Honda Phantom

ASHTONITE

If you think the Honda Phantom is underpowered at 200 cc then try the JRD Tornado at 150 cc. The top speed of the Tornado is barely 80 kmh and any little skooter will out perform it. It's only redeaming feature is it is comfortable and solid on the road. I like if for the around town stuff but wouldn't want to take any long journey on it. The newer model has come out this year sporting a 250 cc engine, but I haven't tried it out. The Tornado is almost a dead ringer for the Phantom in size and shape, but without the quality control that Honda is noted for.

I'll be interested in what response you get because I was told by a motorcycle mechanic (Harley dealer) that a good man COULD bump up the size quite a bit and not lose any reliability.

I am with the consensus here I wouldn't try it, I have a Phantom and accept the fact it is what it is. It is a comfortable entry level tourer with in my opinion, a superb frame and good reliability with an average to mediocre engine. Some multi cylinder engines can take a rebore without any problems, haven't researched it but I doubt if the single pot TA200 could.

Cheeers

Chris

I am with the consensus here I wouldn't try it, I have a Phantom and accept the fact it is what it is. It is a comfortable entry level tourer with in my opinion, a superb frame and good reliability with an average to mediocre engine. Some multi cylinder engines can take a rebore without any problems, haven't researched it but I doubt if the single pot TA200 could.

Cheeers

Chris

Thanks, Chris. That was my thought on the matter. It's probably cheaper in the long run to just buy another bike designed for the motor it has. I agree that the Phantom is a nice comfortable ride, and so is the JRD Tornado. But, they leave a lot to be desired in the power category.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many of the bikes of the same design in the 400 cc class. Most go way up to the 1000 cc category. The ones in between are crotch rockets that can get you in a world of hurt very quickly if you aren't careful. And, they aren't particularly comfortable for easy riding in the city.

Yes... that is the problem. I like the size and feel of the PHANTOM... just don't like the power... just not enough oooomph! :-)

I don't like the Crotch rockets... tried a CBR 400 and also the new 250cc Kawasaki Ninja... i am still in pain :-))))

hmm... where can i find a legal 400cc Phantom style bike that I can put some TLC into having it restored.

There are many 400 & 600 cc Honda Steeds around, a mate has one and is in the process of a tour from Pattaya to Chiang Mai with another pal who has a Honda American Classic 1300. They are stopping off here in Phetchabun on Sunday for a lemonade or two. He has both a Phantom and a Steed and in his opinion the Steed is no faster but has the power to get up to speed quicker.