Oa Renewal And Bank Account

Sorry guys, have been searching for the info with no luck, have just transferred my 800,000 Baht which is now safely in my Bangkok Bank account for its 90 seasoning, both the wife and I have OA visa's but on this our first renewal the money is in a joint bank account, I intend to make my wife my Dependant but should my money be in an account in just my name or will the joint account be quite acceptable, if just my name then I can easily have it transferred with plenty of time to spare for renewal at end of May. Thanks guys.

800k in your name alone or 1,600k in a joint account.

--

Maestro

Thanks Maestro, but I'm now confused, I have been led to believe that by my making my wife my dependent we only needed one 800,000 Baht deposit for the two of us, is this in fact not true?.

If this is the case then I presume that the deposit will have to be in my name alone rather than a joint account? but thanks again.

Only in your account as you will be applying for the extension based on retirement. Your Wife is applying as your dependant and does not need to show any financial evidence.

The money only has to be in the bank for 60 days for the first application.

These are the rules for extensions.

2.22(4) Is for you.

2.20(3) Is for your Wife.

I have been led to believe that by my making my wife my dependent we only needed one 800,000 Baht deposit for the two of us, is this in fact not true?.

Some Immigration offices used to allow joint accounts for married folks, without doubling the required amount for getting an extension. This was, of course, quite logical in the understood context that 800k sufficed for either one retiree -- or one retiree and his spouse. Lately, however, it appears they're being less lenient in this regard -- although, as always with Immigration, there are probably still exceptions.

I guess the Western concept that a joint account has 'right of survivorship' connotations, thus cutting through the legal crap upon death of one spouse, doesn't quite resonate over here. Maybe because, if the spouse to go first was Thai, all the brothers and sisters would be cut off from sharing in the pile......

However, per the above, the dots don't quite connect if both spouses have four round eyes. But, not many dots connect when it comes to Immigration, logic, and consistency. That's part of the fun of living here.....sometimes.