What Is Best Skype, Net2 Phone.

micman

Just wondering what is best service for cheap international PC ( in Thailand ) to landline phones calls in other countries and the US. What are some of the other ThaiVisa members using for this service and what are your opinions as to the best.

Thanks

I think generally the more bandwidth you have, the better quality it will be.

I use Net2Phone.... when I made the calls, it would break up every so often but tolerable for a cheap phone call :o but, the other end (I've been on the other end) is much much clearer.

I haven't used anything else. also recommend getting a good headset.

Just wondering what is best service for cheap international PC ( in Thailand ) to landline phones calls in other countries and the US.  What are some of the other ThaiVisa members using for this service and what are your opinions as to the best.

Thanks

We're using Skypeout to call to Ireland and the US (California) and Iconnecthere.com to call to the UK.

Iconnecthere has better quality to the UK than Skype - with Skype, we got large delays and lower sound quality. The rates with Skypeout are slightly lower but the quality differential is too great to justify it (particularly when Iconnecthere only costs about 2c per minute! :o )

Apparently Skype to an Irish landline or mobile is the same quality as using our Thai landline.

Anybody using Iconnecthere to the US as that was one of my choices.  If anyone is using it how is the quality with pc in thailand to landline in the US.  I do have a reliable ADSL connection.

As I said, we're using it to the UK. The only problem we have is not related to the reliability of the ADSL connection but the reliability of the connection at their end. Quite often it takes a few attempts to get connected. The software shows I'm connected but I don't hear anything... Apparently the phone rings at the other end but they just get silence...

I'm not sure if that's a problem with Iconnecthere or with their breakout to the UK network so I don't know if you'd have similar problems calling the US.

I have used Skype, Telcan, Idial.com and Netphone. I use Skype (PC to PC) most days with broadband and a headset and usually it's fine (best to have both parties with broadband). Now and again, it goes a bit funny but if you call back, the problem usually goes away. Considering PC to PC is free, Skype is an excellent service.

As a back-up to Skype, I use Telcan (tecan.net) which is a callback service based in Canada. I used to use Idial.com as my callback service, but it got too unreliable so I switched to Telcan. The service is usually good, but now and again the connection quality is poor.

I have used net2phone but not from to Thailand, quality nothing brilliant and big hassles when your credit runs out, say your credit card has been replaced in the meantime , you have to start faxing bank statements with the new card number on it etc to the US, this may be Ok if you're at home but it was abig problem when abroad without access to all documents.. Generally difficult to top up account.

Try NIKOTEL :Cheap and very reliable Better quality than Skype or Callserve ...

No problem ever with credit card

China, USA, Spain, UK, Austria, France, Norway, Netherlands, Germany..:0.029USD/mn = 1,2 baht/mn

Better quality if you buy a Voip phone or headset.

Last but not least, they have a free service called NIKOFAX which gives you access to a FaxToMail service with your own Free International Fax Number in UK or Germany!

Pascal

Has anyone tried using a Vonage phone in Thailand?

I use Vonage. It is by far the best quality VOIP out there. I pay US$25 a month for unlimited calls to the US. UK and other destinations 3 cents a minute. Unlike Skype and others, I talk on a phone and I don't even need a computer. And, the big bonus, I have a phone number in the US. When people call the number there, my phone rings here and they have no idea they're talking to some idiot in Thailand called ChiangMaiThai. No delay. Excellent sound quality. You will need ADSL of at least 150kpbs.

Also, it won't work with TSpeed as CAT would rather you didn't make cheap international calls and so blocks the ports.

Setting it up was a bitch, but now everything is good.

Has anyone tried using a Vonage phone in Thailand?

I use Vonage. It is by far the best quality VOIP out there. I pay US$25 a month for unlimited calls to the US. UK and other destinations 3 cents a minute. Unlike Skype and others, I talk on a phone and I don't even need a computer. And, the big bonus, I have a phone number in the US. When people call the number there, my phone rings here and they have no idea they're talking to some idiot in Thailand called ChiangMaiThai. No delay. Excellent sound quality. You will need ADSL of at least 150kpbs.

Also, it won't work with TSpeed as CAT would rather you didn't make cheap international calls and so blocks the ports.

Setting it up was a bitch, but now everything is good.

The problem with vonage is that you need a US shipping address and a US credit card to access the service...so not for everyone...

There's no minimum usage with NIKOTEL compared with 24.99$ with Vonage...

You can have an international virtual number for both phone & fax with Vonage(respectively 4.99 and 9.99$/month) but those services are free with NIKOTEL...

A 56 kbps connection is enough for good quality communication with Nikotel ,however more speed = better quality of course!

My conclusion is that NIKOTEL can be a lot cheaper than Vonage and accessible to more people.

I use Vonage. It is by far the best quality VOIP out there. I pay US$25 a month for unlimited calls to the US. UK and other destinations 3 cents a minute.

How do you get 3 cents a minute? I have Vonage in the U.S. and pay 9 cents to Bangkok and 12 cents upcountry. It's still a great price but 3 cents would be better.

I wish I could get virtual Thai phone number--that wouldbe even better!!

I use Vonage. It is by far the best quality VOIP out there. I pay US$25 a month for unlimited calls to the US. UK and other destinations 3 cents a minute.

How do you get 3 cents a minute? I have Vonage in the U.S. and pay 9 cents to Bangkok and 12 cents upcountry. It's still a great price but 3 cents would be better.

I wish I could get virtual Thai phone number--that wouldbe even better!!

Three cents to UK. Much more to Thailand. I agree, a Thai virtual number would be great. We'll probably see it eventually. Mexico and UK too I believe were both added recently. You do need a US billing address to get it set up so probably only an option for Americans or people with an American as a close friend. There is a $14.99 package.

Three cents to UK. Much more to Thailand. I agree, a Thai virtual number would be great. We'll probably see it eventually. Mexico and UK too I believe were both added recently. You do need a US billing address to get it set up so probably only an option for Americans or people with an American as a close friend. There is a $14.99 package.

That's what I have. They don't have my area code so I have a San Francisco area number (even though I'm in Texas). But it's still a good deal to get all our U.S long distance as well as the phone calls to Thailand. We used to use calling cards but this is a lot less hassle.