Day Trip Across Border/maesai

Have been on a single entry supporting spouse visa for several years and would like to cross the border in Maesai/Chiang Rai just to do some shopping for the day and wondering if it would conflict with my single entry status. I've heard rumors that it can be done by just presenting a photo copy of your passport and not getting the 'stamp out' in the actual passport.

Has anyone done it?? or know for sure??

Have been on a single entry supporting spouse visa for several years and would like to cross the border in Maesai/Chiang Rai just to do some shopping for the day and wondering if it would conflict with my single entry status. I've heard rumors that it can be done by just presenting a photo copy of your passport and not getting the 'stamp out' in the actual passport.

Not quite sure what you actually do have , but the only way to keep your stay alive is to get a Re Entry Permit from Immigration 1,000 Baht.

Hi Jaideeguy !

I witnessed myself twice the situation that friends of mine had to pay only 100 Baht to the thai immigration officer and been allowed to go to Tachilek. Passport stays at imm. office on the thai side.

Just talk to the officer wich is usually standing in front of imm. office (before window for stamping pp.)

Officers do know about the demand for this service and are helpfull with it.

Have fun in Takchilek.

Hi Jaideeguy !

I witnessed myself twice the situation that friends of mine had to pay only 100 Baht to the thai immigration officer and been allowed to go to Tachilek. Passport stays at imm. office on the thai side.

Just talk to the officer wich is usually standing in front of imm. office (before window for stamping pp.)

Officers do know about the demand for this service and are helpfull with it.

Have fun in Takchilek.

How did they enter and exit Burma without a passport?

More tea money I presume.

I did it years ago when I lived in Chiang Rai. If it can still be done, you get a photocopy of your passport data page (with your photo etc) and your non imm stamp/visa. Present this to the border immi and they will keep your passport and stamp the photocopy which you then take over the border and present to the Burmese immi agents. They will charge you US5 or 10 (not sure of today's price) and stamp your photocopy. They will also stamp the photocopy as you go out. Come back to the Thai side and get your passport back. No Re entry permit and no stamps cluttering up your passport!!

However, I did this years ago. I would post this in the Chaing Rai forum for more up to date info.