Business cashes in on Suu Kyi's name

george

BANGKOK: Aung San Suu Kyi's fight for democracy in Burma has so impressed a former local politician that he has named his noodle and wanton business Suu Kyi Noodles and Wantons.

Suthorn Petchlern said he had been an admirer of Suu Kyi's for years and had followed her fight against Burma's military junta.

"I myself fought in local politics in Samut Prakan. Aung San Suu Kyi fights for democracy in her country. That's why I decided to use her name for my noodle business," he said.

His two-year-old daughter is also called Aung San.

Suthorn was formerly a municipal council member in Samut Prakan. He has also run furniture and electrical appliance businesses as well as a boxing camp.

Suu Kyi Noodles and Wantons has been in business for about four months and has received a warm welcome from many of its customers.

There are about 50 Suu Kyi Noodles and Wantons vending carts throughout Bangkok.

"Some of my customers who know Suu Kyi told me they thought the noodles were from Burma. They said the taste of the noodle soup is spicy like Burmese politics," Sunthorn said.

He added that "Suu Kyi" rhymes with "ba-mee kiew" (noodles and wantons).

He said using Suu Kyi's name was good marketing and attracted customers. He added that he had also sold franchise rights to other people who wanted to use the name.

A franchise costs about Bt30,000 and includes all the necessary equipment - the cart, pots, dishes and soup.

The noodles are home-made and sold to franchisees on a daily basis, Sunthorn said.

He said he had sold some of the franchises for Bt5,000 because he wanted to help people who were poor. He added that he was owed a combined Bt1 million from his franchisees.

Sunthorn said he had heard from news reports that Suu Kyi had been imprisoned by the junta in May and that she was on a hunger strike.

"I hope that the Burmese government frees Aung San Suu Kyi as soon as possible because her detention is illegal," he said.

"Her release would be good for democracy in Burma. And I think it would be a good sign for my noodle business also," he added.

--The Nation 2003-09-06