Thai Working In The Uk

Depends on how long your wife has been in the UK and if she is a citizen. If she has been naturalised into the UK then she should have been issued a NI number as part of the process.

If she is not a citizen yet then I do not think NI is applicable, but don't quote me on that one.

Somewhat tricky situation, but would be curious myself for the answer

K

Simply pop down to the local social security office with the usual proof of address etc. and they can issue a NI number(might have to wait 2-3 weeks).Your wife can actually work whilst she is awaiting her NI number,I think it would be best to apply for her NI number asap.

Good luck

my thai wife can work in the uk if she wants to, can anyone tell me, what i have to do etc, where do i go, for a national insurance number etc for her, and what else.thanks a lot

She can't get an insurance number until she gets a job (I think one on which she would have to pay National Insurance) or claims a benefit, e.g. child benefit. See the DWP webpage about Applying for a National Insurance Number. It says she could get one if she is looking for work, but I am not sure that that is true in practice. She will eventually be interviewed, but it's a slow process - no interview is arranged until the department is satisfied that she does not already have a NI number. They don't interview expectant mothers on the basis that they will be claiming child benefit - one has to wait until the child is born with all the mobility problems that causes.

Without a National Insurance number, she will have to show a prospective employer the leave to remain in her passport. It appears that employers are required to understand all such relevant stamps and carnets, for otherwise they would, I believe, be in breach of the law, either for employing someone who was not permitted to work or for discriminating on the basis of nationality.

My wifes friends have succesfully applied for NI numbers over the last few months , none had jobs they were simply looking for work.I think the total length of time on each occasion to get a NI number was approx. 4 week.My wifes own experiance a number of years ago was equelly painless.

I suspect it is actually illegal to refuse employment on the basis that an NI number hasn't been issued.

I am a Thai woman and got my NI numbers even when I was not looking for a job nor claiming benefits. I also am not a British citizen and have no intention to become one as I love my Thai passport too much :o. (In fact,it 's because the insult from my ex who said I married him for British citizen!!!)

Most of the employers I applied for the jobs before I got my NI number didn't really care much about it, they just said give it to them later whenever I get it. Anyway,bare in mind that you have heard it before in UK about illegal immigrants working for reputable firms. Some place like British library,House of common and one illegal immigrant who worked as a police in Hackney!!! Surely,non of them have NI numbers!?!? :D

You might also want to take a look at Thailand-UK UK Work forum . You have to sign up to read it, but it has some interesting stories. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in whether those merely seeking work (without eligibility for a jobseeker's allowance) can get a NI number.

Is it obvious from passports nowadays whether those entering on a settlement visa (typically spouse or child) have permission to work? I just checked my wife's entry stamp from 1999; it said nothing about working. The relevant section on the defence against charge of illegal employment reads:

A passport or other travel document endorsed to show that the holder has current leave to enter, or remain, in the United Kingdom and is permitted to take the employment in question, provided that it does not require the issue of a work permit.

I am a Thai woman and got my NI numbers even when I was not looking for a job nor claiming benefits. I also am not a British citizen.

Most of the employers I applied for the jobs before I got my NI number didn't really care much about it, they just said give it to them later whenever I get it. Anyway,bare in mind that you have heard it before in UK about illegal immigrants working for reputable firms. Some place like British library,House of common and one illegal immigrant who worked as a police in Hackney!!! Surely,non of them have NI numbers!?!? :o

Things have been tightened up considerably. For her last two jobs, my wife had to show her Thai passport when she started work. At the start of 2004 there was a £5,000 fine for knowingly or recklessly employing someone over 16 who is not allowed to work. A big problem was social security payments being claimed by fictitious people, which is why NI numbers now take so long to get.

It used to be quite simple to get a false British passport issued by a passport office. I understand checking was improved after British MP John Stonehouse faked his suicide and used a false passport to travel to Australia. His passport was in the name of a dead constituent.

Hi Geoffers,

In order to get a national insurance number your wife should contact your local Job Centre and make an appointment for an interview. If successful the applicant will be issued with a NINo approximately 5 weeks later.

The applicant has to show that they are either actively seeking work or have already started work. On either count the Job Centre will ask to see proof; i.e. rejection letters from jobs which have been sought or confirmation from the employer.

To expand upon your question a little I will address the issue of opening a bank account too. The government has tightened up the requirements and so now an individual needs their passport and a second form of ID in order to open an account. The second form of ID has to be either a utility/council tax bill in the applicant's name or a driving licence. It is unlikely that your wife will either be named on any bills or have a UK driving licence. In order to open the account you'll have to change a bill in to your wife's name or obtain a driving licence for her. If the latter bear in mind that a person of "good standing" has to sign the photo that accompanies the application to the effect that they've known the applicant for at least 2 years. If you know no such person then your wife will have to go to the nearest local DVLA office for them to process the application.

Alternatively, lie!

Best of luck,

Scouse.

Another reason for changing one of the utility bills to joint names is to collect evidence for the application for ILR, namely SET(M). In retrospect, perhaps you should have done that months ago! (I didn't think to do it in advance either.)

my thai wife can work in the uk if she wants to, can anyone tell me, what i have to do etc, where do i go, for a national insurance number etc for her, and what else.thanks a lot

She can't get an insurance number until she gets a job (I think one on which she would have to pay National Insurance) or claims a benefit, e.g. child benefit. See the DWP webpage about Applying for a National Insurance Number. It says she could get one if she is looking for work, but I am not sure that that is true in practice. She will eventually be interviewed, but it's a slow process - no interview is arranged until the department is satisfied that she does not already have a NI number. They don't interview expectant mothers on the basis that they will be claiming child benefit - one has to wait until the child is born with all the mobility problems that causes.

Without a National Insurance number, she will have to show a prospective employer the leave to remain in her passport. It appears that employers are required to understand all such relevant stamps and carnets, for otherwise they would, I believe, be in breach of the law, either for employing someone who was not permitted to work or for discriminating on the basis of nationality.

When we were living in London, my wife got Child Benefit for the kids, but I don't recall her getting an NI number. (although the child benefit was basically arranged by the health visitor after the birth of one of our daughters), and before you ask, we did stop it when we emigrated.

It doesn't really mean much while we're living in Thailand, but if we were to move back if I lost the job that lets me telecommute, would she already have an NI number (possibly somewhere amongst the child benefit stuff).

When we were living in London, my wife got Child Benefit for the kids, but I don't recall her getting an NI number. (although the child benefit was basically arranged by the health visitor after the birth of one of our daughters), and before you ask, we did stop it when we emigrated.

It doesn't really mean much while we're living in Thailand, but if we were to move back if I lost the job that lets me telecommute, would she already have an NI number (possibly somewhere amongst the child benefit stuff).

Look on the Child Benefit award notice. If a NINo has been allocated it will be given there. Failing that contact the Job Centre, give your wife's details and they can check.

Scouse.