Boom! Australian Spouse Visa Logged

Has anyone lodged a spouse visa application lately? We did it via the GDA courier's desk in Chiang Mai, which is a joint-venture with VFS. This was my second attempt. The first time she refused to accept it because we didn't have the medical and police checks started at that point. I noted that the actual Immigration website says that you'll be contacted if required, but there you go. The Australian Embassy website said that it was required, so we dilligently completed both.

Today she almost didn't accept it because we had the bank draft made out to "VFS (Thailand) Ltd" rather than "VFS (Thailand) Ltd." I had to call VFS in Bangkok and get them to tell them that it was fine to accept it without the "." on the end.

So yes. Can anyone tell us anything about the interview, and how long it took for your spouse visa to be approved? We have a son together, who's an Australian citizen, don't know if this makes it any faster.

Has anyone lodged a spouse visa application lately? We did it via the GDA courier's desk in Chiang Mai, which is a joint-venture with VFS. This was my second attempt. The first time she refused to accept it because we didn't have the medical and police checks started at that point. I noted that the actual Immigration website says that you'll be contacted if required, but there you go. The Australian Embassy website said that it was required, so we dilligently completed both.

Today she almost didn't accept it because we had the bank draft made out to "VFS (Thailand) Ltd" rather than "VFS (Thailand) Ltd." I had to call VFS in Bangkok and get them to tell them that it was fine to accept it without the "." on the end.

So yes. Can anyone tell us anything about the interview, and how long it took for your spouse visa to be approved? We have a son together, who's an Australian citizen, don't know if this makes it any faster.

Sorry,i don't understand the difference? Was it just a typo error with the bank draft?I guess they were just covering all their bases,but seems so petty!The son,i am guessing is Australian because the father(You) is an Australian citizen?If you have covered all your bases,then it should be fairly quick,i would imagine your wife will be called up for an interview in a week or two(Maybe sooner) and from there it should be within three months(Mine was fast,but it's a different story).

About 2 weeks for an interview.....depending on your application anywhere from 2 months to 4 months.

They will ask your partner questions in regards to your statements about your relationship and from the application. They may ask questions about who is who in any photos you have submitted.

Sorry,i don't understand the difference? Was it just a typo error with the bank draft?I guess they were just covering all their bases,but seems so petty!The son,i am guessing is Australian because the father(You) is an Australian citizen?If you have covered all your bases,then it should be fairly quick,i would imagine your wife will be called up for an interview in a week or two(Maybe sooner) and from there it should be within three months(Mine was fast,but it's a different story).

Not even a typo - just the "." character on the end. You're not wrong about it being petty!

Yeah our son has citizenship by descent from me, as an Australian citizen. I didn't realize the interview was so early in the process! Thanks.

About 2 weeks for an interview.....depending on your application anywhere from 2 months to 4 months.

They will ask your partner questions in regards to your statements about your relationship and from the application. They may ask questions about who is who in any photos you have submitted.

Thanks. Do they interview us together? Or seperately? Or just her and ignore me?

Chucker,

What an ordeal. As you rightly pointed out, the police and medical checks are not required to make a valid spouse visa application.

With regards to the "." on the bank draft, that is not petty, it is just downright absurd. Obviosuly that person is performing a role not suited to their abilities.

Regards

bridge

We had to get another bank draft after VFS refused to accept the first one without the dot ("."). She said that the bank will not accept it unless it is exactly as their business is registered. We had to go and have another one made out. Hope it all works out for you.

Below is an email that I forwarded to VFS, and their subsequent reply. VFS has acknowledged that they will accept bank drafts that do not include the ".". If anyone is having any difficulty in the future with VFS, I suggest that they attempt to communicate with someone else at VFS who is able to exercise a bit of discretion and common sense rather than being inconvenienced by having to get a new cheque drafted.

Email sent to VFS:

Can you please advise whether VFS is refusing to accept bank drafts that fail to include the full stop at the end of the company name?

Example VFS (Thailand) Ltd as opposed to VFS (Thailand) Ltd.

If so, can you please explain why? It is my understanding that this has caused unnecessary and considerable inconvenience to many visa applicants.

Reply from VFS:

Dear Khun …Richard

Thank you for contacting VFS Australia Visa Helpdesk.

With regard to your query, we will accept if you have bought the draft that fail to include full stop at the end,but it should be VFS (Thailand) Ltd., we need to make one standard to avoid any confusion or mistake between applicant and the collection point.

We hope the above information has been of help to you.

If you have further questions or need further clarification please do not hesitate to let us know. Our contact details are as given below.

Thanks & Regards

Regards

bridge

Bank cheques should be made out to the "Australian Embassy Bangkok" and the amount in THB. VFS is a courier service and one pays a service charge plus VAT to them only as a seperate amount.

Worth mentioning to anyone else reading this thread, VFS will only accept "Bank Drafts" not "Bank Cheques", both for them and the embassy. I had to change them to drafts before they'd be accepted.

When applying for citizenship of my son, however, which I did in person at the embassy, they accepted a bank cheque. ymmv.

Below is an email that I forwarded to VFS, and their subsequent reply. VFS has acknowledged that they will accept bank drafts that do not include the ".". If anyone is having any difficulty in the future with VFS, I suggest that they attempt to communicate with someone else at VFS who is able to exercise a bit of discretion and common sense rather than being inconvenienced by having to get a new cheque drafted.

Email sent to VFS:

Can you please advise whether VFS is refusing to accept bank drafts that fail to include the full stop at the end of the company name?

Example VFS (Thailand) Ltd as opposed to VFS (Thailand) Ltd.

If so, can you please explain why? It is my understanding that this has caused unnecessary and considerable inconvenience to many visa applicants.

Reply from VFS:

Dear Khun …Richard

Thank you for contacting VFS Australia Visa Helpdesk.

With regard to your query, we will accept if you have bought the draft that fail to include full stop at the end,but it should be VFS (Thailand) Ltd., we need to make one standard to avoid any confusion or mistake between applicant and the collection point.

We hope the above information has been of help to you.

If you have further questions or need further clarification please do not hesitate to let us know. Our contact details are as given below.

Thanks & Regards

Regards

bridge

What a load of TRASH. I have never heard of so much rubbish in all my time. This is a perfect example of someone trying to flex their little muscles. These people working a VFS need to take a long hard look at themselves. :o

Personally, I would not be concerned at all with any dealings/interviews with the Consular section at the OZ embassy in BKK as, in my experience with them over the past 12 years, its always been a very well run place staffed by people who actually seem to care and they have always been extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly if you visit in person.

Finally, I would also mention the payment issue to them directly when you're there as I'm sure they will sort it out as it really is nonsense.

They don't always do an interview, I know of 2 recent spouse applications that were processed without Interview, in both a telephone call was made to the Thai applicant, a few questions asked and that was that.

The VFS woman gave us back our passports and said that we should take them to bangkok when we go for the interview. So I guess a telephone interview is out of the question in this case. Annoying.

They don't always do an interview, I know of 2 recent spouse applications that were processed without Interview, in both a telephone call was made to the Thai applicant, a few questions asked and that was that.

The sub class 309/100 visa is a two stage process, the applicant will have an interview with DIAC for the first stage 309 where they will be required to sight original documents.

The 309 visa is for 2 years only and is a temporary visa, the second stage 100 may not require an interview all they require is proof you are still in a married/defacto relationship. The subclass 100 visa is the permanent visa for the applicant. The second stage may be applied for in Bangkok or at a DIAC office in Australia.

This may explain why some applicants for a spouse visa 100 do not have a second interview.

Formal interviews with DIAC at the Australian Embassy are carried out in a separate interview room by the DIAC officer who is Thai. They will have the complete file in front of them and questions will be asked on the information supplied. The interview itself is what may be called informal. Generally an interview takes about 30 mins on average. The interviewer will take notes on the applicants replies. It is up to the interviewer whether the sponsor can sit in at the interview. All information supplied is subject to Australian privacy laws and is confidential.

Formal interviews with DIAC at the Australian Embassy are carried out in a separate interview room by the DIAC officer who is Thai. They will have the complete file in front of them and questions will be asked on the information supplied. The interview itself is what may be called informal. Generally an interview takes about 30 mins on average. The interviewer will take notes on the applicants replies. It is up to the interviewer whether the sponsor can sit in at the interview. All information supplied is subject to Australian privacy laws and is confidential.

Thanks david96 for the info.

We are in India so I'm unsure how this relates to you, but we complied with all the requirements, and more so as we had emails going back 5 years, photos and were actually married in Australia before we applied. The application took about 2 months and went straight thru except that my wife had studied 8 years ago in the UK. The Visa people wanted a UK police clearance from the UK - and this created a delay while we organised it - doubly difficult from India because its hard to get money out. That done, the Spouse Visa duly arrived a few weeks later.

Personally, I would not be concerned at all with any dealings/interviews with the Consular section at the OZ embassy in BKK as, in my experience with them over the past 12 years, its always been a very well run place staffed by people who actually seem to care and they have always been extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly if you visit in person.

Finally, I would also mention the payment issue to them directly when you're there as I'm sure they will sort it out as it really is nonsense.

Yes but the OP is talking about visas and Consular Section don't issue visas, the Immigration Section do.

• 4 months later...

They will interview the applicant only.

From the date my wife lodged her application to the interview was about 2 weeks.

About 10 days after the interview she got a call to pick up her visa from the embassy.

All up it was a very straightforward process.

The only difficult part I found was putting the application together, that took about 3 months.