International School In For Children Bangkok

Aswin

What are the choices ? How much per year ?

Are they still doing corporal punishment at school in Thailand ?

Do you have to have short hair, crew cut, uniform and all ?

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Edited by Aswin

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

Check out the ISAT (International Schools Association of Thailand) website, where there is a complete list of schools.

As regards fees, most schools have information on their websites, or their admissions office will give it. The most expensive would be those generally regarded as the top six: ISB, Patana, RIS, NIST, Harrow and Shrewsbury.

There should NO corporal punishment in any properly accredited international schools.

International schools in Thailand do have school uniform, as it is very much the tradition of this country. It varies from, at one extreme, shirt & tie, long trousers, jacket and straw hat, to schools (like mine) where it is a polo shirt and short or long trousers. No crew cuts in international schools, as far as I know!

I think grtaylor gave you all the info you will need to look up the various international schools here in thailand. I would just like to add that our son graduated from Ruamrudee Intl. School (RIS) last year. He attended from Kg1 thru 12th grade and I highly recommend the school. It's a Cathloic run school (Redemptrist). Good luck in your search.

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

300,000-600,000 baht per year.

No corporal punishment.

All schools have their own uniforms.

Hair styles are optional.

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

Check out the Family and Children section of TV as this question gets asked at least once a month, hence there is a plethora of information available in this section on international schools.

On hair styles, normally this doesn't come up as it relates to the hairstyle, although some schools don't like hair coloring (normally more an issue for girls).

Edited by Old Man River

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

NIST is great! Good location (sukhumvit soi15), ahead of things, great teachers, lots of choices when it come to learning languages, uniforms but you can have your hair the way you like it, no corporal punishment and lots of activities after school hours.

I live very near one of those schools and seeing the thai flag in front of it doesn't stop disturbing me.

Which international school would skip this flag, thai anthem, and brainwashing about pillars of thai society ? I suspect the Lycee Francais is one of them but it's so far from our place plus I'm considering an english speaking education for the young one.

Edited by luisparis

I live very near one of those schools and seeing the thai flag in front of it doesn't stop disturbing me.

Which international school would skip this flag, thai anthem, and brainwashing about pillars of thai society ? I suspect the Lycee Francais is one of them but it's so far from our place plus I'm considering an english speaking education for the young one.

I'm not quite sure if I understand you right.

If you're suggesting that international schools should ignore the flag, the anthem and the history of the "host country", then, as an international school teacher, I think that is quite wrong.

I think you will find that virtually all international schools include something about respect for "host country culture" in their mission statement. I feel that is right and proper. Would you, for instance, expect foreign students at ISP (the International School of Paris) to learn nothing about French culture/language/cuisine?

G

If you're suggesting that international schools should ignore the flag, the anthem and the history of the "host country", then, as an international school teacher, I think that is quite wrong.

I think you will find that virtually all international schools include something about respect for "host country culture" in their mission statement. I feel that is right and proper. Would you, for instance, expect foreign students at ISP (the International School of Paris) to learn nothing about French culture/language/cuisine?

G

Well, I don't know what they study at the ISP or how accustomed they get to french culture, nor expect anything from them, but I've been through french schooling and finished it without having to stand to the french flag or sing the national anthem, and while I'm not the most patriotic citizen around, I feel OK with a culture largely atheist celebrating the decapitation of its former monarchs, and would feel outraged at my kids beeing taught notions like "unconditionnal respect" or to kneel in front of a monk for instance. Hence the serious question above, and I suspect foreign schools like Harrow would try and push less thai culture elements in its pupils' brain than a thai school like Shwresberry. I guess people have different motivations to stay in Thailand, but bathing in local culture is definetely not one of mine - nor of a bunch of other expats .

Edited by luisparis

G

Well, I don't know what they study at the ISP or how accustomed they get to french culture, nor expect anything from them, but I've been through french schooling and finished it without having to stand to the french flag or sing the national anthem, and while I'm not the most patriotic citizen around, I feel OK with a culture largely atheist celebrating the decapitation of its former monarchs, and would feel outraged at my kids beeing taught notions like "unconditionnal respect" or to kneel in front of a monk for instance. Hence the serious question above, and I suspect foreign schools like Harrow would try and push less thai culture elements in its pupils' brain than a thai school like Shwresberry. I guess people have different motivations to stay in Thailand, but bathing in local culture is definetely not one of mine - nor of a bunch of other expats .

Fair enough - we're all different - Thai culture is one of the things which has kept me here for nineteen years.

By the way, international schools are required by the Ministry of Education to have a "Thai Studies" course for students. At my school it covers survival language, cultural customs such as Wai Khru, Loy Kratong and Songkran, and Thai history. Its not optional.

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

Check out the ISAT (International Schools Association of Thailand) website, where there is a complete list of schools.

As regards fees, most schools have information on their websites, or their admissions office will give it. The most expensive would be those generally regarded as the top six: ISB, Patana, RIS, NIST, Harrow and Shrewsbury.

There should NO corporal punishment in any properly accredited international schools.

International schools in Thailand do have school uniform, as it is very much the tradition of this country. It varies from, at one extreme, shirt & tie, long trousers, jacket and straw hat, to schools (like mine) where it is a polo shirt and short or long trousers. No crew cuts in international schools, as far as I know!

I go to Harrow and it's the best school I have been to! I've

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

I go to Harrow, It's the best school I have ever been to! I been to Bangkok Patana, Regents and Assumption. None of them made me feel as good as Harrow! I wear a boater hat :o We do Thai studies so we do not forget our country! We have to do it and like someone already said, we do all the Thai cultural holidays.

Edited by icebkk

Thank you all. I'll check out the ISAT website.

When I was a kid, I went to Saint Gabriel's College (โรงเรียนเซนต์คาเบรียล) in BKK, a private Catholic school but not an international school. The best school in the country at the time, IMO. Our days off were thursday and sunday instead of saturday and sunday. Crew cut, uniform, corporal punishment and all. We had to call our teachers, "master".

Man, were we abused... lol. I guess its not like that anymore.

Thanks again.

G

Fair enough - we're all different - Thai culture is one of the things which has kept me here for nineteen years.

By the way, international schools are required by the Ministry of Education to have a "Thai Studies" course for students. At my school it covers survival language, cultural customs such as Wai Khru, Loy Kratong and Songkran, and Thai history. Its not optional.

Also keep in mind that a large percentage of kids in these international schools are Thai. But it sounds like luisparis would consider that a detriment to his children attending, wouldn't want them contaminated with any locals.

TH

I have 2 boys, 6 and 8.

I go to Harrow, It's the best school I have ever been to! I been to Bangkok Patana, Regents and Assumption. None of them made me feel as good as Harrow! I wear a boater hat :D We do Thai studies so we do not forget our country! We have to do it and like someone already said, we do all the Thai cultural holidays.

I have heard that their English lessons could do with some improvement ?? :o

Also keep in mind that a large percentage of kids in these international schools are Thai. But it sounds like luisparis would consider that a detriment to his children attending, wouldn't want them contaminated with any locals.

TH

Oh my ! I already can't figure out when going through Bangkok how all those thai people ever got a visa to any country, including this one, but you mean they can also enrol international schools ? No wonder foreign parents worry :o

Seriously, living next to one of the top BKK schools and having a few thai business partners who send their kids to those international schools, I don't worry about the kind of locals who attend them, but if someone sends their kids to an international school following an english or american curriculum, it's probably because they want them to acquire a more global anglo saxon type of worldview and thinking process.

Edited by luisparis

Our 4 year old son goes to Rasami near Victory Mt. Great school, very happy. As noted above most of the students are Thai or luuk-krung (thai-western). But they all get extra points for English on the playground. And they do the anthem every morning but I'd say it's far, far from any sort of brainwashing. It's just showing some basic respect to Thailand. There's a lot taught about respecting across cultures.

And they do the anthem every morning but I'd say it's far, far from any sort of brainwashing.

I definetely don't agree with you on that one.

Lets see. Get to school and run around in the playground. Then time to line up in the school yard. Then the music comes on and kids mumble-sing and most of the teachers smile (since they aren't Thai) for maybe 30-60 seconds. Music over, headmaster talks a little about whatever (but not about the song or anything related) and they march off to the class to a non-Thai teacher. The least of my worries about rasing a child would be that music in the morning, which is the same music on TV at 8 & 6, at the movie, on the BTS, etc., doing some sort of damage. I have trouble seeing danger or taking offense in this.

But each to his own...

And they do the anthem every morning but I'd say it's far, far from any sort of brainwashing.

I definetely don't agree with you on that one.

If it is intended to brainwash young kids with nationalism it sure hasn't done the trick over the past 13 years but instead made me even more wary of the pseudo-fascist way things are run here.

The least of my worries about rasing a child would be that music in the morning, which is the same music on TV at 8 & 6, at the movie, on the BTS, etc., doing some sort of damage. I have trouble seeing danger or taking offense in this.

And the fact this music is everywhere at the same time doesn't ring any bell to you ?? Besides at the movie it's a different song, but also there with obvious propaganda intentions.

So the question would be : Do international schools have students sing the thai anthem in front of the national flag in the morning ? Which ones ?

One of the things I appreciate in Thailand is expats can live comfortably while rather insulated from both overly exotic local flavours and overly flavoured kinds of expats. I would definetely expect the same for my kid's education.

Edited by luisparis

The least of my worries about rasing a child would be that music in the morning, which is the same music on TV at 8 & 6, at the movie, on the BTS, etc., doing some sort of damage. I have trouble seeing danger or taking offense in this.

And the fact this music is everywhere at the same time doesn't ring any bell to you ?? Besides at the movie it's a different song, but also there with obvious propaganda intentions.

So the question would be : Do international schools have students sing the thai anthem in front of the national flag in the morning ? Which ones ?

One of the things I appreciate in Thailand is expats can live comfortably while rather insulated from both overly exotic local flavours and overly flavoured kinds of expats. I would definetely expect the same for my kid's education.

Have you escaped from somewhere? :o:D:D

Corporal punishment in all schools in Thailand was made illegal within the last 10 years. I doubt that it happens in any reputable international schools today but it is still alive and well in Thai private and government schools. The girl who was caned in Bangkok last year for missing school due to attending a protest (that she apparently didn't attend) was given 18 strokes (I think it was based on a pre-arranged tariff of strokes per class missed). The outcry in the media was about the number of strokes she received, not that she was illegally caned. An Education Ministry spokeswoman confirmed that caning was illegal but the ministry failed to take any action against the school or the teacher and the school supported the teacher. That's Thailand. Rules were made to be broken and the young have it illegally beaten in them that influential people can break the law with inpunity and the government will not protect them. My other half at the age of 10 was beaten in a Thai government schooll along with the whole class with a heavy stick the size of a broom handle resulting in extensive bruising and pain in sitting down. It doesn't seem to have made her respectful of her elders!

FYI, not all international school plays the national anthem in the morning and make their students stand. Maybe they do play it, but not loudly. I think the only ones that do and make students stand are the ones owned and run by thai people.

Total, utter, complete <deleted> :o

Please make a list of international schools that do not adhere to the national anthem.

Some people :D

Total, utter, complete <deleted> :o

Please make a list of international schools that do not adhere to the national anthem.

Some people :D

As a retired school administrator who once did some serious applying for a few international schools in Bangkok, I think JacknDanny is correct. In fact, at least as of a few years ago, even though the headmaster might be a Westerner, there also had to be at least one key administrator that was a Thai national.

I fail to see how any parent would object to their child standing to the National Anthem. As a parent myself, I speak to many other parents who think likewise.It is just normal for anyone wanting to integrate into Thai society. As I am intending being here for many years with my family, I am more than happy for this simple sign of respect, which takes place at every school that I know.

Maybe this objection is a French thing? Or somebody just trolling :o