The Lounge

Zzinged

Great idea for a motorcycling thread. Here are some pics from yesterday. The road ended so we took a boat taxi. 200 baht. Amazing Thailand......
Where was this exactly?

Our route took us through Mae Taeng on 1001 toward Phrao. Just past Mae Taeng and a km or so past the road to Buotong Falls, there is a concrete lane heading to the right. This concrete road south through forest ends up at Mae Kuang Dam just north of Doi Saket. You can arrange for the boat to pick you up at the only (two table) cafe in the village of Pasak Ngam. Really friendly folks there. We were looking for a trail out but to no avail. I had taken the boat across with the mountain bike in the past so I knew we had an out. This is a nice dam and I am surprised it doesn't get more use as it is so close to Doi Saket and Chiang Mai.

post-498-1233486282_thumb.jpg post-498-1233486226_thumb.jpg post-498-1233486309_thumb.jpg

I already posted these pics on GT-Rider but here's the same view but from 2006. Bit of a difference in the water level eh?

post-12876-1233551042_thumb.jpg post-12876-1233551077_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Zzinged GREAT IDEA.....now why didnt I think of it???

That DB6 is awesome, probably one of the better looking bikes of that style.

Abosolutely love Ducatis....have you ever seen anything so beautiful. As for the 999, well err....something just isnt right with that one.

Looks like Pikey is another Duc nutter...ur old bike looks hot, how did you ever leave her behind? Have you got any more pics Pikey?

She was a beaut mate and here's a pic before I made her a trackday only bike.

post-12876-1233548870_thumb.jpg

I also had an ST4s and after a particularly "enthusiastic" rip round the Dorset countryside, my girlfriend at the time compared it to "riding on the back of a dragon". That'll be the open carbon pipes again then :D (not shown as this pic was taken when I bought it as an ex-demo from the dealer).

post-12876-1233549009_thumb.jpg

Sold 'em both plus a couple of others when I upped sticks and moved over in 2005. Lovely bikes and oh to have the dosh and the riding opportunities for an 1198...... :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

I'm hearing you Pikey, I just picked up a new mag the other day with the 1198S tested in it. There actually saying its more refined than the 1098R & a hel_l of a lot cheaper too. I mean I don't exactly know how much the 1198S is going to be.....BUT based on the prices of the 1098S here in thailand, one can only figure the 1198S will be just slightly dearer.

Now back in my homeland they are priced more pleasantly, ive just gotta have one :o

As for some of the chaps here, they have saddled a newly released Kwaka er6n, which is priced VERY REASONABLY here in the land of verticle smiles.

Anyway, you are a legend...anyone who owns two dukes at one time is a legend.....LOVE UR STYLE. By the way AntR1 is going to buy me a 1098R, apparently they are only 2.4 mil here, so if you catch him on a good day he might buy you one too!!! THREE CHEERS FOR MR R1!

Well yesterday was a productive day. First I mounted the LED to the VMAX. Then I drove over to BIg D bikes to see what was up with ZZ bike. Looking at the pictures I noticed the LED was crooked. So today I bought stainless steel bolts & aircraft nuts to mount it.

Removed the LED tail light & drilled out the holes a little so I could adjust it straight.

New Pic from today.

LEDTailight_Feb_02_2009.jpg

Anyway, you are a legend...anyone who owns two dukes at one time is a legend.....LOVE UR STYLE. By the way AntR1 is going to buy me a 1098R, apparently they are only 2.4 mil here, so if you catch him on a good day he might buy you one too!!! THREE CHEERS FOR MR R1!

Dunno about being "a legend". I was lucky that I had a high paying job back in the UK, bought the 916 secondhand back in 1998 to celebrate my divorce then waited 'til late 2002 before getting the ST4s. Did manage to squeeze in a Triumph Thunderbird Sport and a BMW 1100GS during that time too though. Guess I just can't get enough of a good thing! :o:D :D

post-12876-1233567813_thumb.jpg post-12876-1233567905_thumb.jpg

Let me know when we can go out for a few beers with AntR1 so we can work on him for a couple of 1198s!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Great idea for a motorcycling thread. Here are some pics from yesterday. The road ended so we took a boat taxi. 200 baht. Amazing Thailand......
Where was this exactly?

Our route took us through Mae Taeng on 1001 toward Phrao. Just past Mae Taeng and a km or so past the road to Buotong Falls, there is a concrete lane heading to the right. This concrete road south through forest ends up at Mae Kuang Dam just north of Doi Saket. You can arrange for the boat to pick you up at the only (two table) cafe in the village of Pasak Ngam. Really friendly folks there. We were looking for a trail out but to no avail. I had taken the boat across with the mountain bike in the past so I knew we had an out. This is a nice dam and I am surprised it doesn't get more use as it is so close to Doi Saket and Chiang Mai.

post-498-1233486282_thumb.jpg post-498-1233486226_thumb.jpg post-498-1233486309_thumb.jpg

I already posted these pics on GT-Rider but here's the same view but from 2006. Bit of a difference in the water level eh?

post-12876-1233551042_thumb.jpg post-12876-1233551077_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

I had to download your pic and put it next to mine. Amazing difference, and the water in 2006 must have been to the very top of the dam. Thanks for posting that here.

SInce we rumbling here, any Hayabusa owners?

No Cro but I was reading the other day that Yoshi is doing a limited edition exhaust system for the bus!! Looked real neat!

I had a friend back home with a bus......only ever really saw alot of his brake light for some reason :o

Since we rumbling here, any Hayabusa owners?

Hey Cro- I see you've owned (still own?) both a Busa and a ZZR1400, which did you prefer and why? Personally I find the Busa ugly as sin and the ZZR14 sexy as hel_l, but that's just me and I've never ridden either one. :o

ZZ. A Honda Petcock has 3 positions - On - OFF & Reserve.

Neverdie. Thank you.

I bought it here

<snip>

As you can see the light was $165.00 Postage was $30.00 for a total of $195.00 > I paid the post office 720 baht duty. & VAT.

I will get pictures of the LED in run mode & Brake mode.

Hi Guys, i spotted the "Lounge" and thought i'd drop in and say hi!,

I also own a 916, it's a 1990 with 2,500 miles from new, lives in my lounge, i also have a rather sexy Triumph living in my dining room! (Yes I AM Single........................)

Have fun

FF

post-64818-1233569395_thumb.jpg

ZZ. A Honda Petcock has 3 positions - On - OFF & Reserve.

Neverdie. Thank you.

I bought it here

As you can see the light was $165.00 Postage was $30.00 for a total of $195.00 > I paid the post office 720 baht duty. & VAT.

I will get pictures of the LED in run mode & Brake mode.

THANKYOU kind sir :D ....sorry i actually look a little more like :o .

I think you will agree there is nothing like a bright tail/brake light here in the land of squashed motorcycles :D

I also own a 916, it's a 1990 with 2,500 miles from new, lives in my lounge, i also have a rather sexy Triumph living in my dining room! (Yes I AM Single........................)

Have fun

FF

Wow, dam_n, another legend!!! Got to love all these beautiful bikes.....its definately a single mans world. Whadda ya keep in the bedroom mate? :o

That 916, did you own it from new, whaddya plan on doing with it?? 2500 miles, not much, couple of laps around the living room once a week?

Hey Cro- I see you've owned (still own?) both a Busa and a ZZR1400, which did you prefer and why? Personally I find the Busa ugly as sin and the ZZR14 sexy as hel_l, but that's just me and I've never ridden either one. :D

I am definitely fan of ZZR/ZX's but had to have Hayabusa. Yeah, I see where you coming from about ugly comments :D but once you sit on this bastard you begin to love it. These days people call pre-2008 Busa model a "dinosaur", "scream from the past" and all sorts of other derogatory names lol....It is fast bike but surely coffin on wheels if you get too excited and pull that throttle too far. Statisticaly, more people died on busa then any other sport bike (1 liter and above).

Still, my fav is ZZR 1400. It is much more comfortable then Busa but has awkward cornering compared to Suzuki. First time I ever saw this bike online I told myself I gotta have it. No dissrespect to any other bike but for me this is most beautifull sport tourer out there, hands down. Back in 2006, Kawasaki Thailand website featured pic of ZZR on their home page. I called them and wanted to buy it but some clueless girl told me they gonna have it by end of the year. She quoted possible price of over 800k baht. Of course, it never happened.

Then I posted all over the internet asking people how to get hold of this bike in Thailand and nobody knew. Finally, I joked with that Teera dude and told him if he ever has one to call me. To my surprise he said he could order straight from Japan and did, received bike in 2 months, brand new.

Just today I realized thumchok also owns ZZR 1400, how come he never let you try? :o Surprised to hear you never had chance to try this baby....

Hopefully we meet in near future at some of these biker meets and you can try mine. From what I read in your posts you seem to be experienced rider and I got no worries.

Wow, dam_n, another legend!!! Got to love all these beautiful bikes.....its definately a single mans world. Whadda ya keep in the bedroom mate? :o

That 916, did you own it from new, whaddya plan on doing with it?? 2500 miles, not much, couple of laps around the living room once a week?

Ha ha ha, i actually live on the Isle of Man, so it gets a lap of the TT course on extremely nice days, i have had the 916 from new, just love to look at it!

I also have a 1939 Excelsior with a hand change on the tank, nearly finished restoring it, i will post some pics when it's finished.

Also own John McGuinnes's R6 which lapped the TT in excess of 120mph, I have a young lad who rides for my race team on it! look at the link! go to the members page, click on someone, then go to gallery/pics loads of race photo's on there. I am the fat bloke driving the F2 sidecar outfit!

FF

FF, gotta love the sidecar action :D:D

And yea, as for the fuel cock on my bike, it's ON, PRIME and RESERVE. I've offically lost faith in D Big Bike now after arguing with the owner regarding the settings on the fuel cock. The owner's manual states:

RES

This stands for “reserve”. If you are running out of fuel while riding with the fuel cock in the “ON” position, quickly turn the lever to this position. Otherwise the engine may die and will have to be primed (see “PRI” below). After turning the lever to “RES”, fill the tank at the first opportunity and be sure to set the fuel cock back to “ON”!

PRI

This stands for “prime”. If the engine has been allowed to run out of fuel, turn the lever to the “PRI” position to send fuel directly to the carburetors. This will make starting easier. However, be sure to turn the lever to the “ON” position (or “RES” if you have not refuelled yet) after the engine has started.

ON

With the fuel cock in this position, fuel flows to the carburetors when the engine is running. Set the fuel cock to this position when starting the engine and for riding.

The guys at the shop are adamant that PRI stands for PRIMARY, and it the setting to use in normal riding. They are also very adamant that ON actually means OFF, because when they held the tank up and had the switch on the 'ON' setting no fuel flowed out. :o

Zzinged.... Does your bike have a carb with a float and needle valve? If so, I wonder why you would need a prime position. The fuel valve of yours has got me stumped. Now, with that big mill of yours, I could see an Afterburner position.

Zzinged.... Does your bike have a carb with a float and needle valve? If so, I wonder why you would need a prime position. The fuel valve of yours has got me stumped. Now, with that big mill of yours, I could see an Afterburner position.

Well I assume the key here is that the carbs pull fuel when the engine's running. If you ran the tank dry and there's no fuel in the carbs, it won't be able to start. That's when the prime position comes in, as that lets fuel run freely into carbs regardless of the conditions in there.

Hey Cro- I see you've owned (still own?) both a Busa and a ZZR1400, which did you prefer and why? Personally I find the Busa ugly as sin and the ZZR14 sexy as hel_l, but that's just me and I've never ridden either one. :D

I am definitely fan of ZZR/ZX's but had to have Hayabusa. Yeah, I see where you coming from about ugly comments :D but once you sit on this bastard you begin to love it. These days people call pre-2008 Busa model a "dinosaur", "scream from the past" and all sorts of other derogatory names lol....It is fast bike but surely coffin on wheels if you get too excited and pull that throttle too far. Statisticaly, more people died on busa then any other sport bike (1 liter and above).

Still, my fav is ZZR 1400. It is much more comfortable then Busa but has awkward cornering compared to Suzuki. First time I ever saw this bike online I told myself I gotta have it. No dissrespect to any other bike but for me this is most beautifull sport tourer out there, hands down. Back in 2006, Kawasaki Thailand website featured pic of ZZR on their home page. I called them and wanted to buy it but some clueless girl told me they gonna have it by end of the year. She quoted possible price of over 800k baht. Of course, it never happened.

Then I posted all over the internet asking people how to get hold of this bike in Thailand and nobody knew. Finally, I joked with that Teera dude and told him if he ever has one to call me. To my surprise he said he could order straight from Japan and did, received bike in 2 months, brand new.

Just today I realized thumchok also owns ZZR 1400, how come he never let you try? :o Surprised to hear you never had chance to try this baby....

Hopefully we meet in near future at some of these biker meets and you can try mine. From what I read in your posts you seem to be experienced rider and I got no worries.

Cheers Cro,

Well, I only just met Thumchok, and he had the bike loaded up and the missus along. While I'd love to take it for a spin it seemed a bit precocious to ask on the first date, so to speak :D If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost, all in, to have one sent over from Japan?

Cheers Cro,

Well, I only just met Thumchok, and he had the bike loaded up and the missus along. While I'd love to take it for a spin it seemed a bit precocious to ask on the first date, so to speak :D If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost, all in, to have one sent over from Japan?

I don't mind, I paid 690,000. There was an additional 11,000 baht charge for some custom duty and that is it. Total 700k, legit green book, plate, insurance and road tax included.

ZZ. Seeing as how sometimes you have to remove the fuel tank (with some fuel in it) doesn't it make sense that one of the 3 positions would be "Off" or "Closed"?

Or maybe you have a 4 way petcock?

T-Dog he has 4 cards with needles & floats. Gravity sends the fuel to the carb bowls.

Cheers Cro,

I don't mind, I paid 690,000. There was an additional 11,000 baht charge for some custom duty and that is it. Total 700k, legit green book, plate, insurance and road tax included.

Thanks- that's not as much as I expected Cro,

Of course you bought your bike before the Japanese Yen took off... 88 Yen to the US$ today! :D

Actually, if you take the tank off with the setting on RES or ON, fuel doesn't flow out since it requires a vacuum to pull it through. That's why the guys at the shop are convinced that PRIME is the right setting, because then they have the fuel tank out by itself and the engine isn't running there's no vacuum to pull fuel when the fuel cock is set to ON or RES. I tried this out yesteday morning when I had the fuel tank off the bike.

Hello All Loungers, anyone based out of Pattaya that doesn't mind a Canadian with a Phantom (for now :o ) for touring/sightseeing?

You're welcome to join me on my running around in the area, if we do the twisties and backroads of Rayong/Chonburi. If you want to join on more straight roads I need to know your cruise speed, not that I race but I keep +10 km/h of traffic at least to not get surprises from behind, so on highway it's 140 - 160 cruise (sometimes more), the backroads and twisties is much more lax at cruise 80 - 120 though. I can give you a bell when I get back home again after the Tour de Thailand we'll do (6000 km trip) on bikes.

Cheers Bard

Will someone PLEASE put a pretty girl on one of these BIKEs :D:D:o:D

Here you go - a selection of my bikes courtesy of a mate who is a dab hand with Photoshop. Pity I can't boast that they were all personal conquests! ;-)

post-12876-1233626711_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Have fun

FF

Hey FF, welcome to the lounge (and thanks ZZ for setting it up). I think you made a typo mate as the 916 didn't emerge 'til 94 if I remember rightly?

Your Bonnie is a beaut - stunning! I built a similar one about 10 years ago. Bought a right piece-of-shit stolen recovered with a bent frame, did it up as a flat tracker with ally yokes, stainless guards, a 2-1 reverse cone megaphone and nice paint courtesy of my brother-in-law. Used to call in my "Fonzie bike". Not as pretty as yours though. Very well done!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey

Wow, dam_n, another legend!!! Got to love all these beautiful bikes.....its definately a single mans world. Whadda ya keep in the bedroom mate? :D

Ha ha ha, i actually live on the Isle of Man, so it gets a lap of the TT course on extremely nice days, i have had the 916 from new, just love to look at it!

I also have a 1939 Excelsior with a hand change on the tank, nearly finished restoring it, i will post some pics when it's finished.

Also own John McGuinnes's R6 which lapped the TT in excess of 120mph, I have a young lad who rides for my race team on it! look at the link! go to the members page, click on someone, then go to gallery/pics loads of race photo's on there. I am the fat bloke driving the F2 sidecar outfit!

FF

FF

In my next life I hope I live on the Isle of Man....WOW you lucky lucky baaastard. That explains the duke in racing clothes.

I tried to follow you instructions above, I might be a bit of a dummy....CORRECTION, I am a bit of a dummy, if I go to the John McGuinness website, I cant find a members page. &lt;deleted&gt; have I done wrong. LOL :o