Thai Girlfriend Find Good Paying Job Outside Of Thailand

I'm an American that just moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago. My Thai girlfriend is graduating with her Bachelors of Arts in English next month. She is taking Flight Attendant courses on the weekends and wants to be a flight attendant because she likes helping others and it's a high paying job. She wants to pay money back to her parents. A traditional thing I've come to learn in Thai culture.

However, with a bachelor's degree and speaking Thai and English if she is unable to acquire a flight attendant job, she wants to move to another country where the exchange rate is more favorable for sending money to her family here in Thailand. I agree and we will move together.

For the time being we are interested in Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and possibly Singapore, Japan, or the U.S. for places where we can move and she can get a job to pay back her family and save up money. We want to travel and possibly move to Zurich, Switzerland in the future.

I know the U.S. would only be an option if we were married. We are looking at marriage for a year or two away.

Any suggestions for my girlfriend? From some quick research, it appears a Thai Passport doesn't get you far in this world and you need a lot of paperwork just to 'visit' another country! I'm excited to bring her to America and get her an American passport. She worked in the U.S. for a few months legally and has a U.S. social security card. This was as a student so it was easy for her to go to the States. She finishes her bachelors in a few weeks and loses her student status.

Peace,

Zen

I'm an American that just moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago. My Thai girlfriend is graduating with her Bachelors of Arts in English next month. She is taking Flight Attendant courses on the weekends and wants to be a flight attendant because she likes helping others and it's a high paying job. She wants to pay money back to her parents. A traditional thing I've come to learn in Thai culture.

However, with a bachelor's degree and speaking Thai and English if she is unable to acquire a flight attendant job, she wants to move to another country where the exchange rate is more favorable for sending money to her family here in Thailand. I agree and we will move together.

For the time being we are interested in Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and possibly Singapore, Japan, or the U.S. for places where we can move and she can get a job to pay back her family and save up money. We want to travel and possibly move to Zurich, Switzerland in the future.

I know the U.S. would only be an option if we were married. We are looking at marriage for a year or two away.

Any suggestions for my girlfriend? From some quick research, it appears a Thai Passport doesn't get you far in this world and you need a lot of paperwork just to 'visit' another country! I'm excited to bring her to America and get her an American passport. She worked in the U.S. for a few months legally and has a U.S. social security card. This was as a student so it was easy for her to go to the States. She finishes her bachelors in a few weeks and loses her student status.

Peace,

Zen

Zen

Your girlfriend might like to consider a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) for Australia.

Work and Holiday visas are available to Thai nationals 18 to 30 years of age who hold a tertiary qualification. This visa would allow your girlfriend to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.

Regards

bridge

Whats a good paying job?

A BA from a western uni wouldn't get a good paying job in the west. One from a Thai Uni (with a major in English) isn't really great a qualification for much.

This is VERY true. I'm not entirely sure what kind of job she would want to get nor do I believe she knows herself, either. I know she likes to help people and work in the hospitality industry. She has mentioned working at a hotel before - I would assume as a front desk manager or something of the like. She wants to own her own restaurant in the future and said she might go for her Master's degree in the Hospitality field (Hotel Management/Tourism) if she is unable to secure a job as a flight attendant after graduation.

I guess, something that pays around $3,000 USD (100,000 Baht) a month and is in the hospitality field. I mentioned to her to work as a receptionist at a Language School here in Thailand so she can pick up the German language (possibly) as she wants to learn that. She worked at Starbucks in the States but she doesn't want to do that here, obviously, because of the pay rate.

But, she will hold a bachelors degree - and it appears that in this country that gives her a higher social status.

Sidenote: In America I was a waiter/bartender and made more weekly than people with a B.A. in an office job did. Maybe I can talk her into being a waitress in a resort area in another country...

Zen

Your girlfriend might like to consider a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) for Australia.

Work and Holiday visas are available to Thai nationals 18 to 30 years of age who hold a tertiary qualification. This visa would allow your girlfriend to travel and work in Australia for up to 12 months.

Regards

bridge

Bridge,

Thanks - I'll look into this. Australia was at the top of the list I do believe. Then again, it seems Thais change their mind often and in the same breathe. (But I love her all the same)

Would I be able to easily obtain a visa lasting for 12 months if I am a U.S. citizen with valid passport and will be a tourist only? I work online so there's no risk of me working illegally in another country.

I wonder what kind of job she could obtain....

Thanks,

Zen

Peace,

Zen

Have you taken into account the cost of living in the countries you have listed? I know that Switzerland, particularly Zurich and Geneva have high costs of living and I believe that Singapore and Japan also have higher costs of living. She was able to work while in the US with her student status, but if she wants to go to a western country to work properly she's going to have to secure a working visa, which in most cases will require a company to sponsor her and in in some countries they would have to prove that your girlfriend can do a job that a local can't do. Add this to the fact your girlfriend has no experience to speak of and a degree that would rank under most western equivalents and you are looking at a pretty tough task ahead.

I'd advise her to get a better idea of what she wants to do. If she really wants to go into hospitality, then she should try and get into one of the big hotels in BKK and get some solid experience that she can offer a western hotel, rather than just be a fresh faced foreign graduate.

Whats a good paying job?

A BA from a western uni wouldn't get a good paying job in the west. One from a Thai Uni (with a major in English) isn't really great a qualification for much.

This is VERY true. I'm not entirely sure what kind of job she would want to get nor do I believe she knows herself, either. I know she likes to help people and work in the hospitality industry. She has mentioned working at a hotel before - I would assume as a front desk manager or something of the like. She wants to own her own restaurant in the future and said she might go for her Master's degree in the Hospitality field (Hotel Management/Tourism) if she is unable to secure a job as a flight attendant after graduation.

I guess, something that pays around $3,000 USD (100,000 Baht) a month and is in the hospitality field. I mentioned to her to work as a receptionist at a Language School here in Thailand so she can pick up the German language (possibly) as she wants to learn that. She worked at Starbucks in the States but she doesn't want to do that here, obviously, because of the pay rate.

But, she will hold a bachelors degree - and it appears that in this country that gives her a higher social status.

Sidenote: In America I was a waiter/bartender and made more weekly than people with a B.A. in an office job did. Maybe I can talk her into being a waitress in a resort area in another country...

Trainee flight attendant at $3000 USD (100,000 THB) per month, what have you been smoking ZenTraveler. Sounds like both of you need a reality check.

Flight Attendants based out of Bangkok get paid up to 100,000 Baht/month (~$3,000 USD/month). But it is hard work, from what I have read, and very time consuming. I believe I heard the average wage in Thailand for a girl is around 10,000/month but I'm thinking it's even lower than that. Of course, none of which includes being an "adult entertainer" as she doesn't like seeing girls do that in Thailand.

Whats a good paying job?

Trainee flight attendant at $3000 USD (100,000 THB) per month, what have you been smoking ZenTraveler. Sounds like both of you need a reality check.

But then again I could be wrong... this is just what I heard. I can't remember if it was only from her directly or if I looked it up myself. I keep forgetting to recheck things she tells me because a lot of times it seems she doesn't actually know but tells me information as if she knows it. Hmm..

Thanks for the comment.

But then again I could be wrong... this is just what I heard. I can't remember if it was only from her directly or if I looked it up myself. I keep forgetting to recheck things she tells me because a lot of times it seems she doesn't actually know but tells me information as if she knows it. Hmm..

Welcome to Thailand ZenTravler.

Welcome to Thailand ZenTravler.

haha.. yeah. Some quick research showed that flight attendants make around 25,000 baht/month up to 50,000 baht for more experience and work over 50 hours a week - not including travel time to the airport and back.

Flight Attendants based out of Bangkok get paid up to 100,000 Baht/month (~$3,000 USD/month). But it is hard work, from what I have read, and very time consuming. I believe I heard the average wage in Thailand for a girl is around 10,000/month but I'm thinking it's even lower than that. Of course, none of which includes being an "adult entertainer" as she doesn't like seeing girls do that in Thailand.

Thai nationals who work for a Thai airline and are based in Thailand do not earn even a fraction of that figure. Thai nationals working for some overseas airlines but based out of Bangkok may, in exceptional circumstances, earn up to three quarters of that amount.

Thai nationals who work for a Thai airline and are based in Thailand do not earn even a fraction of that figure. Thai nationals working for some overseas airlines but based out of Bangkok may, in exceptional circumstances, earn up to three quarters of that amount.

Thank you. I was evidently going off of what my g/f told me. I did a quick search and it appears that around 25,000 baht/month is more common and as high as 50,000 baht for experienced/long term FA's. She wants to apply for a foreign airline based in Bangkok - not a Thai airline. I think going to a more developed country and being a waitress for 6 or 12 months may be more profitable.

We will see what we see when we see it.

I think you'll find that beginning FA's in most countries don't get any real money (very poor wages except for when in the air).

Your GF is likely in for some difficulties finding decent work outside of Thailand.

I believe with her qualifications her best opportunity would be to work in country that imports most of its labor. Unfortunately that usually means the Middle East. Many Thais work in the hospitably business in the Emirates and make very good money. I just don’t see any major hotels going through the visa/work permit hassle to hire a hotel clerk for a hotel in Zurich or any other western European country.

Not sure how the Australian visa thing works, but if she can legally get there she could probably get a job. Of course, Australia is in the beginnings of a massive recession due to falling commodity prices and those types of jobs are probably being filled by laid off engineers.

I do know a couple of Thai women that have gone to work in spas in the Europe and are doing very well. There is a certain image problem, even though they are not sex workers by any definition.

TH

I think you'll find that beginning FA's in most countries don't get any real money (very poor wages except for when in the air).

Your GF is likely in for some difficulties finding decent work outside of Thailand.

It sounds like there are a lot of disadvantages to being Thai from the responses I am getting. She (will have) a bachelor's degree and speaks English - which from the common person I encounter everyday in Bangkok, seems to be average or above average for this country. We just need to find/create the opportunities for her that will allow her to become more, learn more, and make more (money) than if she just worked at Tesco. ;-)

It sounds like there are a lot of disadvantages to being Thai from the responses I am getting. She (will have) a bachelor's degree and speaks English - which from the common person I encounter everyday in Bangkok, seems to be average or above average for this country. We just need to find/create the opportunities for her that will allow her to become more, learn more, and make more (money) than if she just worked at Tesco. ;-)

I don’t think being Thai has anything in particular to do with it. I think someone with a bachelors degree in English, regardless of the nationality would struggle to find a high paying job immediatly out of school. They certainly would not be able to go to another country and expect to find one.

TH

It's nothing to do with being Thai specifically, but being an inexperienced young person straight out of college in a country where visas are required for most other countries. If she were from an EU country she would have no problems going to another EU country and getting a job easily as she wouldn't need a visa. The fact she needs a visa means a company in the west would need to sponsor her for a working visa and they aren't going to do for anyone who has just left college and has no experience in the industry. The fact she speaks above average English is not a big enough attraction for an company in Europe/North America etc. to bother with all the hassle of getting a visa for her. They can go out on the street and get someone who can speak English without having to deal with work visas.

Does she have a degree from an American Uni? If she worked there as a student it appears so. I think your gf has an above average chance of getting permission to enter the United States and trying to find work if she has been there before. The problem is the economy is terrible right now and a foreigner unless doing cheap labor no native wants to do, is going to be at a big disadvantage.

Does she have a degree from an American Uni? If she worked there as a student it appears so. I think your gf has an above average chance of getting permission to enter the United States and trying to find work if she has been there before. The problem is the economy is terrible right now and a foreigner unless doing cheap labor no native wants to do, is going to be at a big disadvantage.

No, she is graduating from a Thai college with her bachelors degree next month. She went to America and worked for only three months during a college break.

you are new to Thailand, take the opportunity to live here for a long time first to learn all about the people and language and customs.

you mentioned that you work online so you can be anywhere, Thailand has a low cost of living and gives you a great opportunity to learn a new culture.

setting up in another country won't be easy at all: as an American you can get around pretty easily but you can't just go to Switz for example and set up shop. you can only get a tourist visa for a short-term and yes they keep very close track of foreigners, i lived there for 13 years. for a thai it will be very difficult as you already mentioned.

you could take her to the USA on a fiance visa that's good for 90 days, then of course not get married, and she would have to leave the country, but no harm would be done and it's legal.

i would suggest not letting her take everything over with her plans to go overseas just yet. make her wait for her plans to unfold. seize the opportunity to learn about her country, she should want that for you too.

just my humble input for what it's worth!

ricky teelac

i think with the global economy tanking,best bet is find work domestically.there are still lots of jobs teaching english in thailand,not great money by international standards but ok for thailand.as of last year there were many good paying jobs at many hotels in tourist destinations for thai nationals with above average english skills.not sure now as tourism as somewhat tanked as well.30-50k a month in thailand is pretty good.if your going to live in farang ville,your broke with that income.

Whats a good paying job?

It sounds like you're a bit jaded from some negative experiences or stories. I did fine with a bachelors from the States, and it wasn't from any top 10 school or Ivy League. I didn't get any special treatment either....it's called hard work, networking, and planning. It also helps if you have a high GPA getting out of school and select the right career for the times.

BTW, I graduated during a recession.

It's worked fine for me and most of my successful friends.

Just a different perspective on the West.

I wish the best of luck for you and your girlfriend but it sounds as if everyone is being overly nice to you. No matter where you go around the world, there are good people and people who will look at you as an opportunity. The suggestion of staying here and learning about each other and better understanding the Thai culture sounds like your best step. You can work from here and take advantage of the cheap cost of living while she finishes school and gets some local hospitality experience. That money can start to pay back her mother and you can fit in or not with her family. Time together and her work experience would go a long way into moving to any country later.

The quickest way to enter the US is as a fiancee then giving you 3-6 months to marry and she can stay as a relative alien. Most countries have heavy restrictions on females with a Thai passport. How did she manage to be in the US for a just a few months (even as a student), have a SS card and working permit, and yet leave so quickly? That sounds like a wasted opportunity, doesn't it? A US school sounds like it would provide the best education. I have Thai friends with 4 year English degrees from a Thai uni who can't speak English! Setting up an American home would let her make the most money living with you while you map the future, maybe bringing her mom there as a payback. The Thai marriage gifts you will provide include paying back for the "mother's milk" in raising her. A foriegner taking care of a Thai woman and her family for life on top of the sinsod dowry would be like a dream to any modest Thai family.

I had a friend who came here for a visit with no intention of a relationship other than a friend. The next trip back all of a sudden there was "deep thought" that they were "the one". It went downhill from there. A lot of fun, but down hill. The girl's mother was getting old and tired and she wanted to retire so the girl wanted to send some money to "help". My friend, at 47 years old, found out the mother was 37 and the family had several shops and businesses. Coming to America was the prime goal. A spot at a US school, prepaid, was offered if she got the student visa and did the schoolwork. The required high school diploma was secured and a tutor with the required ACT and Toefl books were waiting for her at home. All that was required was to actually go to school but that is not what was being looked for. Learning that in time kept my friend from losing a lot of time and hard work.

I hope that everything works out well for you two.

Make sure you can have a relationship that is worth something.

Thai girlfriend with a BA in English is worth what in an English speaking country ? not much with all the unemployed people who are native speakers and have some real working skills...

what is English worth in an non-speaking country ? worthless... if she would speak German and then go to swizz... she might have a chance as a low lever labour...

which company would go trough all the crap to get someone from a 3rd world country without specific experience...

if she can do something special that no local can do ... maybe work as a Thai / English translator - communication / export business in one of those countries if required...

No, she is graduating from a Thai college with her bachelors degree next month. She went to America and worked for only three months during a college break.

A lot has to do with her financial situation here in Thailand, if she is from a middle class family who have good jobs and own property, and if she has a bank account with regular monthly deposits, and if someone can post a security bond for her, then it will be quite easy for her to go overseas, Japan has good opportunities for Thai girls and good pay. Wish you best of luck but I think you staying here and working on your relationship, would be a much better idea, most Thai girls want a Thai boyfriend and only see Farang as a walking ATM machine, especially if her family has no moneys, its her duty to find that ATM machine.....but, they are just so God-dammed easy to fall in love with....

Zen,

I cannot speak with authority about other parts of the world, but after being a pilot with a major airline here in the US for over 35 years, I do have some opinions about the possibility of your gf getting a F/A job in the US in today's current job market. Virtually all the major US carriers are cutting back and many are furloughing F/A's at the present time due the current recession so I do not know any majors that are hiring or that plan to be in the very near future. There may be some very slight possibility of F/A hiring with some of the regional carriers (but I seriously doubt it) however if there are any openings I can assure you that the competition for those jobs would be fierce. As for pay, most majors start F/A trainees at around $2000. or less per month. Regional carriers starting pay is even lower. After being with a major airline for over 10 years, a F/A with a some major US (not regional) carriers may find it possible to make between $3000. and $4500. per month.

As you are probably aware, the whole job market here in the US is terrible and it is very difficult for anyone to get a job unless it falls into the menial minimum wage category. A Bachelors degree, even from from here in the US (much less Thailand), doesn't mean very much in today's poor employment climate. Sorry to rain on your parade, but IMHO those are the facts at present as I see them here in the US. Hopefully things will begin to look better for the airline industry in the coming years.

@jetjock - thanks. She's not looking at a U.S. airline or to be a F/A in or to the U.S.. She is not confident in her English speaking ability. It seems here in Thailand they learn "Universal English" which is enough to interact internationally, but not understand American, British, or Australia sense of humor, metaphors, jokes, or other uses of language. I agree that the standard for a recent college graduate in the U.S. has gone from bachelor's to master's degree or higher. When I got my associates degree in '02 I think was about the time everyone wanted at least a bachelor's.

@connel707 - I would say middle class family background. Both her parents are teachers, her mom is retired (late forties) and her dad is still working (fifties) but wants to retire soon. Her brother is a doctor with his own clinic. She doesn't use me as an ATM but does like when I pay for her. There is a difference. She has no problem paying for herself or going 1/2 when we go out or for dinners if I'm on a budget then. She never asks me to buy her clothes or anything and I don't give her money. I hear a lot of Thai girls want the farang to pay for everything and give them (and their family) money. I have not meant any girl like this and my g/f doesn't seem to be this way. She wants to get a good paying job so she can pay money to her family and save for our future. She says she will pay money for her family and I don't have too. Maybe I found one of the good ones, eh?

@thaibkk - She wants to learn German and took some classes already. I agree with what you said though.

@msjamielynn1 - thank you for your entire post. I hadn't thought about her going to school in America as she said she is thinking about getting a Master's in the Hospitality field if she can't secure a flight attendant job. Although Thailand is a great country and the Thai people respect and love it greatly here and I am excited to be here and out of America, part of me misses Westernized civilization and does not want to live in a third world country. It's probably the part of me that was just attacking the mosquitoes with air freshner and hungry because I'm vegetarian. I'll mention the schooling in America to her. I do not want to rush marriage and make sure that, even though I love the girl, that I am making the best decisions for my life at the right moments - if that makes sense.

@teelac888 - I was just thinking recently how thankful I am that the cost of living here is cheaper than in America and gives me chance to earn some money online and save for the future. I was just talking to a European about how the Switzerland can be difficult to get into and such. I am still researching what countries or cities (like Hong Kong) a Thai girl can easily go too and which they can not.

Thanks everyone for your posts and information.

Peace,

ZenTraveler

Zen:

Couple things: First, if your GF is graduating from an American University, she may be entitled to a one-year extension of her student visa during which she is permitted to work in the field of her degree. Several Thai friends of mine stayed after graduation under just such a provision. Not sure of the details, and it may depend on whether hers is an F visa or M visa and whether she'd need to line up work in advance, but it's probably worth investigating, at the very least. If she is at an American school, someone there who deals with foreign students would no doubt have more information.

As for the air hostess thing, while their salaries are good, the real money is made by stashing away their per diem for international flights (while eating MaMa noodles in their rooms), and smuggling in luxury goodies for resale to friends and businesses upon their return home. If your GF has friends who are international "airs," they can tell her all about it. Needless to say, this scheme doesn't work if you work only domestic flights.

The good news is that if your GF has spent time studying abroad, her TOEIC and interview scores will almost certainly put her in a good position to be hired by Thai, assuming that they're actually hiring in this economy and that she didn't spend her whole time in the states with other compatriots (which happens). While the air-hostess prep courses are good as far as they go, there simply is no substitute for immersion when it comes to language learning (as anyone who's flown on any of the domestic airlines can attest). While Thai hires no shortage of girls and boys with good connections and almost zero language skills, those who can actually speak English or another tongue have a huge advantage.

Edited by faranginexile