words are complete opposites here, Thaksin is no saint ,but who in their right mind would come back to Thailand to have Justice served to them ??? if the role was reversed i am sure Abhisit would not be rushing back,

I have to side with the PM on this one...Mr. Thaksin wants to be served justice...all of his hot air and posturing cries out for it...but the only venue for this is in the Kingdom...he cannot be tried in absentia and be fully assured of his rights, can he? I doubt there is any hidden venom in this invitation to come home. If Thaksin does return to be tried and the court system makes a mockery of it, then so be it. At least all will know. If the man receives a sentence that is not suspended, and he must do his time, then so be it. He has whatever is coming to him and the Thai people need closure on this whole sordid mess.

His wife returned.

EC commissioners served their time, Thaksin's lawyers served their time. They didn't try to run.

Thaksin wants to be his own judge and executioner, that's his version of justice. He doesn't recognise the authority of Thai courts, the government, the military, the "elites" etc etc. He thinks he is above them all.

It has been suggested that the current legal apparatus is a tool for the army/elite/Democrats/PAD, recent events certainly add credence to that argument.

As such Taksin would have to be a complete fool to come back and face the courts here. I do note of course that in his prime the situation was the opposite, being in his favor.

It has been suggested that the current legal apparatus is a tool for the army/elite/Democrats/PAD, recent events certainly add credence to that argument.

As such Thaksin would have to be a complete fool to come back and face the courts here. I do note of course that in his prime the situation was the opposite, being in his favour.

Even if the courts were completely neutral about the matter, Thaksin would be a fool to come back, because he knows very well - at least roughly - which laws he chose to ignore. The only way out for him would be to get the courts completely under his control once again, which seems quite unlikely at the moment. That must be where the idea to ask for a royal pardon comes from.

Crying for justice without even giving the courts a chance to find try him in the first place, is quite silly. In my view it's a bit too early to complain about injustice, way before a verdict has been made. Once it's all said and done, he could try to kick up a stink in front of the international community based on the verdict and the whole trial.

It's like saying: "Shut up when you are talking to me!". I think the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on and knows it!

5 years ban from politics and he will run again and be voted in. If he ran now he would get back in, the poor have lost their voice and the middle classes are now panicking because they know the downturn has started. Look at the advertising boards on the way to the airport ...empty! Thailand are lucky they had Thaksin for the time they did, the reserve cash they are sitting on is money he generated and is the only thing propping up the economy. He was bent as a nine bob note but he pulled moves for the economy that were well ahead of Thailands time, sure he borrowed money but he encouraged foreign investment and set up state run/owned businesses that generated jobs and money reducing unemployment and advancing GDP beyond just exports. I honestly look at Abhisit and just think you haven't got a bloody clue what you are going to do have you. No charisma , no presense , not a good public speaker and lacks confidence in his body language.

He was bent as a nine bob note but he pulled moves for the economy that were well ahead of Thailands time, sure he borrowed money but he encouraged foreign investment and set up state run/owned businesses that generated jobs and money reducing unemployment and advancing GDP beyond just exports. I honestly look at Abhisit and just think you haven't got a bloody clue what you are going to do have you. No charisma , no presense , not a good public speaker and lacks confidence in his body language.

He were at the same very hasty about spending the governments money on building projects, where he made sure to put the money into the right pockets by overpricing the costs. Every project he started, he made sure that the government was using companies that were owned by his family, relatives or close friends. Then they divided up the money between them. He also made sure that the government and schools bought overpriced computers with low specifications from his own computer sales company. He was more or less robbing this country. And the money that's still left in the country today, is there because it was earned before the world financial crises and after he left and he therefore wasn't able to spend them down into his pockets. And about charisma... I would say that every liar, robber or thief certainly got more charisma than the honest good living people in life. So you prefer thieves because they have better charisma then? Suit yourself then!

I can't believe that there's actually people here defending corruption...

Edited by Ga-gai

His policies aimed at the "under privileged" were to increase personal debt through govt loans giving a sense that quality of life had improved. He is lucky he got the boot when he did so some other political party could take the fall.

Get justice in a fair court and we all know the court is anti-thaksin, so we shouldnt blame him not wanting to return until the situation is right.

Yea... And the court and the policemen during the OJ Simpson trial were just anti-black and racists as well....

Get justice in a fair court and we all know the court is anti-thaksin, so we shouldnt blame him not wanting to return until the situation is right.

Please Brit ---

Thaksin said he trusted and respected the courts here .. (then his lawyers got caught trying to bribe the court)

Thaksin said he trusted and respected the courts here .. (then his lawyers got caught trying to bribe the court)

Maybe he changed his mind after his lawyers got caught...! :o

Man... This guy is corrupted as h ell.

But the most amazing thing isn't that He's corrupted. What amazes me more, is that there is people here that actually defends him.

Edited by Ga-gai

Are the courts anti-Thaksin, or is he merely guilty as-charged, do you think ?

Ask yourself ... why did his lawyers feel the need to try to bribe them ? It shows double-standards at least, that he complains he can't get a fair trial even with his own party running the government & his own brother-in-law as PM, but that then his legal-representatives get caught trying to corrupt the court.

Thaksin wants the finest justice that his money can buy ! :o

What great ironey that Thaksin has now to run from the same institutions that he used so well for so long for his own personal and political advantage. Of course you would not return.

Who could have any faith at all in fair and impartial justice here in Thailand where EVERYTHING is a negotiated outcome.

5 years ban from politics and he will run again and be voted in. If he ran now he would get back in, the poor have lost their voice and the middle classes are now panicking because they know the downturn has started. Look at the advertising boards on the way to the airport ...empty! Thailand are lucky they had Thaksin for the time they did, the reserve cash they are sitting on is money he generated and is the only thing propping up the economy. He was bent as a nine bob note but he pulled moves for the economy that were well ahead of Thailands time, sure he borrowed money but he encouraged foreign investment and set up state run/owned businesses that generated jobs and money reducing unemployment and advancing GDP beyond just exports. I honestly look at Abhisit and just think you haven't got a bloody clue what you are going to do have you. No charisma , no presense , not a good public speaker and lacks confidence in his body language.

Dear Lix, I presume you have no entrances to news?

Because there happens to be some kind of economic disaster brewing in the world.

Quite stupid to blame the government of the day for that.

And even more stupid to think that Mr T could do better.

I assure you, that everywhere in the world government official have no inkling of an idea what to do.

Businessman know!

Grab, steal, pilfer, and so on.

Sounds familiar?

Dear Lix, I presume you have no entrances to news?

Because there happens to be some kind of economic disaster brewing in the world.

Quite stupid to blame the government of the day for that.

And even more stupid to think that Mr T could do better.

I assure you, that everywhere in the world government official have no inkling of an idea what to do.

Businessman know!

Grab, steal, pilfer, and so on.

Sounds familiar?

I have more than my fair share of access to news thank you. I was not blaming the new administration for any crisis but pointing out that the corrupt Thaksin has turned out to be a saving grace as they now have more in the pot to fight the global downturn with than rice exports. Thaksin knows how to run a business, he failed many times on his way to success which was why he became so bloody good at what he did, be it legal or illegal. He has the experience and strength to survive and steer through such a storm. Mr A i fear is merely a British academic with not large enough walnuts for the battle ahead.

I wish Thaksin would come and run the UK for a while, we have had bigger criminals in power for the last decade and look what they have done to our country , they should be on trial as should Thaksin.

thank you kindly

Thaksin has turned out to be a saving grace as they now have more in the pot to fight the global downturn with than rice exports

Unfortunately this is not the case. Despite all the talk about "dual track" he wasn't able to diversify the economy in any meaningful sense. In 2002-2004 it still grew on the back of exports, it was clear in 2005 that his efforts failed to generate any other engines of growth and so Thaksin turned to mega projects instead.

Both the middle and working class voted for the Democrats in the Nontaburi by election on Sunday, Thaksin is scared that Aphisit will win the hearts of many in Issan, hence the need for weekly phone-ins, lest they forget.

I have to disagree about Aphisit having no idea but it's pointless arguing about it now, time will tell, but so far so good.

Thaksin assassination claim surprises officials

Bangkok Post Jan 27, 2009 (article link)

National police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan on Tuesday expressed astonishment over ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's claim that he is a target of assassination.

Pol Gen Patcharawat said he has never heard of such reports, adding that police can ensure safety to Mr Thaksin if he returns to Thailand. He will be treated as a Thai citizen, he added. Meanwhile, Gen Prawit said the ousted premier and society are ultimately the ones to decide whether it was appropriate for him to make a phone-in and speak to his supporters.

On Sunday, Mr Thaksin phoned-in to satellite TV DStation, saying that he had been denied justice and would not end his involvement in politics until he was returned money confiscated from him by the coup-installed Asset Scrutiny Committee.

He also claimed that there had been an attempt on his life.