Crackdown On Prostitution Portal Websites

george

PM tells ICT to crack down on prostitution portal websites

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday that he had instructed the Information and Communication Technology to crack down on websites, which allow students to post messages soliciting sex clients.

Abhisit said the ministry was taking actions against the sites.

He said the prostitution by students was influenced by wrong value so there should be campaigns to have students change their value.

He said the government is launching the campaigns through education as well.

-- The Nation 2009-02-02

so can we now expect thai visa ( discussion of prostitution and bar girls not allowed) to remove the links to massage girls and bar girls and patpong girls and shower massage that appear at the top of this page ?

crackdown on webpages never work, Abhisit isn't an idiot, he knows that. So why they do that nonsense?

Two reasons immediately come to mind: 1- It may help to raise awareness on (give a springboard to a forum on) the issue of university students prostituting themselves as a means of financial survival (or worse so tehy can get the latest model of mobile); 2- Its a vote winner, students have parents who are voters and worry about their kids - most Uni student parents are middle class - and it makes the new PM look like he is doing something about an until now ignored problem that worries a sizeable amount of the voting public.

Colleges in bid to halt student online flesh trade

BANGKOK / PHUKET: -- Colleges and universities need to act against students engaging in "direct-sale" prostitution via social-network websites like Hi5, according to a well-known academic.

Assoc Prof Sukhum Chaloeysap of Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, which has a campus in Phuket, said all institutes of higher learning should admit that the problem exists and join forces to combat it.

Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5, which has links to more than 1,000 other websites that openly post students' pictures, many in uniform, and suggestive messages.

He urged the principals of colleges and universities to investigate. Many students' part-time jobs are affected by the economic slowdown, driving some to prostitution for extra money, he added.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Theera Salukpetch yesterday said the ministry would write to the ICT Ministry, Education Ministry, Social Development and Human Security Ministry and Royal Thai Police as well as Internet service providers asking them to step up the watch for prostitution on the Web.

He blamed the online student sex trade on youth's "faulty values" and overspending on luxurious and unnecessary items that drove young people to such lengths to get quick cash.

Ramjitti Institute director Dr Amornwit Nakhonthap said the Internet flesh trade was a long-standing issue and he was not surprised that a popular website like Hi5 was used as a channel for it.

He said this reflected young people's idea that switching sexual partners was common, and it also changed the erstwhile perspective that only poor children sold themselves, citing a survey that found that most young people in the sex trade were not poor but just wanted money to buy things.

"Direct-sale" student prostitution came to light when Thais aboard urged the Culture Ministry to investigate after they found Thai students, both male and female, posting their pictures, vital statistics, universities and telephone numbers with a view to sexual favors priced between from 1,500 to 3,000 baht.

While the Phuket Gazette does receive reports from time to time of student prostitution in Phuket fueled by sites such as Hi-5, most of which offer user searches by province and/or city, such reports are not easy to substantiate.

The user profiles, including names and photos, posted on 'social networking' sites can be whatever the poster wants them to be. Thus, the 22-year-old Phuket "student" seen in cyber-space could well be a 44-year-old construction worker from Mukdahan.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-02-02

Well hi5 the example made is mostly NOT about this problem,

but it will be banned and I am on it with several aquantances.

Never seen a HINT of this issue, but a blanket ban would be onerous.

Raise awareness and go after the obviously prostitution soliciting sites,

but not the networking sites why a few individuals MAY be using it for this

but no blanket site bans for 2-3 infractions by individual members in a whole hog method.

And I thought that something had changed in the government, or since the past one, or past past past,,,,.... :o

If everyone weren't aware of this subject they should be now... And this add was FREE.

Nothing to do with Hi5 directly though, just the normal hipocracy.

Im sure none of these gov. people would never take an advance of someone in need of some cash.

Ask a lady on a sales job. High or low. Selling thousands or millions deals. They know.

Pathethic.

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday that he had instructed the Information and Communication Technology to crack down on websites, which allow students to post messages soliciting sex clients.

Abhisit said the ministry was taking actions against the sites.

He said the prostitution by students was influenced by wrong value so there should be campaigns to have students change their value.

He said the government is launching the campaigns through education as well.

-- The Nation 2009-02-02

The next step in closure of the internet for Thailand?

Even more misguided "good values"?

Even more graphical violence on TV and video's?

Even more blanketing of body parts?

Even more denial of reality?

Today having a meal in a restaurant together with wife and children.

Two military (40-50 yrs) men came in, followed a moment later by a women with two girls of a nearby school, quite young.

My daughter is in the same school, and know the girls to be 14-15 years old.

Cash changed hands with the woman, she said something like I brought you the girls, have fun, and I am off.

But of course, this is probably just two uncles having some food with two cousins, yes?

This of course does not happen in Thailand!

Only farang do this!

And they make the nice Thai girls bad!

If you have a look in a Thai magazine, and a woman is depicted in bikini, it always is a farang woman.

Never a Thai, because obviously, Thai woman do not do that, only farang woman are bad.

I feel shocked that Thai authorities depict farang woman in magazines in less clothing as Thai woman.

Shame to be so rude to the farang.

The thing is, that most farang are not able to read Thai, so it is obviously an all Thai thing.

Wonder how this will be manipulated to be able to blame the farang for this too.

Ahhhhhhh, internet of course is a farang thing!

Simple!

Edited by hansnl

And I guess it has nothing to do with that report about a HK kid (12) advertising him self on the net

to have sex with any female from 10-45 for a certain amount of money :o Sorry I guess it was Singapore

Edited by fred2007

so can we now expect thai visa ( discussion of prostitution and bar girls not allowed) to remove the links to massage girls and bar girls and patpong girls and shower massage that appear at the top of this page ?

I usually try to buy Thaivisa advertised or branded products, services (eg the travel bureau) and hotels, but I also have noticed a tendency to now offer me ladyboys, which I haven't yet tried.

Well hi5 the example made is mostly NOT about this problem,

but it will be banned and I am on it with several aquantances.

Never seen a HINT of this issue, but a blanket ban would be onerous.

Raise awareness and go after the obviously prostitution soliciting sites,

but not the networking sites why a few individuals MAY be using it for this

but no blanket site bans for 2-3 infractions by individual members in a whole hog method.

Let's wait and see on things like hi5. This was just one associate professor's opinion and it is well known that even Abhisit uses some of the social networking websites as do many, many others.

If you have a look in a Thai magazine, and a woman is depicted in bikini, it always is a farang woman.

Never a Thai, because obviously, Thai woman do not do that, only farang woman are bad.

I feel shocked that Thai authorities depict farang woman in magazines in less clothing as Thai woman.

You must be reading the wrong magazines mate. The ones I've seen have plenty of Thai chicks in bikinis, and few to none farang chicks. I even got a Thai Penthouse from a couple years ago with Nong Natt naked. And yeah, I can read Thai, and you're completely wrong.

You must be reading the wrong magazines mate. The ones I've seen have plenty of Thai chicks in bikinis, and few to none farang chicks. I even got a Thai Penthouse from a couple years ago with Nong Natt naked. And yeah, I can read Thai, and you're completely wrong.

I wouldn't know about your grotmags, but I think you have to concede the point about the site being in Thai.

Even those of us that can read Thai to some extent would find it quite daunting to 'frequent' Hi5Thai due to the use of slang, colloquialisms and miss-spellings - if the girls are advertising in Thai, its more than just likely that they are after Thai 'clients' not farang.

And meanwhile, vocational students are killing each other.

Concur 100 per cent Scott, if only someone could get MR PM and his Co-hort to direct these resources to prevent these attack of students on students, understand they are working it but this added resource could make a big PLUS> :o:D

I wouldn't know about your grotmags, but I think you have to concede the point about the site being in Thai.

Even those of us that can read Thai to some extent would find it quite daunting to 'frequent' Hi5Thai due to the use of slang, colloquialisms and miss-spellings - if the girls are advertising in Thai, its more than just likely that they are after Thai 'clients' not farang.

Oh, I was only responding to the post about not having Thai chicks in bikinis in Thai magazines, which is completely untrue. And I do agree that the use of slang on places like Hi5 or Camfrog presents a problem for non native speakers, sometimes I don't know what they're saying and the words aren't in my dictionary. But I've found most people in those places to be very understanding. Hmm...think it's time to log on to Camfrog. :o

crackdown on webpages never work, Abhisit isn't an idiot, he knows that. So why they do that nonsense?

The answer is obvious.... because he is an idiot.

Moron, dumb, pick your choice.

The economy is falling a part, but our "cool" Prime Minister goes to Davos and launches a crackdown on on line prostitution...

I mean... do you see the level ?

It's scary.

Yeah, isn't this what Toxins TRT party and cronies used to harp on about?

Jeez, the faces may change but the same old bs gets spouted eh?

The economy is falling a part, but our "cool" Prime Minister goes to Davos and launches a crackdown on on line prostitution...

It's scary.

Cmon cc, slow down...he has only been a PM for 1,5 months.

It's scary.

IMHO Abhisit is not an idiot. Moreover any one who suggests he is (an idiot) only needs to visit his own bathroom, look in the mirror and right before his very own eyes he will see one (an idiot) :o