Amulet Competition

somluck

I have a large collection of amulets, some 100 years old, but I have never been able to find any decent information in english.

The good (valuable) ones I have I have been given by thai family. I have taken some of them to the street in BKK (Par Prachan - gf's spelling) and get a lot of shocked looks followed by an explanation in thai about them which then has to be translated to me. Don't let the amulets out of your sight with these guys go. 99% of there's are fake and they'll happily switch your real one!

Unfortunately I would suggest the best course of action is to learn to read thai. Then you can read the myriad of books and magazines about them.

This could be a good place to post pics of our amulets and explanations. We could in essence start an english amulets info thread.

• 1 month later...
With all the concern about getting mugged on the forum where can I get a genuine one that stops bullets ?

Anywhere, but it won't work unless you are pure of heart and keep the precepts. :o

And if you are pure and keep the precepts, I guess you don't need one.

Any idea where i can access information in english on amulets competitions? Or related topics on amulets would be welcome too. Thanks in advance

Rehashing an old thread here but if you were to go to the Thaprajohn Market in Bangkok (along the river next to Thammasat Univ.) you can find a few amulet books written in English along with Thai.

Any idea where i can access information in english on amulets competitions? Or related topics on amulets would be welcome too. Thanks in advance

Did you try googling on "thai amulets competition"?

http://www.geocities.com/thai_pendants/pis...competition.htm

http://amulet-collection.blogspot.com/2009...8-march-09.html

Thanks for those links, Camerata. I was pretty sure that's what it entailed. It seems to be more of a showcase than a competition per se. But some exibitioners do take placements, so it still remains a competition.

What I was looking for for was some information regarding some of the other judging criteria used. I have not really found anything to that effect as of yet. I have seen sites describing what to look for when verifying authenticity of amulets, but beyond that how can an amulet place over another? If many people received the same amulet from a monk, aside from breakeage or something like that, all those amulets would more or less have those same traits described on those sites.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone. I was just a little curious about these tradeshows and what they entail.

What I was looking for for was some information regarding some of the other judging criteria used. I have not really found anything to that effect as of yet. I have seen sites describing what to look for when verifying authenticity of amulets, but beyond that how can an amulet place over another? If many people received the same amulet from a monk, aside from breakeage or something like that, all those amulets would more or less have those same traits described on those sites.

Just a guess, but in the old days some amulets were individually hand-made by monks and others were stamped out (hence the name phra phim) of clay, so perhaps the physical condition is very variable, particularly decades later.

• 2 weeks later...
If found this site helpful when starting to collect 9 years ago.

Thai amulets

Thanks PoorSucker. That's a useful link. It's a bit disturbing that most of the advertising on the site is directed at meeting single women :D

:o I know how you feel, but it is not that site that is doing it. It is this one, Google syndication in fact. If you search more than once for Meet single women or near wording. In addition to visiting those sites that have "meeting single women" in their precepts.

Google tags you and then follows you to any site that uses ANY of their web promotion banners, search engines or the like.

Yes invasion of YOUR privacy, but just read the Google Terms of Service which YOU agree to anytime you use their search engine.

I used my firewall to block two of Googles syndication sites, guess what, I could not use their search engine (timeout) some sites that have multiple banners would not load and report (can not load page).

If you take the time to read the Google TOS you will be shocked!! :D there is some kind of "we reserve the right" on 2/3 of the 15 page document.

First things first you must have the amulet that you wish to have in competitions registered with one of the Societies and you must be a member of that Society.

Then you will be invited by letter to compete.

The process can take a long time; I have been doing this now for about 12 years. Normally farangs are not accepted into the society, some members will ask you to allow them to enter it into the competition. BIG CAUTION on that.

If by chance your amulet wins from 1st to 4th in any amulet type it automatically jumps in value by 100% or more depending if it is one of the benjapakee group.

If you are set on doing this go to the Montien hotel complex on Surawongse, just across from the main entrance to the hotel, second floor. All the shops open around 6pm they are experts in the benjapakee group. And each one or most belongs to a different society.

Ask for Lek Watruak, or Lek Udomsuk the first man is about as honest as any dealer the second is helpful.

They can guide you through the process.

Now first and foremost take your amulets to a first class photographer zoom in and shot front back left and right and top and bottom of the amulets in super high resolution. NOT digital use film. This protects you in the event that your pim is switched.

My guru has been teaching me for the past 6 years the last two on a daily basis. I am becoming an expert in three of the five benjapakee group of amulets.

Edited by meelousee

The process can take a long time; I have been doing this now for about 12 years. Normally farangs are not accepted into the society, some members will ask you to allow them to enter it into the competition. BIG CAUTION on that.

If by chance your amulet wins from 1st to 4th in any amulet type it automatically jumps in value by 100% or more depending if it is one of the benjapakee group.

Now first and foremost take your amulets to a first class photographer zoom in and shot front back left and right and top and bottom of the amulets in super high resolution. NOT digital use film. This protects you in the event that your pim is switched.

I'm guessing the BIG CAUTION has to deal with amulets being switched out as well. So now that one will have pictures and what not, what is the recourse for when a switch occurs? How much of a difference does film vs. digital make, and how can one go about the recovery process?