How Much Is Actually Needed?

ProfessorFart

Has anyone stopped to think how much is actually needed for the relief effort?

Seems to me that every corporation in the World has given money in exchange for a bit of good PR, and every Government has bunged in a bit as well but it seems now to be reaching silly proportions and a step back to view the situation is needed. Throwing money at a disaster never helped anyone as Live Aid showed.

My fear is that the biggest profiteers here are the NGOs all begging for donations.

Has anyone stopped to think how much is actually needed for the relief effort?

Seems to me that every corporation in the World has given money in exchange for a bit of good PR, and every Government has bunged in a bit as well but it seems now to be reaching silly proportions and a step back to view the situation is needed. Throwing money at a disaster never helped anyone as Live Aid showed.

My fear is that the biggest profiteers here are the NGOs all begging for donations.

The magnitude of this disaster is hard to grasp. I believe that all the donations given so far are not enough even for the help required in the next days and weeks, not to mention long term reconstruction operations. More than 120,000 people lost their lives (and no, most of them did not have insurance policies from which their families can be helped) , millions of people were affected.

This is the time to show generousity and compassion. The NGOs you mentioned are doing sacred work. For those who do not trust certain NGOs I suggest they should inquire until they find a body they do trust or seek another way of helping the people affected by this disaster.

I think the term 'sacred work' is a little OTT. A deep breath is needed and a good look at what actually needs doing is called for at this point. Throwing money around blindly is going to help no one.

If you want to donate then do not be afraid to ask questions first.

All NGOs, which are multi national corporations let us not forget, have vast financial reserves already. Give only to those who give you a satisfactory reply to any questions.

I think the term 'sacred work' is a little OTT. A deep breath is needed and a good look at what actually needs doing is called for at this point. Throwing money around blindly is going to help no one.

If you want to donate then do not be afraid to ask questions first.

All NGOs, which are multi national corporations let us not forget, have vast financial reserves already. Give only to those who give you a satisfactory reply to any questions.

I am not talking about multi-national corporations. I am talking about certain NGOs I know personally, many of them have tiny budgets and most of the people invloved are volunteers.

I do agree however that it is better to know something about the organization before you write your check. My point is that we shouldn't allow this suspicion stop us from donating altogether.