Blank Dvd Media Discs

chanchao

I recently got a DVD burner. So far so good, and I've tried some different brands and types of blank discs.

Am looking for good quality but cheaper DVD+R and +RW discs... Or even 'not cheap but absolute top quality' What are your experiences?

So far TDK+RW seems nice, but is not cheapo of course.

Cheers,

Chanchao

The cheap brands are not reliable for replay on DVD players, but they

do play on another computer.

I use TDK, Verbatim or Sony, all around 100 baht each for the 4X disks.

Better prices are possible for large quantities

I usually stick with discs produced in Japan for the absolute highest quality possible. This doesn't mean Japanese brands, but particular discs which have "made in Japan" stamped on the box. I know that TDK DVD-R's and all "That's" media are made in Japan, in the Taiyo Yuden factory. "That's" media can usually be had for no less than 150 baht and is hard to find, but TDK media is around 100 and can be found everywhere. The success of a write can also depend on the drive itself. My old 8x Plextor drive couldn't write to nearly any discs, while my new Pioneer drive has yet to find a disc it doesn't like.

For normal burns, I use printable discs (since I have a printer that can print direct to CDs/DVDs). They cost around 18 baht/disc (DVD-R, 4x). My drive is unlocked, so it can write these discs at 12x.

My drive is a pioneer A08 OEM. A guy named Nils modified the firmware so that it allows writing of any media at 16x. Of course, it doesn't always write at 16x... if the error rate is too high, it will drop to a lower speed. However, I usually can write 4x discs at 8x, 12x, and 16x successfully, and I've even written 1x discs at 12x. I haven't experienced any problems writing at high speeds, and the discs play back fine on all my readers/players.

Usually all DVD writers (unlike CD writers) are locked to the speed that's hard-coded on the disc when writing a DVD. There are some exceptions for certain writers and certain discs from certain manufacturers, which allow writing certain 4x media at 8x and certain 8x media at 16x.

The NEC 16x drive is supposed to have a similar hacked firmware. You can search for the information at forums.rpc1.org.

I buy my printable discs bulk, at the "Sunshine" store in IT Mall. It's 18 baht/disc for 50 discs. The store is easily found, there are bulk discs scattered throughout the store front.

TDK and Sony discs can actually be found at the Powerbuy stores for less than the prices at Pantip/Itmall. I have no idea why. According to my friend, you can buy them in Chinatown for half that price.

Of course, the cheapest place would probably be in the US. Best buy and compusa regularly sell brand name bulk packs at regular price for a quarter of what you would pay here. Wait for a sale or rebates, and they're even cheaper.

• 2 years later...

I have some jpg photos that I want to burn to a CD but I am using Princo CD and CD burner XP Pro cannot see them, deepburner CD writer can see them but cannot read jpg files and I trried 2 others yesterday including Nero 6 and 7 and they would not burn to a Princo CD though it did say that it had.

Has anybody got any idea of a good CD writer that will work.

I am using an Acer 4152NLCi laptop with a supposedly cd/write/rewrite/combo drive.

Thanks in advance (hopefully)

I use RIDATA theyare cheap and good. Bad experiences with Princo and here both CD-R and DVD-R. My importand data I write on + Medias only.

Not wanting to disagree with the majority but Princo were always reputed to be one of the worst possible brands you can get. They must be one of the cheapest because so many pirated cds are Princo.

I've used LG burners for a long time and they seem to cope with anything. If you take a look in IT City shops they nearly always have some dvd's going cheap. They will have some promotion where you get a free pack of dvd's with a new burner. At the end of the promotion they sell off the left over discs cheaply. I've got some BenQ and HP 10 packs on my desk right now, cost about 150 baht for a 10 pack x16 and work perfectly. I always use +R.