Something Very Weird Happening With Internet...

davejonesbkk

I've had some problems with my net starting on Sat night, I live in a serviced apartment where I pay 900 baht for a 2mb (hohoho) wifi connection. On Sat night it started playing up a lot (had been very slow last few days also) I would connect via the company's login page (I have a card with username/password) the webpages would then load VERY slowly, I would browse some pages for say 2 minutes and then every page I clicked it would show this message:

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error:

Below is the orriginal error message-

Error 2(net:: ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

So I left it for a while and thought it would be ok by Monday. It wasn't. I was on the phone 4 times to the company yesterday, they kept saying there was a problem with the acces point and I should wait. I hadn't changed any of the settings in properties, everything on auto ip/dns etc just like before.

Today I am still having the same problem, so I have changed location and I am now at ABAC uni Hua Mak (Ramkamhaeng soi 24) campus and I am having the same problem with their wireless connection (using my laptop).

I am now on one of the uni computers in the computer room and this com has a LAN connection and there doesn't seem to be a problem (same properties though, ip/dns on auto).

What the heck is going on??? Could this be caused by a virus on my laptop???

Edited by davejonesbkk

Here's some more info if it helps someone diagnose my problem:

I seem to be able to get a connection to Gtalk chat program but not websites or msn chat or send/receive emails.

I am using Windows XP and Google Chrome browser (but same prob with IE and FF)

I have been getting a few weird error messages and virus alert messages from my virus scan program (AVG) but each time have healed the said virus.

Edited by davejonesbkk

Virus on your laptop? Well you should run an update or your virus scanner software then scan for any infection.

> ....saying there was a problem with the acces point and I should wait.

Best thing any helpdesk that wants rid of your support call will say, the subtext is keep up the payments but otherwise don't bother us.

Am I to understand that you are encountering problems at two different WiFi locations that are not otherwise related? Company A is not related to company B?

If the only common factor is your laptop, what diagnostics can it run on the wireless connection, can you try a less busy location or a different time of day? My first thought was if the connection is open or free use then it might just be over loaded with freeloaders.

Is your laptop trying to run many application updates when the internet connection becomes availible? Turn off all the auto updates and see if that improves the response.

Have you tried using Open DNS settings, if the ISP has problems with their DNS, heavy traffic might bring the thing to a halt - you stand a better chance with your own DNS lookups. There are threads on Open DNS in this forum.

Cuban - I was initially using the wifi at home (apartment) its generally crap there bu at least usable. It is supplied by a company called Smartzone but I think they use True ISP. I have now moved to ABAC university campus (down the road from where I live), dont know who supplies there internet but I have the exact same problem with my laptop (note: I use my laptop a lot here with no problems).

Cant think of many app updates that it runs, just a quick update for AVG virus scan but been using that for years with no probs before. I havent made any changes at all.

AVG scans my laptop on each startup and hasnt found any probs, just scanned with Ad Aware too found a few tracking files (which is normal) and removed them.

Tried Open Dns already, no effect....

:o

From what you have reported I trust it is a ISP or Router/hub related issue if you face that problem with all browsers. Call your ISP

Yeah, actually when I was leaving my apartment I complained to the manager about Smartzone (they are new and only started supplying the wifi there this month) and she said they were already planning on changing from True to TOT, what's baffled me is how Im still geting these problems at another location....

Could you post the output of "ipconfig/all" here?

While you're at it, post the output of "tracert www.google.com".

Is the DNS Client service running?

You could give "ipconfig/flushdns" a try, but since you've been moving around that probably won't fix it.

Edited by surface

I'll try that later and post the results. I am now pretty sure its a virus though, and I think it may have come from my usb card thats been all over the place......anyway I am getting an error message popping up every minute now 'windows-no disk' and then something about parameters and lots of numbers after.

So far I have tried the following with no effect:

AGV virus scan (fully updated) - Nothing found (on the computer) but then I scanned the usb, 30 infections found it could only heal 2 and couldnt do anything with the rest. I then had to manually move around 24 (thats all it let me do) to the vault. So there are still 4 there I think....

Ad Aware 2007 - Found some tracking files, all removed

Spybot search and destroy (latest version) - Found some trojans and malware, 26 in total, all removed

Tried opendns both at home and here, no effect

Actually I did ipconfig/all earlier and nothing seemed amiss...

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error:

Below is the orriginal error message-

Error 2(net:: ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

I've just got this message up trying to access different forums on TV. Never seen it before today. (edge card, AIS, chrome)

Regards.

Situation update:

Ok so I almost 100% sure it's some horrible virus. 2 days a go a friend took a look at it and found lots of nasty stuff which we removed, I am still experiencing the same net problems at home but everyone in the building is as apparently the company is changing the isp from True to TOT.

So Im back using wifi on campus and having exact same problem so the only option now seems to be a complete format and reinstall of windows on my laptop, this is what I plan to do:

Email my most important files to myself (gmail)

Backup these files again by transferring them on a brand new usb disk to my old desktop

Format and reinstall windows on the laptop

Installing the latest virus programs and firewalls

Re-connect to the internet

Download my most important files from Gmail (Gmail should have cleaned them I am led to believe)

Scan/clean the rest of my files (mainly pics and music) from my desktop and move them back to the laptop

Anything important I may have missed?

Edited by davejonesbkk

Note: What virus programs do you guys recommend? Are free ones good enough or should I spash out on a copy of Norton? I mean an official copy too so I can stay updated.....
Well I had all of those virus programs in the past and I guess Norton is the worst one. Since

I switched to AVG like you have, I never ever had any virus again I recommend stick to AVG. And by the way if you have AVG you can update every day with no cost. Anybody prove me wrong?

Note: What virus programs do you guys recommend? Are free ones good enough or should I spash out on a copy of Norton? I mean an official copy too so I can stay updated.....
Well I had all of those virus programs in the past and I guess Norton is the worst one. Since

I switched to AVG like you have, I never ever had any virus again I recommend stick to AVG. And by the way if you have AVG you can update every day with no cost. Anybody prove me wrong?

COMODO does the same as AVG - http://antivirus.comodo.com/

You must decide which runs best on your system. I agree with OP. Avoid Norton!!!