One Way Tickets To Thailand

Hi there!

I'm currently in Australia (Australian resident) and plan on flying to Thailand on a one-way ticket. I have worked in Thailand for 2 years before, and have a few interviews lined up when i arrive, but i don't have a work permit. Can anyone tell me if i will run into problems (either at the airport here or there) travelling on a one-way ticket? Would love some feedback on this. THanks

Dan

Hi there!

I'm currently in Australia (Australian resident) and plan on flying to Thailand on a one-way ticket.  I have worked in Thailand for 2 years before, and have a few interviews lined up when i arrive, but i don't have a work permit.  Can anyone tell me if i will run into problems (either at the airport here or there) travelling on a one-way ticket?  Would love some feedback on this.  THanks

Dan

Qantas do most checkins out of Australia for most carriers. They will not board you. Whyever don't you get a tourist visa ?

For the last ten years, I have made so many visa runs to nearby countries by plane. I alway buy round trip from BKK. I have been to Sing, KL, HK, Tokyo, Taipei, Prom Phen, ect countless times. But I never had any problem boarding to come back Thailand as this leg becomes my return one-way ticket to thailand. I don't know why Australia will be a problem boarding to Thailand with one-way. Only Australia has this problem??

As I understand it, if the airline boards you and your not allowed into the destination country, they are obligated to return you to the country of origin. If you haven't pre-paid the return flight and you are not admitted into Thailand, they will have to return you to Oz free.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I flew from Honolulu to BKK on Korea Airlines with a one way ticket, as I was intending to retire in Thailand. I was on a tourist visa and no questions were asked.

For the last ten years, I have made so many visa runs to nearby countries by plane. I alway buy round trip from BKK. I have been to Sing, KL, HK, Tokyo, Taipei, Prom Phen, ect countless times. But I never had any problem boarding to come back Thailand as this leg becomes my return one-way ticket to thailand. I don't know why Australia will be a problem boarding to Thailand with one-way. Only Australia has this problem??

Most countries require either an outbound airticket or a visa from Thai bound travellers.

The problem is not so much at BKK but at the point of departure. From Australia, they are particularly strict to check that you either have a visa or have a round trip ticket and they do more than a simple glance at your passport to check the visa is for the right country. Many times I have flown in from the US on return legs of round trip tickets and the check-in agent had no idea what the visa looked like, so they have ended up reading China and India visa's and saying thats fine for a flight to BKK (despite correct Thai visa in passport but they did not look that far through the passport), but in Australia, they look specifically for the Thai visa EVERY time.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I flew from Honolulu to BKK on Korea Airlines with a one way ticket, as I was intending to retire in Thailand.  I was on a tourist visa and no questions were asked.

If you have a visa the exit ticket is not required. If you travel to Thailand expecting a 30 day on arrival stamp you are required to have proof of onward transportation and the airline may refuse boarding if you do not. You are likely to find long distance carriers more likely to check but I have been refused reservation from the PI by Thai on a return ticket without a visa. Very much up to the airline as it is seldom checked at Bangkok for first world travelers.