How To Secure A Small Network

marcus

Hi all,

I have a small network, 3 private computers and one shared. All PC's run on XP professional, they are NOT members of the same domain and simple file sharing is disabled. I run Cisco's Network Magic Pro software as server soft on the private PC's.

The problem is that it is still possible to see the shared content on the private computers, simply by typing \\name_of_the_computer. Any idea how to solve this ?

Sorry, isn't that the idea of sharing??

Turn off the shares on each computer.

Then there is no need for a network :o I just want to have access to my files, but of course on the condition that a complete stranger on the public PC can not see my secrets.

Networks and sharing are two different matters.

Members of a network can share resources, like printers and internet access.

Whether you can see and access the files on the private computers is down to settings

on each computer.

You may be able to see the file names, but can you see the contents of the files?

Is each private computer running a firewall, like ZoneAlarm?

This also gives you control over what outsiders can see.

Networks and sharing are two different matters.

Members of a network can share resources, like printers and internet access.

Whether you can see and access the files on the private computers is down to settings

on each computer.

You may be able to see the file names, but can you see the contents of the files?

Is each private computer running a firewall, like ZoneAlarm?

This also gives you control over what outsiders can see.

I think I found the sollution :o

There was no problem when I used Windows Networking the normal way (through network places). However, when I typed the path to another computer/file in the browser, everyone could have access to my files, even from a computer which was not in the workgroup.

The solution seems to be : go to properties of the shared folder-->sharing--->permissions, and remove the user "everyone" from the list.