Safes

Samuiclaudia

Hello

We are a developer on Samui and need to get some small safes for our holiday villas. 

The only ones we can get on Samui are elctronic but we want ordinary safes with a key.

Can anyone suggest where we might start looking for these on the mainland.

Thank you

:o

Does Samui have it's own Yellow pages telephone directory? If so, look in there.

If not, look for any shop that sells office equipment; copiers, swivel chairs, desks etc.

Try the big furniture chain stores, Koncept, Index and all. They also sell various kinds of safes.

Why not electronic ones by the way? No fuss with keys getting lost? Or are lost-key charges an essential extra source of income? :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Try the big furniture chain stores, Koncept, Index and all. They also sell various kinds of safes.

Why not electronic ones by the way?   No fuss with keys getting lost?  Or are lost-key charges an essential extra source of income? :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was going to mention in my op that even though I don't use hotel safes, if I had to, then I would prefer the electronic type where you input your own combination.

The thought of using a key type wouldn't give me peace of mind. Not knowing who had the spare key would be kind of unsettling.

I understand that the electronic type could be difficult for non-English speakers to read the instructions on setting the combo, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts as to which type is the best.

Just a thought. :o

Edited by Gazza

That dind't even occur to me yet... Yes indeed, nothing stopping a guest from getting a copy made, then returning a week later to break into the room. This already happens with doors that use keys rather than cards or electronic wands, so nothing stopping it from happening for safes too. Actually this will be HIGHER risk, as now you've added false security, with people storing valuables in an unsecure safe rather than taking stuff with them or leaving it at a front office storage box.

So, safe + key: Bad idea.

Rhymes too.

So it must be true. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think there have been some very valid replies to the original poster. Given the choice between a safe (electronic or otherwise) and a safe-deposit box / locker using a conventional padlock I'd much prefer the latter any day. With this arrangement, guests should be free to use their own padlock or purchase (not hire) one from reception. You'd make a small profit on the sale of padlocks and could charge a special rate for the removal of locks where the key was mislaid. :o

Even the electronic type (personal input code) are not immune from being opened by unauthorised persons.

A few years back a Thai hotel employee coated the safe's buttons in a guest's room with a fine coating of powder. When the guests were absent he checked to see which buttons had been pressed and then keyed-in various combinations of the four buttons used.

He'd got the idea from watching an episode of the US tv series 'McGyver'. :o