Change In Policy At The Us Embassy?

it's interesting your wife only got a 2 year multi entry after already having a fiancee visa....that sort of worries me that my partner's chances might be less than I'm anticipating. Did your partner ask for a 10 year visa?

A little disappointing, but not that big of a deal. Just means we'll be back in 2 years, but at least next time it should be a "slam dunk."

My wife didn't know to ask for a 10-year... I pretty much guided her through this whole process. I was expecting to be there with her, and ask for her.

However, if you look at the letter (posted above) that I sent in with her, that requested the 10-year visa, and my wife said the CO scrutinized the letter (as well as everything else she handed him) thoroughly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not allowing you to accompany your wife for the interview is a good idea as you will not be able to influence what she says and it's easier for them to determine if your marriage is genuine or just an attempt for your wife to gain entry into the US.

on my gf's first visa interview, I spent like 2 days preparing a stack of papers proving her ties to me, her ties to Thailand, and my ties to Asia. The CO looked at our passports for a minute, and said we were good to go, not even looking at the stack of documents I prepared. I thought great, and assumed he would grant a 10 year multi since it only took a few moments for him to say yes. Ended up only with a 1 month single entry. This time I'm asking first thing in my letter.

I actually understand why the policy was implemented...probably too many demanding farang making a rukus when their go-go-bar gf's for 1 month are not granted a visa, so I guess we only have other Americans to thank. Plus the interview is their interview, not ours....

but they should still let you into the consular section.

They're implementing head-counts at all embassies. In Jakarta, you can enter with your wife but only after 2 other people exit. So... you get to wait outside with your spouse on the concrete, in the sun, for half an hour to go to your appointment which you showed up for on-time. I was never told I couldn't attend my wife's interview. Perhaps the Fiancee thing is different than the Spouse thing but why wouldn't they let you go to the interview unless they want to blackmail her to have sex with them or else no visa?

I don't have a problem with the US citizen not being allowed to sit in on the interview.

What I have a problem with is the total exclusion of the US citizen from the Embassy grounds. That is uncalled for and I fail to see the necessity of it.

My Thai wife and I frequently go to the US Embassy in BKK. We present our passports, turn in our cell phones and have never been denied access. We have been frequent visitors to the US Embassy in Riyadh as well, with the same results. Never a problem getting in for either business or social affairs, of which we have attended many. I shall now expect to get one of us turned down when we next approach the Embassy gates for entrance. I will not be happy should it occur.

What I have a problem geting my head around is this. With some 11 million illegal immigrants in the US and nobody seeming to worry about them...exactly what damage could a few 45 kilo Thai girls do even if they did overstay???? The threat is hardly worth worrying about.

This all seems to be the State Department flexing it's muscles and making it more difficult than normal for the resident US citizens having requirements to do business with them.

After reading these posts, I went to the US Bangkok Embassy's website. Two clicks later I saw this:

Note: Due to security considerations, there is no information window for walk-in visitors at the Embassy. Only those with scheduled interviews will be admitted to the consular section.

(I can't post a url but you can find the page by going to the US Embassy at Bangkok's website, then click on the "visas" link, and then the "non-immigrant visas" link)

It's probably a good thing that you didn't raise a ruckus over being denied entry. The way bureaucrats are would almost guarantee the visa would be denied in response to your actions. Also, as an American I am aware that we always complain about incompetent government employees. It seems you encountered one that was competent enough to remember your face from when you first tried to enter with your wife and turned you away with a smile when you tried lying your way past her.

A US passport isn't even a guarantee that you'll even get through immigration at a international airport in the US. You still have your little informal interview as you wait for your passport to be stamped. Say the wrong thing, and see if you're let through right away.

After reading these posts, I went to the US Bangkok Embassy's website. Two clicks later I saw this:

Note: Due to security considerations, there is no information window for walk-in visitors at the Embassy. Only those with scheduled interviews will be admitted to the consular section.

(I can't post a url but you can find the page by going to the US Embassy at Bangkok's website, then click on the "visas" link, and then the "non-immigrant visas" link)

It's probably a good thing that you didn't raise a ruckus over being denied entry. The way bureaucrats are would almost guarantee the visa would be denied in response to your actions. Also, as an American I am aware that we always complain about incompetent government employees. It seems you encountered one that was competent enough to remember your face from when you first tried to enter with your wife and turned you away with a smile when you tried lying your way past her.

A US passport isn't even a guarantee that you'll even get through immigration at a international airport in the US. You still have your little informal interview as you wait for your passport to be stamped. Say the wrong thing, and see if you're let through right away.

This has nothing to do with keeping US citizens out of the Embassy. It merely says there will be no visa interviews unless they are prior scheduled. They will perform no visa interviews without an appointment. It's been this way for years.

Did you find anything about precluding US citizens from the Embassy grounds during a visa interview?

This has nothing to do with keeping US citizens out of the Embassy. It merely says there will be no visa interviews unless they are prior scheduled. They will perform no visa interviews without an appointment. It's been this way for years.

Did you find anything about precluding US citizens from the Embassy grounds during a visa interview?

If you are a U.S. citizen and see some procedure at the U.S. Embassy that you view as unfair and not justified, you can get a reasoned written explanation if you are willing to do your homework. Prepare a well-documented letter to the Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy. At the same time you send this original letter, dispatch copies of the letter along with any documentation you may have plus a letter of explanation to the following people:

The Secretary of State

Your representative Senator(s)

Your representative Congressman in the House

Chairman of the Senate’s Foreign Affairs Committee

Even if the DCM ignores your original letter, he/she cannot ignore a query from a representative of the House, Senate or State Department.

You WILL get a response.

Walt

I can confirm that this regulation is true. Just went to the embassy this morning with my wife for her to get a tourist visa and they would not let me inside.

I asked, is there anywhere I can sit inside while she has the interview?

The reply: "Outisde, at the bus stop."

So I spent the next hour and a half sitting at the bus stop playing cell phone games...

Luckily she got approved...but...not exactly making me feel welcome in my own embassy is pretty low.

My thai gf, also got approved for a 10-year multi entry B1/B2 tourist visa, but it was her second visa after being issued a single entry visa in Oct 2007. The policy does exist. I walked up with my gf, and they said I could not enter, but already knowing this, I smiled and told the person that I needed extra pages for my passport. She said it was OK, but that I could not join my gf for her interview. I walked in with her and went to wait for her in the US Citizen waiting area (which is connected to the Visa interview meeting area). I decided it was better to wait, and not walk up to the interview counter with her (but I was prepared to, if she wasn't given a 10-year visa). After under a minute of questioning, she walked back and said she was granted a 10-year visa. Again, the interviewer didn't look at any of the 20+ pages of documents I had prepared as proof, but only read my cover letter and asked my gf a few basic questions.

30-minutes later I really did get additional pages for my passport. The new pages have a pretty design on them.

there appeared to be at least 1 other US citizen in there with a Thai gf, doing the same thing I did to enter the waiting area.

Good luck to all those who apply, I think your chances are pretty good if you play the right cards. America needs more tourist money, badly :o

--matt

Your method of using a walk up entry to the Citizens Services area to be around for the interview will not work indefinitely. Their intent is to only have people with appointments be able to get in. Not sure how long they will continue to accept walkups.

They would not let me into the Beijing consulate for my wife's tourist visa interview in 2005, so this is not new in other places.

TH

The purpose of the appointment system is to cut wait times for services and allow us to provide you with better service as demand for our services continues to grow. When you arrive at our waiting room, there is no need to take a number, just check-in at Window A and give our staff a copy of your appointment number. As we transition to the new appointment system, we will continue to accept walk-ins, but will give priority to those who made appointments online

Yes, right in the quote above. It says, "Only those with scheduled interviews will be admitted to the consular section." That means only the person (the Thai fiancee) whose name is on the appointment can go into the consular section. Seems pretty clear to me.

You really can't in this day and age, show up at the US Embassy, be turned away because the interview does not include you and then minutes later give them a bogus excuse and expect them to let you throught the gate. Yes, the embassy is US property but so is the White House, Fort Knox and our missle silos.

There are no walk-in interviews at the Bangkok Embassy period. Everything is scheduled ahead of time. chuckd is correct in that the above statement is not relvent to this topic. Prior, US citizens were allowed to accompany Thai's to a US visa interview.

thaihome, I think it will last because the majority of people who do US visa interviews don't bother to check Thai Visa. Plus, US Citizens have a legitimate reason to need access to the ACS and it did not appear there were any plans to block the door between the ACS section and visa interview section. Infact some ACS services (like passport drop offs) take place near the interview section.

Furthermore, there's no space issue at the US embassy, compared to the Thai consulate in Vientiane, the Siam BTS station, and any Thai Bus, the US interview section is Bangkok is like a Hilton luxury suite. Getting a US visa is like 10x better than getting a Thai tourist visa in Vientiane--no long lines, no pushing and shoving, places to sit, a/c, non-smelly people, and 10-year visas for only $135. Almost makes me wanna be Thai instead of a US citizen.

There are no walk-in interviews at the Bangkok Embassy period. Everything is scheduled ahead of time. chuckd is correct in that the above statement is not relvent to this topic. Prior, US citizens were allowed to accompany Thai's to a US visa interview.

thaihome, I think it will last because the majority of people who do US visa interviews don't bother to check Thai Visa. Plus, US Citizens have a legitimate reason to need access to the ACS and it did not appear there were any plans to block the door between the ACS section and visa interview section. Infact some ACS services (like passport drop offs) take place near the interview section.

Furthermore, there's no space issue at the US embassy, compared to the Thai consulate in Vientiane, the Siam BTS station, and any Thai Bus, the US interview section is Bangkok is like a Hilton luxury suite. Getting a US visa is like 10x better than getting a Thai tourist visa in Vientiane--no long lines, no pushing and shoving, places to sit, a/c, non-smelly people, and 10-year visas for only $135. Almost makes me wanna be Thai instead of a US citizen.

How is it not relevent? The OP said the policy was changed without any notice. Unless the website was changed in the three days from when he was at the embassy and my seeing it on their site, the policy change was announced. They didn't buy a full page advertisement in the Bangkok Post but it was there. If this thread is only about US citizens having free reign throughout the embassy then I'm wrong. I thought it was about not being allowed to accompany a visa applicant into the embassy. Anyone with legitimate business is being allowed into the embassy.

How is it not relevent? The OP said the policy was changed without any notice. Unless the website was changed in the three days from when he was at the embassy and my seeing it on their site, the policy change was announced. They didn't buy a full page advertisement in the Bangkok Post but it was there. If this thread is only about US citizens having free reign throughout the embassy then I'm wrong. I thought it was about not being allowed to accompany a visa applicant into the embassy. Anyone with legitimate business is being allowed into the embassy.

It's not relevant because it's simply explaining that there are no walk-ins for visa interviews. All US Citizens can still walk into the Embassy's annex, where the interviews take place, without giving a reason, UNLESS they show up with a visa applicant, in which case they're not permitted in unless they have a reason.

The change is that they're not allowing friends/spouses/fiances to accompany visa applicants to their scheduled interviews.

The people pointing to the "no walk-ins for visa interviews" policy aren't making a relevant point because that policy isn't new, and that's not what I'm posting about. My wife had a scheduled interview.

The people saying they agree with the new policy -- you're welcome to that opinion and in some situations I agree with it -- but I think that's missing the point too. By my reasoning, there are 2 issues:

1. The policy changed, and in a way that requires changed planning by some visa applicants and their family, but the Embassy did not announce the change, even though it has one very efficient way of doing so -- putting it on the web page that all visa applicants must print and bring to the interview (the page with the bar code and interview appointment information).

2. The people who decide who enters a US Embassy should be the US-citizen staffers of that Embassy, not the host country's citizens who are employed by the Embassy. As a wild hypothetical, imagine a not-yet-arrested Harry Nicolaide knocking on his Embassy's (New Zealand) door, but getting denied entrance by a Thai citizen who tells him "you insulted the wrong guy."

The people saying they agree with the new policy -- you're welcome to that opinion and in some situations I agree with it -- but I think that's missing the point too. By my reasoning, there are 2 issues:

1. The policy changed, and in a way that requires changed planning by some visa applicants and their family, but the Embassy did not announce the change, even though it has one very efficient way of doing so -- putting it on the web page that all visa applicants must print and bring to the interview (the page with the bar code and interview appointment information).

2. The people who decide who enters a US Embassy should be the US-citizen staffers of that Embassy, not the host country's citizens who are employed by the Embassy. As a wild hypothetical, imagine a not-yet-arrested Harry Nicolaide knocking on his Embassy's (New Zealand) door, but getting denied entrance by a Thai citizen who tells him "you insulted the wrong guy."

hey ajc, wanted to say thanks for the heads up and information you provided in this post. It helped me anticipate and likely saved me several hours of stress. So thanks for posting.

I actually don't mind a Thai person making this basic decision because I'd rather my tax dollars go to something other than having a US citizen wait at the front and refuse the 4-5 applicants/day who are likely to come with the same situation we recently faced. Keep in mind, that the area US citizens are being rejected, is already embassy property. I'm pretty sure if you simply sat down, and refused to move, an actual US consul officer would eventually come out to help. Despite their ineffiecienes at times, I think a Thai can pretty easily tell when a US citizen seriously needs to get in, and when not....

You may not like this, but I believe you likely are just are not comfortable taking orders from a Thai.

I think made for movie issues regarding embassy entry never happen...and even if I was unfairly being prosecuted in Thailand, I doubt my US embassy would do anything. If a US citizen came to the US embassy trying to evade Thai police, I'd bet the ambassador himself would kick he/she out.

--matt

hey ajc, wanted to say thanks for the heads up and information you provided in this post. It helped me anticipate and likely saved me several hours of stress. So thanks for posting.

I'm glad it was of use to somebody! :o

You may not like this, but I believe you likely are just are not comfortable taking orders from a Thai.

I can see why you've drawn this conclusion, but your implied assumption is incorrect.

I'm no less comfortable taking an order from a Thai than any other person. That level of comfort is equally low with all, but in response to your implication, the level doesn't matter so much as the relative level.

I think made for movie issues regarding embassy entry never happen...and even if I was unfairly being prosecuted in Thailand, I doubt my US embassy would do anything. If a US citizen came to the US embassy trying to evade Thai police, I'd bet the ambassador himself would kick he/she out.

Agreed on the movie drama, which is why I qualified my hypothetical as being a little wild. Nevertheless, that is an issue to me. The concept is important. More so in some other countries than in Thailand.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Has nothing to do with changing the walls in the area.

Note the phrase in the quote:

"As we transition to the new appointment system, we will continue to accept walk-ins..." Seems pretty plain to me they will stop accepting walk-ins for US citizen services in the future.

TH

Edited by thaihome

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Has nothing to do with changing the walls in the area.

Note the phrase in the quote:

"As we transition to the new appointment system, we will continue to accept walk-ins..." Seems pretty plain to me they will stop accepting walk-ins for US citizen services in the future.

TH

I wasn't aware of the statement by the US embassy to start using appointments for ACS services. But it's easy to solve, just make an appointment at the same time as your thai friend's visa interview. BTW, it doesn't appear that the "schedule system" is working for the ACS because when I click on the link to schedule an appointment, it does not work. Either way, it says in the FAQ they will still let you into the embassy to schedule an appointment

"8. I know an American citizen who does not have internet access. How can he or she make an appointment?

American Citizens may come to the Consular Section during normal American Citizen Service operating hours to use a special computer terminal that allows them to make an appointment. Because it will be necessary to pass security in order to use the computer terminal here, we advise all Americans to find other means of accessing the internet."

There are also some services that still do not require an appointment....i wonder if additional passport pages is one of them :o

come to think of it, when I had passport pages added in Vietienne, Laos in the afternoon, the US Embassy even let my Thai Girlfriend enter the waiting area w/o an appointment...but then again the place was empty. This was only a year or two back. Maybe the state department is trying to save money on Air conditioning costs :o... (outdoor waiting area at US Embassy, Laos)

--matt

Edited by MattFS218

This arbitrary ruling has nothing to do with US Citizens Services and applies to Visa applicants only.

Please follow the trail in his post above and you will see forqalso opened the BKK Embassy web site. He then clicked on the 'VISAS" link and then clicked the 'NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS' link. It has nothing to do with US Citizens services and applies only to visa applications.

Just for grins and giggles, I sent a query to the State Department early last week asking about this policy. They haven't bothered to answer me. As Gomer Pyle would say.......Surprise, surprise!

I wasn't aware of the statement by the US embassy to start using appointments for ACS services. But it's easy to solve, just make an appointment at the same time as your thai friend's visa interview. BTW, it doesn't appear that the "schedule system" is working for the ACS because when I click on the link to schedule an appointment, it does not work. Either way, it says in the FAQ they will still let you into the embassy to schedule an appointment

"8. I know an American citizen who does not have internet access. How can he or she make an appointment?

American Citizens may come to the Consular Section during normal American Citizen Service operating hours to use a special computer terminal that allows them to make an appointment. Because it will be necessary to pass security in order to use the computer terminal here, we advise all Americans to find other means of accessing the internet."

There are also some services that still do not require an appointment....i wonder if additional passport pages is one of them :o

Transition - a process or period in which something undergoes a change and passes from one state, stage, form, or activity to another.

Give it a while. Remember up until a few months ago, in Bangkok, a USC was allowed to accompany a significant other to a immigrant visa interview and that changed.

TH

Transition - a process or period in which something undergoes a change and passes from one state, stage, form, or activity to another.

Give it a while. Remember up until a few months ago, in Bangkok, a USC was allowed to accompany a significant other to a immigrant visa interview and that changed.

TH

Their lack of communication about the policy has nothing to do with security, or concerns that the USC will find an alternative way to beat the system (such as using ACS). They have something you want very badly, and you have nothing they care about (i.e. their lack of communication is simply a result of them not giving a sh*t about the hardships that unannounced policy changes may cause you).

TH

Their lack of communication about the policy has nothing to do with security, or concerns that the USC will find an alternative way to beat the system (such as using ACS). They have something you want very badly, and you have nothing they care about (i.e. their lack of communication is simply a result of them not giving a sh*t about the hardships that unannounced policy changes may cause you).

My previous post was not a reply to thaihome. I did not mean to quote him in my post.

• 2 weeks later...

This arbitrary ruling has nothing to do with US Citizens Services and applies to Visa applicants only.

Please follow the trail in his post above and you will see forqalso opened the BKK Embassy web site. He then clicked on the 'VISAS" link and then clicked the 'NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS' link. It has nothing to do with US Citizens services and applies only to visa applications.

Just for grins and giggles, I sent a query to the State Department early last week asking about this policy. They haven't bothered to answer me. As Gomer Pyle would say.......Surprise, surprise!

Just thought you might like to be updated as to how the State Department responds to questions on their web site. Short answer is...they simply don't do anything.

Nary a word heard from that bastion of freedom and lover of red tape, the US State Department. Maybe Hillary has everybody looking for the Rose Law Firm billing records. :o

Edited by chuckd

Just thought you might like to be updated as to how the State Department responds to questions on their web site. Short answer is...they simply don't do anything.

Nary a word heard from that bastion of freedom and lover of red tape, the US State Department. Maybe Hillary has everybody looking for the Rose Law Firm billing records. :o

Be patient. I emailed the consulate in BKK to determine where I needed to go to file an I-130 for my wife. I received a response 6 weeks later...

Just because a federal agency has a policy to do something, does not mean they have the funds to do it. I once managed an IRS unit that ran 12 months behind in answering mail. Then when the taxpayer wanted to appeal a decision, the Appeals office did not want to take the time because they had more important fish to fry.

Banks are no better. You ask a question online by email, and get canned response #44(g) which is inapplicable.

Be patient. I emailed the consulate in BKK to determine where I needed to go to file an I-130 for my wife. I received a response 6 weeks later...

Was that the Consulate or the Bangkok USCIS office? I have e-mailed the USCIS office and got a reply pretty quickly. Also, if you had looked at the USCIS web site for the Bangkok office it plainly says they accept I-130 petitions from people resident in Thailand.

TH