Living Cost

sanjeevsharma

McDonalds Big Mac combo (incl. Coke + fries) 103 baht

KFC fillet burger combo (incl. Coke + fries) 99 baht

Burger King Whopper combo (incl. Coke + fries) 149 baht

Can of Coke / Pepsi in a supermarket 13 baht

5 km / 20 km metered taxi ride 60 / 150 baht

Plate of fried rice on street or in a food hall / in a restaurant 25 - 40 baht / 100 baht

950 ml bottle generic brand drinking water 5 baht

800 ml bottle of milk 38 baht (Dave, can you verify ?)

1.5 litre bottle of brand name drinking water 12 - 15 baht

6 litre bottle of brand name drinking water 34 - 38 baht

Local call from phone box (every 2 minutes) 1 baht

Singha beer 330ml / 640ml in supermarket 30 / 50 baht

Heineken beer 330ml / 640ml in supermarket 35 / 65 baht

Jack Daniel's 700 ml bottle 899 baht

Portion of fruit from street vendor 10 baht

Bangkok Post / The Nation newspaper 25 baht

Packet of cheap / expensive noodles 5 / 14 baht

Barber / Salon men's haircut 70 / 200 - 500 baht

Levis 501 jeans - genuine, not fake 2,350 baht

Paracetamol 500 mg 10 tablets generic brand 10 baht

New release English lang. paperback novels 300 - 450 baht

New release English lang. hardback novels 595 - 995 baht

New release movie ticket at cinema 100 - 140 baht

Nightly new release VHS video / DVD movie hire 30 - 50 baht

New release DVD (copied) 100 - 120 baht

New release DVD (original) 99 - 1,000+ baht

Local phone call (direct phone line / apartment line) 3 / 5 baht

Durex condoms, pack of three 50 baht

6 x 4 inch photograph print 3 - 5 baht

1 litre of 91 / 95 octane petrol 25.94 baht/ 34.14 baht

1 litre of diesel 19.84 baht

a Bike in BKK ? forget about it.

I would say to live comfortably with what I would call semi-western life style in regard to accomodation, dining out, quality entertainment, central location. would say between 250k to 400k per month is reasonable including insurances, retirement planning etc.

For example decent seats at the currently playing CHICAGO musical for you and your mrs would set you back 8000THB. Few drinks afterwards with some decent jazz at the sheraton 2000 plus dinner before hand at a fairly decent Italian including wine 5000. Total for the night out 15000THB. Or Noodles on the sidewalk plus a movie and a coffee at starbucks afterward 600THB.

As always it depends how you currently live and how you wish to live when you get here.

This is my first job after my college and it will take me some time(Years) before I can start making 250K or 400K a month :D . I think I will be happy with wat Colin suggested, a 8000-6000 Bhat apratment and 200 Bhat in food a day sounds reasonable to me. I will be leaving to Bkk in a month and look forward to it :D

I can't figure out if the reply was serious. :o 250K-400K is "reasonable" to live "comfortably"? :D

Using the example I gave of an evening out. BKK to live a western lifestyle is actually more expensive than the same lifestyle in the west.

250k I think is comfortable in BKK remember when you start sending your kids to the better international schools and use the best hospitals etc., insurances, Retirement funds 250k does not go a long way in BKK.

Rented Townhouse, 3 or 4 bedroom condo in one of the better central locations will set you back 50k-100k a month and thats not even the top end of the rental market.

You could get by with 250k but really to be secure and content with your lifestyle I think 350k is good. If you look at the expat contracts (Non teaching) a lot of them are in this ball park.

As posted above by a member do you want to "Exist" in BKK or do you want to "Live" in BKK.

I would say to live comfortably with what I would call semi-western life style in regard to accomodation, dining out, quality entertainment, central location. would say between 250k to 400k per month is reasonable including insurances, retirement planning etc.

For example decent seats at the currently playing CHICAGO musical for you and your mrs would set you back 8000THB. Few drinks afterwards with some decent jazz at the sheraton 2000 plus dinner before hand at a fairly decent Italian including wine 5000. Total for the night out 15000THB. Or Noodles on the sidewalk plus a movie and a coffee at starbucks afterward 600THB.

As always it depends how you currently live and how you wish to live when you get here.

This is my first job after my college and it will take me some time(Years) before I can start making 250K or 400K a month :D . I think I will be happy with wat Colin suggested, a 8000-6000 Bhat apratment and 200 Bhat in food a day sounds reasonable to me. I will be leaving to Bkk in a month and look forward to it :D

I can't figure out if the reply was serious. :o 250K-400K is "reasonable" to live "comfortably"? :D

Edited by namoo

I've been keeping very detailed records over the past year and have broken down my spending patterns into the following proportions:

Food: 15.4%

Drink: 20.3%

Transport: 7.2%

Entertainment: 26.2%

Rent: 25.9%

Utilities: 5.1%

Entertainment includes leisure activities like going to the movies, massages, buying DVDs/software, etc.

I do all of this on a salary of 85,000 baht a month. Obviously, your proportions will vary (ie. if you don't drink) but I've found it to be a pretty good life, all in all.

BFD!

Aswin.

800 ml bottle of milk 38 baht (Dave, can you verify ?) ..... Nahh 40 Baht at tesco yesterday : )

Uhhh ? ?

330 can of beer chang when bought in bulk ( 24 ) from a wholesaler = 18 baht a can !.... NOT 30 or 35

enjoy ..... dave2 : )

Most of the estimates are probably correct. Some of the posters making big money could not get by on 200,000 baht per month while others, such as teachers seem happy enough on 30,000 baht per month. It all depends on how and where you want to live.

I've been keeping very detailed records over the past year and have broken down my spending patterns into the following proportions:

Food: 15.4%

Drink: 20.3%

Transport: 7.2%

Entertainment: 26.2%

Rent: 25.9%

Utilities: 5.1%

Entertainment includes leisure activities like going to the movies, massages, buying DVDs/software, etc.

I do all of this on a salary of 85,000 baht a month. Obviously, your proportions will vary (ie. if you don't drink) but I've found it to be a pretty good life, all in all.

BFD!

well I haven't been keeping detailed records over the last decade but here are some guestimates...

Food: 25% - what can i say, i like good food

Drink: 25% - beer doesn't grown on trees ya know!

Transport: 3% - walking is a great way to sober up after a big meal

Entertainment: 10% - seems low but when you add in f&B above - it's 60% of my outgoings

Rent: 20% - a room with a view and padded walls

Utilities: 6% - varies according to the season

Girls: 1% - what can I say, I am cheap date.

Using the example I gave of an evening out. BKK to live a western lifestyle is actually more expensive than the same lifestyle in the west.

250k I think is comfortable in BKK remember when you start sending your kids to the better international schools and use the best hospitals etc., insurances, Retirement funds 250k does not go a long way in BKK.

Rented Townhouse, 3 or 4 bedroom condo in one of the better central locations will set you back 50k-100k a month and thats not even the top end of the rental market.

You could get by with 250k but really to be secure and content with your lifestyle I think 350k is good. If you look at the expat contracts (Non teaching) a lot of them are in this ball park.

As posted above by a member do you want to "Exist" in BKK or do you want to "Live" in BKK.

What do the people who earn 250-350k/month actually do, and how do I do it?

Aswin.

800 ml bottle of milk 38 baht (Dave, can you verify ?) ..... Nahh 40 Baht at tesco yesterday : )

Uhhh ? ?

330 can of beer chang when bought in bulk ( 24 ) from a wholesaler = 18 baht a can !.... NOT 30 or 35

enjoy ..... dave2 : )

What are you on about mate? Chang is cheaper than singha, and the comparator was a single can.

Aswain

What is vitemilk ? ?

never heard of it !

i drink 1000 Ml of full fat milk every day and im still a handsome man according to the girls i see every night in the chiang mai girly bars and im nearly 60 !

enjoy ...your vitamilk ? ? .... 100 % full fat rules for me .... dave2

Vitamilk is made of soyabeens, very tastefull

Living or existing???

EXACTLY.

Quality of life, get a nice living dwelling, apartment or house, UBC, may seem expensive but you will entertain more at home or stay at home, in nice surrounding's.

If you decide to live cheaply and feed at the market because you want to spend your money on female company upto you, your choice. You will go out more because you do not like your surrounding's.

100 k a month for a nice life here in BKK, decent night out with a home package will cost 6k each night.

:o

Edited by Ave88

Bangkok is getting expensive and there is no 1 dollars starbuck for a coffee here.. You will need to go the the roads. to get that.

Bangkok is getting expensive and there is no 1 dollars starbuck for a coffee here.. You will need to go the the roads. to get that.e

2 Pad Thai 80 Baht (One of the better establishments)

2 Movie Seats 300 Baht

2 Tall Coffee's at Starbucks 220 Baht.

TOTAL 600 Baht.

I think you will find my calculations are correct mate. Anyway the Jazz at the sheraton is much better.

Edited by namoo

Bangkok is getting expensive and there is no 1 dollars starbuck for a coffee here.. You will need to go the the roads. to get that.e

2 Pad Thai 80 Baht (One of the better establishments)

2 Movie Seats 300 Baht

2 Tall Coffee's at Starbucks 220 Baht.

TOTAL 600 Baht.

I think you will find my calculations are correct mate. Anyway the Jazz at the sheraton is much better.

:o Keep this place quite mate, anyways, a bottle of decent plonk and couple of cocktails for your girl will set you back about 3 grand. But well worth it if you like your jazz.