Vat Refund

I'm thinking of buying goods in BKK before leaving. I've checked out www.rd.go.th/vrt/ and it looks straightforward, but this is Thailand, where reality is often at odds with what's written ... Has anyone actually gone through this process recently? Successful result? Advice? I'm surprised you don't have to provide the almost obligatory photo, passport copy etc.

It is very straightforward, just follow the instructions given with VAT invoice, I did it again two weeks ago.

Basically, take the goods with the receipt to the office before you check in - they may ask to see them, then hand the stamped form at the counter airside and they will give you the cash minus a small fee. They may ask to see high value items air-side, but they have never asked me.

All the offices are well signposted.

Yep works fine. Do it all the time myself.

Biggest hassle is that after you purchase stuff say in department stores you need to go to separate counter where they fill you the tax refund forms and attach tax receipts. They ask to see your passport so good to have copy with you when shopping. I don't carry my passport or copy with me and just give them my passport number from my thai driving licence and it's fine.

Swampy has only one office before check-in and it's located behind the check-in counters, just follow the signs. Airside there is offices before security check to gates. If you take it to your credit card be prepared to wait a while. Can take months i hear so i just take it in cash. Once purchased more expensive watch and they wanted to see it at airside when collecting my refund. But in any case i would not check-in more expensive items any case.

One thing that some people may not know is that they require you to bring the original tax invoice as well. When you get a receipt from the shop in question it should be a two copy carbon. If there is only one and you want to keep a copy for warranty purposes photocopy it and give the VAT people the original.

I was heading out just after xmas with my new laptop, went and got the stamp before passport control, once inside went to pick up the refund but was turned away because i had the store receipt and not the tax invoice. I thought i was doing the right thing by bringing the white "front" copy for them and keeping the yellow carbon copy at home for my records. Turns out I had the wrong one. Even though they are EXACTLY the same one was named a tax invoice and the other was just a receipt. Anyhow, I just waited until the next time I travelled out of the Kingdom and got the refund then. There were some raised eyebrows at the date discrepancy on the VAT form but once i explained it they were cool about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips, I will need to make use of the refund failing which I will be negating savings. Heard a lot of bad stories on other forums but it looks like the people werent ready or equipped for the system.

Cliff Notes :

• Carry passport to store (or legitimate copy)
  • After purchase, Get tax refund forms filled, attach receipts.
  • At Suvarnabhumi get stamped BEFORE IMMIGRATION. (one office before check-in and it's located behind the check-in counters)
  • Be prepared to show customs the products/packaging & TAX INVOICE (not store reciept)
  • Processing fee deducted for refund in cash (THB)