The Nation And Bangkok Post Need Copy Editors

apetley

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny, I thought I'd take a quick look at some articles....and the first one I picked....

For Nattakorn and third runner-up Kaewsan Atibhodi, it was good investment. The latter had impressed the most in TV discussions whereas Nattakorn had that sophisticated charm that could have come in handy in politically peaceful time. It was unfortunate, like Nattakorn rightly stated, that national politics often decided who won the Bangkok race.

"a good investment"

"a politically peaceful time"

And, after another quick glance....

We regret inconvenience caused Thaksin and Asahi Shimbun by publication of the earlier translation. The following is the script as provided by Asahi Shimbun.

:o

To the OP: You should make a game out of this thread. Whoever finds the most errors on any particular day would be considered the winner. :D

Edited by pumpuiman

This one is a real winner!!

Free visas for all tourists

By Suchat Sritama

The Nation

The Cabinet on Tuesday waived travel visa for all nationals for over the next three months as one of four short-term recovery measures to restore tourism industry.

The move is expected to draw more Chinese travellers, one of the main target group, to the country.

The second strategy is to reduce entrance fee to all national parks in the Kingdom. The agreement is aimed to boost domestic tourism.

The third is to allow private sector to claim back-meeting and conference tax at double rate from original. Last measure is cutting the landing and parking fee for aircrafts at major airports in the country.

Speaking after chairing Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva expressed hope that the tourism industry could be restore through theses measures.

He earlier said number of tourist is returning closed to normal rate prior to the start of economic crisis.

However, it is speculated that only four tourism measures, from total 13 measures submitted to the Cabinet were approved.

Proposed measures that was rejected are includes cutting hotel room rate and airfare proposed to Thai Airways International, reducing value added tax on hotel room rates for one year, an exemption annual fee of Bt80 per room and urgent plan to promote the major destinations of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga for local tourism.

Did I miss some? WOW!

Uh oh Pumpuiman, if you are going to be a spelling nazi you'd better make sure you know what you are talking about:

In British spelling, verbs ending in a vowel plus l double the l when adding endings that begin with a vowel (e.g. travel, travelled, traveller). In American English the l is not doubled (travel, traveled, traveler)..

Source: The Oxford English dictionary online

Being a "non-English" person I find it difficult to understand all these complains about spelling. As long as I understand what is said or written I am satisfied even if I enjoy perfect English. To me the meaning of what is written is far more important than the spelling. This does not mean I don’t like perfect English, but is not a must for posts here or articles in the Nation by Thai journalists.

Edited by tominchaam

Uh oh Pumpuiman, if you are going to be a spelling nazi you'd better make sure you know what you are talking about:
In British spelling, verbs ending in a vowel plus l double the l when adding endings that begin with a vowel (e.g. travel, travelled, traveller). In American English the l is not doubled (travel, traveled, traveler)..

I think "Nazi" should be capitalized :D

And for such a YAWN boring topic, it sure seems to attract moderators :o

it's part of my role here to read all threads, sadly even the pointless ones :o

I can't say I find it pointless (certainly no more so than several other threads I might mention :D ).

It's undoubtedly related to the readers of ThaiVisa Forum as it's one of the larger national :D English language newspapers in Thailand, and is frequently cited here.

Some of us find the glaring errors amusing and, even, amazing. Perhaps we have small minds :D .

Edited by WaiWai

But then, I don't care, so you can capitalise it if you want (just so you know, capitalize can be spelled both ways :D )

I just find the irony of your original post quite delicious :D Before pointing out errors its often best to make sure that they are, in fact, errors :D

Funny, I thought I'd take a quick look at some articles....and the first one I picked....
For Nattakorn and third runner-up Kaewsan Atibhodi, it was good investment. The latter had impressed the most in TV discussions whereas Nattakorn had that sophisticated charm that could have come in handy in politically peaceful time. It was unfortunate, like Nattakorn rightly stated, that national politics often decided who won the Bangkok race.

"a good investment"

"a politically peaceful time"

and

"as N rightly stated"

When you consider that the BBC a bastion of the English Language is constantly mis spelling stuff on it's news banners, and many letters to them always receive, "we are doing our best" don't be too hard on the Nation.

CNN and AlJazeerah seem flawless.

i think you mean its news

it's means it is

It would appear it is hard to get good staff many places these days of intermingling societies , ah well remember what the lady said on an interview about relationships " A good man is hard to find these days , but a hard man is sure good to find " :o

But then, I don't care, so you can capitalise it if you want (just so you know, capitalize can be spelled both ways :D )

I just find the irony of your original post quite delicious :wai: Before pointing out errors its often best to make sure that they are, in fact, errors :D

I make errors constantly. I'm grammatically retarded at best....and I knock the <deleted> socks off The Nation.

Now thats delicious. :P

I also read it every single day. :D

<deleted> this has to do with thaivisa I don't know.

It doesn't have anything to do with ThaiVisa directly, but it is relevant to Thailand and before the recent "connection" was made between The Nation and ThaiVisa a thread like this would have been allowed to run without comment. Will be interesting to see if this manages to survive without being closed, could be a good indication of things to come...

Edited by dantilley

I just performed a search for more articles written by Suchat Sritama (the author of the slightly flawed piece posted above) thinking I may find some more jewels.

I found many articles....all written very well, not an error in the bunch.

There must be an interesting story behind the beauty with all the mistakes.

Hangover? Written by someone else? Phoned in?

Any theories?

Phone suggests words that are wildly off ...

Within context, you can often guess, just as you often can by looking at the missed-keyboard-key.

And other times, you know that person simply has no idea :o .

Edited by WaiWai