Cbr150 Vs Suzuki Raider 150

Vato

rode a friends raider the other day and i must say i was impressed by the engine up to 3rd gear...shifting into 2nd gear has alot more 'stick and kick' to it as a matter of fact you have to be careful it shifts so hard into 2nd...than the cbr although weight could be a consideration...

the raiders gears are extremely smooth and precise when shifting up and down very little space between shifts, the CBR requires further foot travel when shifting.

on the cbr when coming to a fast slowdown and downshifting (slowing from 120kph within 30-40 meters)...the gears sometimes float and wont go into a lower gear, making you release the clutch to engage the drive gear to offset the shift...the raiders gearbox has pinpoint accuracy up and down and very solid.

since ive been on the CBR the raider didnt feel right, the seat is high and handlebars low in comparison to the CBR, my knees were in close proximity to my elbows (im 5'-7")...CBR feels much more stable and natural.

the cbr imo will eat a raider after 3rd gear and would be much more comfortable on long rides and handle longer runs with higher top end speeds better and feel more stable.

but for city driving with a block to accelerate and play around at a redlight drag...the raider woud be a good weapon of choice...and if i wasnt so use to the ergonomics of the cbr, probably wouldnt feel so goofy footed.

now, to figure out how to get a raider engine in my cbr and change the sprocket ratios...lol

Also the Suzuki Raider 150 was easy to gain performance, just upgrade the 26mm carburetor to 29mm or bigger, and increased the exhaust pipe.

The Suzuki FXR-150 which has the identical engine, with only difference the carburetor size (29mm) and larger diameter-exhaust is listed in stock form as producing 20 bhp. Personal I had never the pleasure to check if the claims of Suzuki where correct for the FXR-150.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Hi Vato,

I was interested to read your post. I bought my Raider almost 2 years ago from Suzuki as I was only in Bkk part time & wanted something to cruise thru the traffic on. I was lucky because a family member works at the Suzuki factory, so I had heads up on a few mods to make right off the start. Anyway, theres many things that can be done to a raider & for a little underbones bike they certainly can get up and move along.

If you get a chance go past the suzuki shop on Rangsit, its got the factory behind it. Go into the showroom & they have two fully worked Raiders on show there....theyve spent about 300k baht on both of them. They absolutely crack.....would leave most little bikes way behind....BUT then again you would want to get a fair bit of bang for that type of buck.

Anyway, I was interested to read that you think that the cbr would eat the raider up after 3rd gear because I believe thats when my raider really starts moving. I have never really had the opportunity to run mine against someone else's although the few little runs I have had with CBR riders has always resulted in mine shooting ahead & a bit later they turn off. :o

I would agree with you that the suspension on the raider is absolutely aweful....its probably weight related, ive been bt 85-90kg since ive owned this bike & I hate the suspension. I have played with the front forks and put a decent motul oil in there....but they still suck, afterall they are tiny little things. I replaced the back shock with a gas one, it still also sucks :D ...it probably has something to do with owning big bikes with decent suspension before.

The other thing with doing mods to ur carby...whilst ur getting more fuel in & with mods at the other end....u definately increase performance THE LITTLE 4.9 Litre fuel tank runs dry very quickly. The CBR is much better having a real motorcycle tank.

Ive seen a few guys in the Raider club have replaced their forks & spent more on their rear suspension than i have & are much better for it.

In my opinion the CBR is a much nicer looking machine.

PS: Alot of the raider club guys change their carbys to CBR ones....theres quite a few available on the write off market. Yoshi also does a great flat sided carb which fits & emties the fuel tank very quickly.

Edited by neverdie

The main difference between the 2 bikes is that the Suzuki Raider 150 is not available anymore and the Honda CBR 150R still shines in the showroom....

the raider still shines in the showroom also, but may be old stock...saw one in sukaniban 3 the other day, parked in front.

Hi Vato,

I was interested to read your post. I bought my Raider almost 2 years ago from Suzuki as I was only in Bkk part time & wanted something to cruise thru the traffic on. I was lucky because a family member works at the Suzuki factory, so I had heads up on a few mods to make right off the start. Anyway, theres many things that can be done to a raider & for a little underbones bike they certainly can get up and move along.

If you get a chance go past the suzuki shop on Rangsit, its got the factory behind it. Go into the showroom & they have two fully worked Raiders on show there....theyve spent about 300k baht on both of them. They absolutely crack.....would leave most little bikes way behind....BUT then again you would want to get a fair bit of bang for that type of buck.

Anyway, I was interested to read that you think that the cbr would eat the raider up after 3rd gear because I believe thats when my raider really starts moving. I have never really had the opportunity to run mine against someone else's although the few little runs I have had with CBR riders has always resulted in mine shooting ahead & a bit later they turn off. :o

I would agree with you that the suspension on the raider is absolutely aweful....its probably weight related, ive been bt 85-90kg since ive owned this bike & I hate the suspension. I have played with the front forks and put a decent motul oil in there....but they still suck, afterall they are tiny little things. I replaced the back shock with a gas one, it still also sucks :D ...it probably has something to do with owning big bikes with decent suspension before.

The other thing with doing mods to ur carby...whilst ur getting more fuel in & with mods at the other end....u definately increase performance THE LITTLE 4.9 Litre fuel tank runs dry very quickly. The CBR is much better having a real motorcycle tank.

Ive seen a few guys in the Raider club have replaced their forks & spent more on their rear suspension than i have & are much better for it.

PS: Alot of the raider club guys change their carbys to CBR ones....theres quite a few available on the write off market. Yoshi also does a great flat sided carb which fits & emties the fuel tank very quickly.

the raider i rode was abut 5-6 years old and extremely ragged out, but still performed well, it had the mags, and normal fairing but regular sized front disc, if this is indication of the model year ... white fairing with red graphics...

i noticed that the gears have a tighter ratio on the raider and the powerband is more distinct and comes in faster than the cbr...on the cbr the gearing is so wide...after 2nd you often forget what gear youre in and the powerband is virtually undetectable because of the gearing...

im going to take the raider out for another test ride soon...to reverify the after 3rd gear comment, because of traffic conditions at the time.

do you know if you can still buy straight from the factory? and the price you paid?...i wouldnt mind getting a spare engine and sticking it in, maybe one can be found on the secondhand market...

thanx

Hi Vato,

the raider i rode was abut 5-6 years old and extremely ragged out, but still performed well, it had the mags, and normal fairing but regular sized front disc, if this is indication of the model year ... white fairing with red graphics...

i noticed that the gears have a tighter ratio on the raider and the powerband is more distinct and comes in faster than the cbr...on the cbr the gearing is so wide...after 2nd you often forget what gear youre in and the powerband is virtually undetectable because of the gearing...

im going to take the raider out for another test ride soon...to reverify the after 3rd gear comment, because of traffic conditions at the time.

do you know if you can still buy straight from the factory? and the price you paid?...i wouldnt mind getting a spare engine and sticking it in, maybe one can be found on the secondhand market...

thanx

Vato, I believe they don't have anymore raiders where I got mine, but I have seen a couple of new spankers at various Suzuki shops around the place. They are becomming rare, but the thai guys love em....theres a club here in bkk with heaps of thai guys in it, ive been out with them a few times, there are some well modified raiders amoungst them.

I don't think buying straight from the factory was an option, I was being taken good care of, i paid about 48k for it. The going price for them was around 52k, i believe, although I saw one in a shop & was looking at it, the guy there told me I could have it for 54k, I told him I didnt want one!

I am guessing it would be easy to buy one second hand and do the engine up, I have seen a few kits around for just a few hundred US dollars, so if you picked up a shiiiitterr for 10-15k somewhere and whipped the motor out...you could end up with a really trick engine...they are no new design, air cooled, quite a simple thing really. Yoshi does a carb, which would certainly gass the thing up....then if you let it breath, it will entertain you.

Mate the brakes were trash in my opinion, I replaced my wheels & put a massive disc on the front & replaced the brake lines with stainless ones...put a decent brake fluid in & did away with the rear resivour. The brakes are the best thing on the bike but their not Suzukis :D . I know another bloke who went for Brembo master cylinder etc....BUT in my opinion its all overkill now, my brakes are really superior to standard & have plenty of feedback...FOR A SMALL BUZZ BOX they will do. My brakes far out perform the tyres.

I remember seeing a second hand one advertised here on TV. I was thinking about selling mine when I get a new bike later this year, but on second thought, I think i might keep it. :D:D:wai: call me greedy! Plus, I will want top dollar for it, because its immaculate & had quite a few things done to it.

Do you seriously want to mount its engine in something else?

Edited by neverdie

Vato, good write up. If you find yourself being left behind on the take off by a 5 year old Raider, cheat and put a smaller sprocket on the rear.

And as mentioned by neverdie, the stock breathing apparatus that are on the bikes (of all flavours) is much too small. Thank the tree huggers. Open up your inlet and outlet with a less restrictive pipe and a bigger carb and enjoy what Honda actually engineered into the ride.

He also brought up a good point-the brakes. While the brakes on the CBR aren't bad per se, they can definitely be improved. I honestly wouldn't want to ride anything less than a stock 125 underbone with OEM brakes, and pushing your bike hard will eventually necessitate you having to rely on those brakes; do you want to find them lacking now do you?

I haven't had the opportunity to run against a Raider on my CBR, all the runs were against automatic bikes that were in various states of tune. Not really a fair race....of course never ran against one that cost 3/4 as much as a Toytoa Vios, but for that money I wouldn't expect the CBR to win.

I love the Raider, bought it Five years ago when it was Six months old , no problems to date. :o

Hi Thailife,

Wow thats certainly one unique looking raider you've got going there. I find your tyre choice very interesting....obviously you have alot of dirt roads to cover. Are they fans covering the oil cooler?

Vato, good write up. If you find yourself being left behind on the take off by a 5 year old Raider, cheat and put a smaller sprocket on the rear.

And as mentioned by neverdie, the stock breathing apparatus that are on the bikes (of all flavours) is much too small. Thank the tree huggers. Open up your inlet and outlet with a less restrictive pipe and a bigger carb and enjoy what Honda actually engineered into the ride.

He also brought up a good point-the brakes. While the brakes on the CBR aren't bad per se, they can definitely be improved. I honestly wouldn't want to ride anything less than a stock 125 underbone with OEM brakes, and pushing your bike hard will eventually necessitate you having to rely on those brakes; do you want to find them lacking now do you?

I haven't had the opportunity to run against a Raider on my CBR, all the runs were against automatic bikes that were in various states of tune. Not really a fair race....of course never ran against one that cost 3/4 as much as a Toytoa Vios, but for that money I wouldn't expect the CBR to win.

I had to laugh when I read ur post Dave, as i had never thought of 300k being 3/4 the price of a Vios. Absolutely rediculous money to be spent on one of those things, but they are Suzuki racing so I guess it wouldnt have cost them all that much....I don't really know. One thing I did find interesting about those two bikes tho, is they both has Yoshi carbies which were being fed air straight thru a cone (NO AIR BOX) & whilst the monster flat carby was beaut....I was left wondering where they could possible run this thing....certainly not along a dusty bkk soi! Personally I would save my doish and buy something with a few more cubic inches....having said that, I reakon they would be a world of fun on a race track.

Not wishing to sound "picky" but you are completely wrong! if you wish to improve acceleration (get off the line faster) you need to INCREASE the amount of teeth on the rear sprocket (or decrease the amount of teeth on the front sprocket) you will loose on top end, but will definately be faster off the line!

FF

Father, Like yourself dave-boo knows his thing with gearing, he probably was speed typing again. One up on the front & two down on the rear give you a much higher top end speed, almost 170! You need to boost the standard bike hp....but it can be done quite easily :D

as for me, mines completely standard :D:D

Whatcha think of this, neat looking, not mine:

raiderracevn9.th.jpg

Also I think dave boo was referring to the gearing on the honda, because I wouldnt personally want to increase the teeth on the rear of mine, it would get really untidy on the take off :o

Edited by neverdie

Not wishing to sound "picky" but you are completely wrong! if you wish to improve acceleration (get off the line faster) you need to INCREASE the amount of teeth on the rear sprocket (or decrease the amount of teeth on the front sprocket) you will loose on top end, but will definately be faster off the line!

FF

No problem; neverdie had it right-was speed typing and last thought I had in my (little) mind was the fact that you get more advantage going one down on the front rather than the rear.....

Neverdie's probably right about those litle Raiders being shit on an actual street. Seems like they were designed to hit the highest horsepower and on a machine like that you quickly loose any semblance to a production bike's performance especially in relation to normal riding.

that bike looks sweet.

i rode a suped up bike once and it was quick as hel_l, the crank was modified to gain momentum not off the line, but about 3-4 meters down...it would literally snap your neck it accelerated so quick afterwards...it was sick!

im going to start modding my bike, since im use to it now and know what to expect...gonna go with drivetrain weight reduction first (428)...then maybe lighter wheels if i can find them, sparkplug and resistor removed...and chop that huge ass mudflap on the back and install a foldeable license plate frame that goes horizontal with the wind. (for high end)..the mudflap has to taking at least 10kph off top speed.

i cant find brake rotors anywhere except for the dealer, any ideas?

now that i think about the seating position on the raider, its actually kinda designed to allow you to crouch down, the cbr makes it hard to crouch.

Vato theres heaps of stuff to look at on the net, sorry Im confused are you getting a raider that you want to do up, or are you talking about the CBR.

If its the CBR, go into the CBR150 THREAD here on TV, it rocks in there, those boys will be able to steer you correctly.

If your thinking about the raider, have a read on the net, theres blokes on there that sell whole kits for the things....virtually anything is possible which is probably one of the main reasons I wont sell my raider when I get a real bike, i will keep the raider for playing with & little runs where I dont want to get the big bike dirty or its in parts or something.

Sorry im a little bit confused?

im going to do up the cbr a bit first, only a little bit...probably wont spend more than 10k baht...but im going to find a newer model raider to test drive, since the one i drove was pretty old and thrashed out, the newer ones appear to have a different seat which may be more comfortable and possibly more power from a fresher engine.

so if i drive a newer one and it feels better, well then i may switch.

why does the wiki page for the raider say "total destruction' on the engine type ?...lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raider_150

im going to do up the cbr a bit first, only a little bit...probably wont spend more than 10k baht...but im going to find a newer model raider to test drive, since the one i drove was pretty old and thrashed out, the newer ones appear to have a different seat which may be more comfortable and possibly more power from a fresher engine.

why does the wiki page for the raider say "total destruction' on the engine type ?...lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raider_150

Total destruction could be equal to 'interference' engine. I.E., if your cam chain snaps, your internals in the bore will make shrapnel out of each other. Don't know why they continue to mention 'interference' engines any more (if that's what it actually is!), because AFAIK all modern engines fall into that category.

Vato, What area do you live in?

the cbr imo will eat a raider after 3rd gear

lol

no offense but "eat" is not a term to use between similar capacity machines.

we made a raider into a supercup mx bike

used carby, big bore, cam and pipe as a start to the engine mods

with more possible in the future, ie better pipe, ignition, porting, valves.

but its getting pang to do that.

the cbr imo will eat a raider after 3rd gear

lol

no offense but "eat" is not a term to use between similar capacity machines.

we made a raider into a supercup mx bike

used carby, big bore, cam and pipe as a start to the engine mods

with more possible in the future, ie better pipe, ignition, porting, valves.

but its getting pang to do that.

a porsche 3.6 liter engine will eat a chevy 3.6 liter engine.

agreed?

Perhaps we should meet up, so I can give both of you chaps a bit of a slapping! I think I will leave the term 'eat' to when I am either talking about food or women. :D

Having said that, theres a good chance that a porche will destroy the chevy, but then again it may depend on mods....are we talking about straight line stuff?

As for the CBR and the Raider (STOCK) the CBR will NOT do what some are suggesting because the Raider has a higher top end speed of the two bikes, so irregardless of what happens at split times during any subsequent drag race, the Raider is eventually gonna suck past the cbr.

On the stock Raider there is definately a bit of a lag in a couple of gears but something that can easily be overcome by feeding the bastaard some more gas and air thru a bigger carb (go the yoshi flat) & with a bigger pipe at the dump end...then shes all go go go. Both bike, would do nicely with some basic mods to pick the power up by 10-15% then you just play around with the gearing slightly depending on what ur chasing, ie: faster acceleration or higher top end. Personally the standard gearing on both bikes isnt too bad.

Having said all of that, either the CBR or the RAIDER will not keep up with some of the Autos off the line, they always seem to get the initial jump but by about 50km/h, I know my raider builds up a head of steam & then disappears past them like they are in reverse....it always cracks me up when those things reach top speed & having only passed them in with three gears to go @ around 80km/h, its a no brainer. Nearly everytime I've had a run with a thai guy on one, hes madly trying to crouch down behind the so called fairing & as I cruise past I give em a little wave :D ....

I can imagine if the raider wasnt fully laden with my 90kg of fat it would just that little bit more perkier!

Another bike which I have seen really fly is the Honda Sonic 125. I have seen a few of them modified up & was really surprised how quick they are, they also seem snappier than 3 & 4th on the Raider.

These bikes always crack me up because they are only scooters (not the cbr) & in my mind they will only ever be scooters....but im not sizeist, fun can still be had. I reakon the CBR has much better suspension etc than the others & looks alot smarter too.

Anyway, heres to you chaps :o

Perhaps we should meet up, so I can give both of you chaps a bit of a slapping! I think I will leave the term 'eat' to when I am either talking about food or women. :D

Having said that, theres a good chance that a porche will destroy the chevy, but then again it may depend on mods....are we talking about straight line stuff?

*snicker*

As for the CBR and the Raider (STOCK) the CBR will NOT do what some are suggesting because the Raider has a higher top end speed of the two bikes, so irregardless of what happens at split times during any subsequent drag race, the Raider is eventually gonna suck past the cbr.

I can't authoritavely comment on the top speeds of the two bikes; but I know that at the top end you need quite a bit of clutch slippage to get the CBR to go faster. I never played with performance mods, but I'm assuming it's lack of the O2 that's holding the CBR back on top. Solve that problem and you'll be impressed by the little motor.

On the stock Raider there is definately a bit of a lag in a couple of gears but something that can easily be overcome by feeding the bastaard some more gas and air thru a bigger carb (go the yoshi flat) & with a bigger pipe at the dump end...then shes all go go go. Both bike, would do nicely with some basic mods to pick the power up by 10-15% then you just play around with the gearing slightly depending on what ur chasing, ie: faster acceleration or higher top end. Personally the standard gearing on both bikes isnt too bad.

I'm going to assume you mean the final gearing. Because if you mean the individual gearing I'll have to disagree with you. 3-4 on the CBR is pointless, unless I was trying to race someone I always just skipped it.

Having said all of that, either the CBR or the RAIDER will not keep up with some of the Autos off the line, they always seem to get the initial jump but by about 50km/h, I know my raider builds up a head of steam & then disappears past them like they are in reverse....it always cracks me up when those things reach top speed & having only passed them in with three gears to go @ around 80km/h, its a no brainer. Nearly everytime I've had a run with a thai guy on one, hes madly trying to crouch down behind the so called fairing & as I cruise past I give em a little wave :D ....

Even more fun with the Ninjette. Was cruising home one day ~95ish and must have ran by one of those little peckerwoods. Alls I saw in my mirror was the little helmet stuck up over the white fairing. He came past just wailing. I dropped down two gears, got going, shifted up about 5 meters behind him. Cruised along side for approximately a quarter of a mile and than upshifted. Opened her up and left him behind. Washed, rinsed, and repeated a couple of times till I got home.....

I can imagine if the raider wasnt fully laden with my 90kg of fat it would just that little bit more perkier!

Another bike which I have seen really fly is the Honda Sonic 125. I have seen a few of them modified up & was really surprised how quick they are, they also seem snappier than 3 & 4th on the Raider.

You'd be surprised at the number of Sonics sporting CBR 150 bores. Just down the road from me there's a kid who did that; went to Honda and just bought everything from the lower cylinder gasket upwards. Would have thought he had to buy the lower cam sprocket also, but his Engrish is non-existant and my Thai is limited to food and fun so I never found out definitively (and asking the wife to ask him is like asking her to translate from Swahilli..).

These bikes always crack me up because they are only scooters (not the cbr) & in my mind they will only ever be scooters....but im not sizeist, fun can still be had. I reakon the CBR has much better suspension etc than the others & looks alot smarter too.

Anyway, heres to you chaps :o

We need to settle this once and for all. Get together a CBR 150, a Raider 150, a Sonic 125, and a Ninja 250 for good measure. Everyone meet at Seacon Square at that little racetrack. We can get top speed by running the outer ring only; we can sort out the best handling by running the inner loops, and we can get shit faced at the bar afterwards (as long as we do it early enough to sober up for the ride home!).

^^ he he dave boo....you are a funny young man (quick someone tell me how old he is).

yes i was referring to final drive & I was also just referring to giving someone a little run on a standard bike.

I know someone with a Suzuki raider, it looks relatively standard with the exception of the brembos & a few little fancy things like adjustable leavers....its had a lot of good gear done to the engine & it makes mine look like a shopping cart (by performance).

its so farking tempting not to have mentioned this & just turn up on it.....i can see everyone sitting around at the bar later, going :D & scratching their heads. It would be :o .

Years ago, when I was a younger hoodlum, I bought myself an old Mazda Capella & other than a few suspension mods (& a beautifully tuned rotary 13B engine) it looked like a real heap of crap. I often use to pull up to the lights in this old beast, give some rev head the nod (normally met with fits of laughter on their side) & then launch it off the line, leaving them behind in a shower of rubber & dust. It was seriously quick & a lot of fun. Hard to find a Rotary mechanic that really knows his stuff.....the car eventually self destructed....with a little bit of help from yours truely.

anyway, enuf of the vanking stuff.

Interestingly young dave....can you tell me how the little ninjas launch? Have you seen some of those modified autos sling shot off the line? Whats ur comparo there?