Thai Rock Singer Charged Over Santika Pub Inferno

george

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to have been a similar tragedy involving fireworks at a Russian nightclub last night (04/12/09).

"There were fireworks launched at the scene, and one hit the plastic ceiling, setting all ablaze. People panicked and succumbed to burns, general crush and gas poisoning."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8396587.stm

These things happen all over the world, but the big difference between here and there is that in other countries people are normally put in jail and when necessary, legislation gets put in place. In fact, following this tragedy in Russia, the Russian government has already established a special commission to deal with the incident. In Bangkok, a year on, nothing.

Actually, there was a a previous fire in a Russian nightclub a couple of years ago where 10 were killed.

From the BBC website of the 2007 fire:

"The Moscow fire is the latest fatal blaze in Russia, where some 17,000 fire deaths were recorded last year, according to the emergency ministry.

Officials say poor enforcement of fire regulations and bad construction contribute to the high rate."

So it looks like not much has been learned.

What I took from the stories is that it's not a good idea to play with fireworks or inflammable substances in enclosed spaces with restricted exits.

I understand that alcohol and drugs contribute to stupid decisions and often cause people to act while disabling the "let's think about this" part of the brain, but to set of fireworks in an enclosed establishment with a large gathering of people is beyond me. Actually, drugs and alcohol most likely can't be to blame for these actions, because there is a pretty good chance it was planned beforehand. So, the disregard for consulting a professional who can properly assess the situation and give direction how to do this is beyond neglect. I hope those responsible for the Santika Pub, clubs in Russia, and all across the world past, present, and future, suffer for the rest of their lives from the burden and guilt. I am usually not a vengeful person, but this is just disgusting. Rant over

Edited by senshusband

I understand that alcohol and drugs contribute to stupid decisions and often cause people to act while disabling the "let's think about this" part of the brain, but to set of fireworks in an enclosed establishment with a large gathering of people is beyond me. Actually, drugs and alcohol most likely can't be to blame for these actions, because there is a pretty good chance it was planned beforehand. So, the disregard for consulting a professional who can properly assess the situation and give direction how to do this is beyond neglect. I hope those responsible for the Santika Pub, clubs in Russia, and all across the world past, present, and future, suffer for the rest of their lives from the burden and guilt. I am usually not a vengeful person, but this is just disgusting. Rant over

I totally agree. Right now, a couple of days after the Russian tragedy, 5 are being held. I know it has happened before and will happen again, but at least in some advanced countries like Russia (as an American this is a hard admission to make), there is a downside for disregarding the law. In Thailand, forget about it. Rant not over.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone clarify exactly what's happening to Police Colonel Prayont Lasua? Is this man on suspension, being investigated or is he still in full employment? Whilst financial investors are not usually criminally liable, surely the lack of tax paying, insufficient fire escapes, plus the cessation of raids after his investment can make him criminally liable?!? A perfect time to make an example of a corrupt top dog and maybe give some peace to those who so tragically lost loved ones

some reasons why no commission has been appointed and no repercussions have or will be taken regarding those sharing responsibility for the Santika tragedy:

>>> 'Responsibility' is not a happening concept in Thailand.

>>> Nobody wants anyone else to lose face - though many people did lose face in the inferno, literally.

>>> The refuge of Asian thinkers is something like, "it's all karma." In other words, it was meant to happen, and even so, now it's done and behind us - so what can we do about it - we can't go back in time and change the future?

>>> To find the most viable cause of the fire would require analytical thinking, and possibly asking tough questions, and possibly some people losing face. It would also require an objective analysis of all clues. Too tiresome to contemplate.

This article in the Telegraph is far more enlightning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-65-people.html

Tha last couple of paragraphs would be bloody hilarious if not so tragic.

what happened to the report of fireworks on the roof that an eye witness saw just before the fire erupted? that sounded more believable to me as the cause. the roof burned and caused it to crash inwards. any more on this???? jd

I saw the vid clip last year; the singer was not lighting fireworks,

he was on stage singing, it is pretty obvious he is being scapegoated,

add to it the particularly bad choice of band name.

He was too easy a target last Jan. But the video showed him on stage

and not lighting anything till he runs off in shocked fear.