Phuket Protests Biased Reporting In Global Media

george

ps

"just curious about what you have done to help the situation. beside attacking the people trying to get positve/good press out."

Phuket Richard - instead of bleating- please do a search on my recent posts, and you'll see exactly what tangible thing i've done to get a positive message across.

Moog,

Ok points understood. I never said all is fine and tried to be non partial in my reports and statements.

I have no vested interst here other than I would hate to see my thai friends starve over the coming months. I still love it here.

Phuket is not as it was on the 25th and will never be like that again. Hopefully it will be better but knowing what I know I doubt it.

BUT 80% of Phuket is.

Samui/Pattaya no change.

People need to understand that Phuket is still a beautiful place. Many will find the worst in the area and trully you only have to drive thru Kamala or along Patong beach to see that.

But really the beach is incredable. never in 15 years has it been this clean. I am not going into the water for another week for obvious reason but I hate to see the thai's knocked back twice for things they have no control over.

Phuket Is not Sri lanka or Sumatra. That really needs to be gotten out.

Lets get out the boxing gloves boys! But seriously went out last night and there was hardly any one in town. Alot of people have all there money invested right now and its going to hurt them big time. Yes and the survivors living in the tents want to work again and make a life for them selves and what ever remains of their families. Let us all pull together now is not the time for fighting, name calling or jealousy.

Lets get out the boxing gloves boys! But seriously went out last night and there was hardly any one in town. Alot of people have all there money invested right now and its going to hurt them big time. Yes and the survivors living in the tents want to work again and make a life for them selves and what ever remains of their families. Let us all pull together now is not the time for fighting, name calling or jealousy.

Good point Cap'n. Thanks for weighing in.

Also, Richard, I can vouch for Moog on one point, he apparently helped get Candy Flip's amazing story out to the BBC and I'm sure he's working behind the scenes on others. He's also giving an invaluable insiders view on how we shoud expect the intnl media to react. But Moog, I really understand how folks would stay away out of respect, or fear but the net results the same...a potential double tragedy.

I emailed this thread to CNN at about 11 a.m. to [email protected] my surprise, in short order, they actually read my email on air "What is the TRUE present day situation in Phuket and why aren't we hearing it/seeing it on news?" They then quoted some of the report at the start of this thread. Excellent.

Then, this afternoon, they had a British fellow on from TAT(??) He summed up by saying people shouldn't hesitate to return as the locals need your custom and the majority of areas are fine.

I said I'd refrain from posting here but I feel a bit better at these developments.

Its okay - we like a vigorous debate here, and are all friends at the end !

Anyway, in 2 months, all journalists will be knifing each other to do the...

"Phuket's back - and its so quiet here" ....story

If only because they'll want the free holiday after the Iraq elections. That's just the way the industry works. Being fair was never part of the deal.

I just wish Thaksin could have accepted some foreign aid to give to the people in the area whose earnings will suffer in what will be a subdued tourist season. Instead, Indonesian politicans have snaffled the lions share.

Its okay - we like a vigorous debate here, and are all friends at the end !

Anyway, in 2 months, all journalists will be knifing each other to do the...

"Phuket's back - and its so quiet here" ....story

If only because they'll want the free holiday after the Iraq elections. That's just the way the industry works. Being fair was never part of the deal.

I just wish Thaksin could have accepted some foreign aid to give to the people in the area whose earnings will suffer in what will be a subdued tourist season. Instead, Indonesian politicans have snaffled the lions share.

Cheers Moog. I STILL don't know how to separate quotes (operator error-me!) so I'll just say LOL for the first part and DITTO on the second. PS: Phuket WILL be 'back' front and center in our Feb magazine. (it won't be quiet if we have any say in things - hopefully even better than before... if properly managed) :o

Edited by bahtandsold

I arrived back to Phuket yesterday from a Christmas and New Year holiday in Samui, the hotel we stopped at was going to close for 4 months in february due to low occupancy and needed renovation work, now that hotel is fully booked as tour agents move away from Phuket.

As you can imagine most of the other guests were shocked as news of the tsunami unfolded on boxing day, many choices of Samui as a holiday destination were simply because their first choice of Phuket was fully booked.

Although plenty forewarned I was shocked to see the damage to Kamala as I drove to my home in Kalim - I was also shocked to see the damage in Kalim! I was lucky to be on the 3rd floor, for the first was completely wiped out, as were the nearby restaurant, shops and the laundry (bye-bye underwear).

As I drove to work along beach road this morning I have to say how beautiful the beach side looked and how organised the damaged side looked. Worst hit - to the drivers eye - would be south of Bangla where there was nothing to stop the wave coming in, from Macdonald's through to the Amari it all looked pretty sad.

Driving to Chalong you would have no idea of any tragedy, likely if I was staying in my old place in Rawai instead of holidaying in Samui, I would have had to equaly rely on a phonecall from wolfie to alert me.

Same same but different? Nothing has changed, everything has changed.

I guess I'm lucky in that I have not lost any immediate family or friends but the toll of aquantences and friends of friends and their accompanying gruesome stories is staggering and my heart goes out to them all.

And this is only Phuket.

The beach in Patong has never looked more beautiful in my years here, but I felt like a 'rubber-necker' just looking at it.

Hi guys,

drove into patong today and they are working on the kalim school!!!!Seems like the community is getting behind the rebuild with out assitence.

So nice to see the speed that the locals are getting things done. Now if only they can start on the Kamala school and wat as well.

No Wat in Kamala for us to send our prayers out.

The gazette puts this out today;

Together with Labor Ministry Civil Service Inspector Nakorn Silpa-archa and Phuket Vice Governor Winai Buapradit, K. Uraiwan handed over checks in the following amounts:

Government hospitals: Wachira Phuket Hospital: 16 million baht; Patong Hospital: 5 million baht; Thalang Hospital: 3 million baht;

Private hospitals: Mission Hospital: 1.5 million baht; Bangkok Phuket Hospital: 800,000 baht; Phuket International Hospital: 60,000 baht

K. Uraiwan said that a Labor Department survey of the island had indicated that Kamala and Patong were the two areas most badly affected, with combined damage to 1,500 workplaces, affecting 13,000 em ployees.

She added that the Phuket Provincial Social Insurance Office has already paid out 482,500 baht for the cremation ceremonies of 24 victims, and that the office expects to pay out a total of over 5.8 million baht in compensation claims, both to the injured and families of the deceased

Nothing for the surviors. I am disappointed

and this:

Call for donations to rebuild schools

PHUKET: Those interested in making donations for rebuilding Baan Kamala and Baan Kalim schools, both of which were badly damaged in the tsunami, can do so using the bank account information below.

All proceeds will go toward reconstruction and providing scholarships to students who lost their parents in the tsunami.

The first account, the Phuket Educational Area Relief Fund, will be administered by officials from the local branch of the Education Ministry, which will allocate the funds:

Bank: Krung Thai Bank; Branch: Phuket; Account name: Phuket Educational Area Relief Fund; Account number: 805-002293-5; Swift Code: KTDTHTB

Donors to this account are asked to contact K. Premjit via email to [email protected] or Fax to +66 76 214066 or 214553, or by calling Tel: +66 76 211591 (ext 30), after transfering funds into the account.

The second account will be administered directly by the teachers at Baan Kamala School. The account details are:

Bank: Krung Thai Bank; Branch: Patong; Account name: Kamala School Donations; Account number: 837-0-00808-9; Swift code: KTDTHTB

Baan Kamala School is now closed for reconstruction but is tentatively scheduled to reopen on January 10.

kamala school is not there. I would day with everyoine chipping in maybe by the middle of Feb.

Although I fear I have joined the thread a little late ....

I have been boring my friends with my mails about how inaccurate the reporting of this tragic event, at least as far as Phuket is concerned, has been for days.

The news channels have a responsibility to ensure that their version of the news is correct. One wonders whether they remember this at all or is it that it is lower than ratings in their 'rulebook'.

Of course, some people may not wish to holiday in a place that has so recently seen so many deaths (262 remains many deaths) but at least the choice should be based on the real story.

For my part I will not go back to phuket ! I have been disappointed with it two times , the exorbitant price asking for a short ride / food and accommodation .

Phuket I considered is good for European traveler, I live in Bangkok and not a lot of my friends will want to go there before for the same raison.

Do not get me wrong please, I did give a good sum of money for the disaster.

But perhaps as the milk cow have disappear, the mentality slowly will change..and I will visit .

That's interesting. On a more positive note, I don't think a majority of Americans had even heard of Phuket before the tsunami.  It's possible that, ironically, the exposure could be good for tourism in the long run from American tourists despite fears of future tsunamis.

hahaha!

cool!

it is not first time I find evidence of ignorance of average if not majority people in the leading nation in the world!

I recall the events in Kosovo - what, almost 10 years ago? - when reporters (it was BBC or CNN program) were interviewing americans somewhere on Miami beach regarding what is their opinion about this whole affair with Yougoslavia.... most of them honeslty and sincerely said: we don't even know, where is this Kosovo, not even speak about - why it concerns our National interests ! and then I'd undertood - why they start every report with showing the Global map, then map of Europe and the location of tiny Kosovo province somewhere in the East Europe - and it took few minutes to explain where is it and what is it in each and every report, that I thought: why bother to explain, wasting valuable on-air TV time? then only after those honest confessions I've understood the resaon ! hillarious!

and I have personal experience: many people corresponding with me on e-mail or chating with me on-line, don't even know what is Thailand - what to say Phuket ! they somehow always confuse it with Taiwan - yeah, well it DOES sound similar if not the same for English speaking people. but trivial / basic geographic education won't hurt I think ! at least to know that Thailand isn't the capital of Taiwan, but Taipei, and neither is vice-versa. and that Thailand is actually recognised officially as leading conutry in tourism in whole Asia, if not in the whole world. not to mention other good things worthy enough to motivate someone to find out more about it - at least its geographical location....

very cool indeed!

P.S. I wonder: what percent of americans knew/ know about the location of , say Iraq or Afganistan, when their mighty and righteous government unleashed "holy war of liberation" there ?

Edited by aaaaaa

To quote the mooog...."A lot of people just don't fancy going to a place where something so tragic has recently happened. No amount of blurb, spin - ...or even facts will change their view if it is heartfelt."

This is so very true........I work in tourism in Thailand and have spoken directly to may tourists who have changed their itineraries. To quote them almost universally...." I just dont feel right going to a place where such tragedy has struck......this is my holiday and I want to relax......blah blah.....I know it sounds harsh but thi sis just my pseronal feeling"

Different strokes for different folks......other tourists continued with their plans and went down to Phuket to get involved in the relief ro clean up.....!

Nothing.......only time......will change these feelings !

It's also easy to understand how a family might perceive the whole situation based on this example report from the Irish Press. To read something so shocking, so horrific....that the entire family barely escaped with their lives on Phuket,... it's easy to see how they would never set foot anywhere near that place. That would include all the readers of the article, and no doubt every associate of the involved family. I don't see that that sort of thinking would change easily or quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miracle escape for Irish family in Thailand

The Delaney family, from Rathmines, Dublin, were enjoying a relaxing Christmas holiday in Patong, the beach resort on Phuket Island, writes Ferdia O'Dowd in Thailand.

As Michael, Mary and their four children, Rachel, Michelle, Marie and Jonathan, sat down to breakfast at their beach-front hotel, Michael noticed a strong swirling in the water. “It was like a cauldron, much like you see from the HSS high speed ferry,” he said.

A portable jetty, used by people coming from cruise ships, was swept from its moorings. Suddenly, the water poured across the road to their hotel and was pulling at their feet.

“We get up to run, but, before we can get out of the room, a second and much stronger wave pins us against the pillars. We are then swept away by a third, much more violent wave,” he said from his bed in Phuket International Hospital where he is recovering. The family were flung about by the strong current, sometimes below and sometimes above water, until they ended up on empty ground behind the hotel, all in different places. Jonathan, Michael's 13-year old son, was separated from the others. He tried to climb up railings to the first floor but slipped back and was pinned against a window by a sun bed from the beach.

The window gave way and he was flung into a bedroom which quickly filled with water. He had to dive down to escape and, on coming to the surface, was helped onto a balcony and then into the hotel.

Eventually, all the family reached the upper floors of the hotel where they had to wait for almost two hours before moving to higher ground.

They were taken to hospital about three hours later.

There was no organised rescue, they said. Hotel staff and residents who were not injured helped others.

The Delaney family's trip to hospital was first in a public, open-sided bus with many other victims and then in the back of a pick-up truck.

Only Michael, who had deep cuts and required treatment for a badly infected wound, remained in hospital this weekend.

That's interesting. On a more positive note, I don't think a majority of Americans had even heard of Phuket before the tsunami.  It's possible that, ironically, the exposure could be good for tourism in the long run from American tourists despite fears of future tsunamis.

hahaha!

cool!

it is not first time I find evidence of ignorance of average if not majority people in the leading nation in the world!

I recall the events in Kosovo - what, almost 10 years ago? - when reporters (it was BBC or CNN program) were interviewing americans somewhere on Miami beach regarding what is their opinion about this whole affair with Yougoslavia.... most of them honeslty and sincerely said: we don't even know, where is this Kosovo, not even speak about - why it concerns our National interests ! and then I'd undertood - why they start every report with showing the Global map, then map of Europe and the location of tiny Kosovo province somewhere in the East Europe - and it took few minutes to explain where is it and what is it in each and every report, that I thought: why bother to explain, wasting valuable on-air TV time? then only after those honest confessions I've understood the resaon ! hillarious!

and I have personal experience: many people corresponding with me on e-mail or chating with me on-line, don't even know what is Thailand - what to say Phuket ! they somehow always confuse it with Taiwan - yeah, well it DOES sound similar if not the same for English speaking people. but trivial / basic geographic education won't hurt I think ! at least to know that Thailand isn't the capital of Taiwan, but Taipei, and neither is vice-versa. and that Thailand is actually recognised officially as leading conutry in tourism in whole Asia, if not in the whole world. not to mention other good things worthy enough to motivate someone to find out more about it - at least its geographical location....

very cool indeed!

P.S. I wonder: what percent of americans knew/ know about the location of , say Iraq or Afganistan, when their mighty and righteous government unleashed "holy war of liberation" there ?

Ignoring the political rhetoric portion of your diatribe....

for what's it worth, I've explained on many occasions to many Thais in Thailand about the geography of their country, Thailand.

Geography, be it world or local, is a subject with international ignorance.

Edited by sriracha john

thanks for this clarifying postage, George!

perhaps Phuket.com or any other "first-hand" sourse should also answer other biased reports about "hidden mass graves", "covered-up real victims numbers" and of those 3000 thais victims camp which doesn't get any relief help...

all these matteres raised in quite a few other threads in this Forum. and whatever other biases - may be can be answered here.... or may be some special pinned thread should be made to answer all such rumours etc. it is at least fair if not what Thai people deserve !

sad to see that endeavours of Thai people are discredited by global media simply because some mighyt powers play their "bidding war" !

Edited by aaaaaa

Ignoring the political rhetoric portion of your diatribe....

for what's it worth, I've explained on many occasions to many Thais in Thailand about the geography of their country, Thailand.

Geography, be it world or local, is a subject with international ignorance.

nice!

you are right of course - ignorance is ignorance any-/ and everywhere - it has no nationality or citezenship or limited by borders and visas. although I bet at least most Thais know WHAT is USA - if not where it is - while not all americans know WHAT is Thailand. and those THais who don't know it's location on the map - most probably illiterate.

but then again - it is pointless to argue who knows what and how much, right? if we speaking about ignorance in general; and also - everything is relative , especially where opinions are concerned...

regarding ignoring political portion - thanks, coz it was only about geographics and ignorance , realy ...

The 3,000 plus survivors are at the camp outside Tahku Pa 20 kms north of Khao lak,

I also visted another camp in Khao lak that has over 1,000 people living in tents

They are getting aid just not getting enough or from the Thai goverment in bangkok. I was just there today and spoke with a few thai's in charge.

Local goverment is doing what they can but there are so many people.

Mass graves??? doubt it,

real numbers. Ok the total dead stands at about 5,200 with still over 3,000 missing. You can assume that the missing are dead and will not be found. How many washed out to sea or are buried under torn down buildings?

Tomorrow, Dec 8th is Children's day in Thailand. Say a prayer for the many that lost their familes and are now in need of help.

The idea is good, but unfortunately, I suppose about 80% of the Europeans know Phuket and TV Stations all over Europe, especially in the German speaking parts, RTL, NBC etc., try everything to keep tourists off of Thailand: Horror stories, films of "unscrupulous" tourist who still spend their holidays in totally destructed and suffering Phuket, and the worst still to come: They are drinking their Beer at the beaches sitting together with Thai girls!!! They must be inconsiderate shameless criminals!

""unscrupulous" tourist who still spend their holidays in totally destructed and suffering Phuket, and the worst still to come: They are drinking their Beer at the beaches sitting together with Thai girls!!! They must be inconsiderate shameless criminals!"

What are you?

Why belittle people wanting to have a vaction? Your post shows you have no idea of the situation here. Phuket is not descrtucted and although it is hurting a bit it is by no means suffering as is Kaho Lak, Sumatra, Sri lanka.

They are helping out by not alloqwing the thias to lose everything. if the toursist do not come Phuket along with thousnads of people that make their living off of them will surely suffer in the end.

Phuket protests biased reporting in global media

BANGKOK: -- Unbalanced reports, many chasing sensational stories, are impeding the revival of the Thai resort of Phuket after the devastating tsunamis, a local magazine protested Wednesday.

"The news broadcast by global satellite TV and news organisations in the past week have given the impression that Phuket has been wiped out by the tsunami and now lies in ruins," said an e-mail sent by the management of "Phuket" magazine to around 50 journalists based in Thailand.

The devastating tsunamis hit six southwestern provinces in Thailand Dec 26, with the two high-end resort islands of Phi Phi in Phuket province and Khao Lak in the neighbouring Phangnga province being the worst affected, reports Xinhua.

In Phangnga alone, the authorities have discovered 4,134 bodies, while only 262 deaths were confirmed in Phuket.

However, since the first day of disaster, the better-known Phuket started serving as a coordination centre for disaster-relief efforts and media reports due to its better facilities and accommodation ability.

Phuket's exposure in world media has led to a misunderstanding of its reality after the disaster, which will only further hurt the island, according to the magazine.

Although most of the island's facilities remain intact, local tourist agencies have had to deal with unprecedented cancellations after the disaster, the magazine said.

"There is no shortage of drinking water, food or serious threat of disease," said the e-mail.

"Life in Phuket is surprisingly normal - if saddened by the deaths," the writer of the e-mail said asking recipients to forward the message to more foreigners.

Thailand's Interior Minister Phokin Palakul Sunday held a press conference on the Patong Beach of Phuket, declaring the area open for tourists.

--Indo-Asian News Service 2005-01-05

Yeah this is incredible. The Danish Foreign Department is still warning Danish people NOT to travel to Phuket......and you know they even have their own staff including the DK Embassador-to much Mekhong??? As the Swedish government is critizied so is the Danish to slow in reaction and very bad informed.......As a member of a Thai family I'm proud to see how the thai's work on reestablish the resorts, how they work together and unite. This is something we in the western world could learn a lot from. My heart and thoughts goes to the people who suffer fron this terrible disaster. Wish you all a Happy 2005.

You are right there,I'm a Dane as well, but after several mails we won, the foreign ministry dropped the stupid warning, stopping people from traveling to Phuket, and now we are coming.

try have a look at this website www.helpphuket.dk

The site shows that many people supports Phuket.

Did anybody see the BBC World program "Fast Track" yesterday at 11:50 pm. they had a spokesman from "lonelyplanet" talking about all the places in the world that were affected by the tsunami. When he got around to Thailand, he mentioned Phuket and he said of Patong (please excuse my memory, but you'll get the gist of it): " most of the 3, 4 and 5 star hotels on the beach are destroyed and if you walk away from the beach..." he screwed up his nose and twisted his mouth at this point - as if someone had just farted in his face "... it gets a bit sleazy, go-go bars and things like that".

That is what I remember him saying. If I had been in the studio I would have given him a good slap. What a prick!

Sorry about the language, but he made me ***ing angry. In fact, I'm going to email BBC World right now.