Another Motorbike Question

luxecat

Hi all,

I've searched the threads about buying a motorbike in Samui but couldn't find all the answers. Basically, I want to know what the best prices are for a new and used Honda Click or Yamaha Mio. Or any other automatic. Suzuki? Kawasaki?

If I buy a good late model second hand who are the best dealers? I know there are some in Nathon. Also If I buy new from a dealer, can I pay with my Visa card? I know there will be a surcharge, but I'm fine with that. Any word on how reputable the Yamaha dealer is in Chaweng?

Coming in april and want to buy when I arrive.

Thanks for any info.

u need a thai person who signs the papers..

I have a thai person to sign the papers if needed. Thanks

No, you don't need a Thai to sign any papers, you can do it yourself.

I know the Honda dealers will let you use Visa, but only up to a certain ammount, then you have to pay the balance in cash.

I know the Honda dealers will let you use Visa, but only up to a certain ammount, then you have to pay the balance in cash.

I have just purchased a second hand Honda Click - over the road from Big C - just this week

Visit several time a year on tourist visa for one month at a time. Went to imigration to get document to register the green book in my name - 500 baht no problem

Hope this helps

But you can do a withdraw with VISA in almost any atm. Easy. And they are all over the place nowdays.

But you can do a withdraw with VISA in almost any atm. Easy. And they are all over the place nowdays.

True- just keep in mind that when you withdraw cash through a credit card the interest starts immediately (rather the end of the month when you get your statement) at up to 29%.

True- just keep in mind that when you withdraw cash through a credit card the interest starts immediately (rather the end of the month when you get your statement) at up to 29%.

Aha. I misunderstood the credit part. I use VISA connected to my savingsaccount. No credit. Allthough to be honest im not sure withdraw in atms is the smartest way when it comes to exchange rates. Actually i´m pretty sure of the opposite. But, at least VISA can be used here, if thats what op wanted to know. :o .

When it comes to motorbike purchase, do a check on the boards at lotus/big c when you come here. Plus, thaivisa classifieds sometimes have bikes for sale, wich you can check the week before you come. You will not have a problem doing a bargain on second hand bikes here now. I myself been trying to sell some bikes the last month and i´ve had to go really low on price to get rid of them. Some of them still not sold (but nothing that suits your requests otherwise i would send you a pm). Its the byers market without a doubt. If you are bying used bikes i would not go to a dealer. You get a much cheaper if you find one privat on the messageboards. For new one i would use the Honda dealer in nathon (always cheaper than bophut).

Good luck!

For new one i would use the Honda dealer in nathon (always cheaper than bophut).

That should be edited.

I ment the Honda dealer in Nathon is cheaper than the one i Maenam not Bophut (or at least a few times i got a better deal in nathon when i asked both of them for price on new bikes). The bophut dealer is Yamaha.

Last year both Honda dealers (Nathon and Mae nam) quoted me the same price for a new click. There is another bike shop on the ring road just after the junction to Fishermans village, they had lots or used clicks and mios etc in the back for sale and all the new ones at the front. Dont know the name of the place though.

Last year both Honda dealers (Nathon and Mae nam) quoted me the same price for a new click. There is another bike shop on the ring road just after the junction to Fishermans village, they had lots or used clicks and mios etc in the back for sale and all the new ones at the front. Dont know the name of the place though.

That is Yamaha. But on their second hand bikes they are quite expensive. They do financing so therefore they can charge alot on selling bikes to thais with no money, monthly payments. I done quite a few deals with them over the years, and in general they are good to deal with, but finding somebody who speaks proper English there is always a hassle. Would not reccomend it for second hand bikes to be honest, but thats me.

where are the prices? i often wonder how they can be rented at 150bt per day they must be cheap to buy.

The prices of what? You tell me what you want (modell and year) and i tell you what you will be able to get and for what price. I think i can do even better than that by pointing you in some real subject for sale. Honestly think i´m becoming an expert on this particular subject. Try me! :o .

Brand New Honda Wave 125, electric start, disc brakes front (and back if possible) what's the going rate? Not sure I would go second hand given the amount of rebuilt bikes i've heard about.

The honda wave comes in the following editions, (the way i understood it). The "s" modell has no discbrakes but electric start. The "R" modell has discbrakes but no electric start. I recently sold one of each model. Both of them were about 2 years old and between 1500 to 2000 km:s on them. The "s" model with the electric start gained more (unbeleiveble because it has less power and is more uncomfortable to ride, and a real biker dont enjoy the "drumbrake" on the front), but i think the thing is farangs need electric start. I got that oppinion from people looking on the bikes. I even had English people comming, saying "sorry, no electric start, thanks" !!!

Anyway, one or 2 years old wave with less than 2000 km:s on it, today at this island i would say, dont be shy to present the idea of 13000 baht. For a 125 cc bike. If it is a "s" model dont increase it further. If it is a "R" model, and you can bare wth the fact of a kickstart, or put electric start on it for a few thousand baht, you might go up to 15k. But at that price you most certanly get it. But not i the shops. You have to go private. Messageboards at tesco, bigc and macro, and dont forget to bargain. For some reason the "gearbikes" are not bringin any money either as rentals or sales nowadays. Seems all farangs want automatic bikes with electric start. The worst you can try to sell is a bike with gears and no electric start. Then you sell it to a thai because i dont think the farangs nowadays even get to start it, hahha.

Anyway, hope i helped you with the pricepicture, wich is quite accurate because i recently sold bikes of all models.

Good luck :o

That is Yamaha. But on their second hand bikes they are quite expensive. They do financing so therefore they can charge alot on selling bikes to thais with no money, monthly payments. I done quite a few deals with them over the years, and in general they are good to deal with, but finding somebody who speaks proper English there is always a hassle. Would not reccomend it for second hand bikes to be honest, but thats me.

Are you sure were on about the same place, it didnt have and big dealer signs anywhere, they sold new hondas and yamahas, the second hand stuff seemed pretty reasonable (clicks starting at 35k)

Are you sure were on about the same place, it didnt have and big dealer signs anywhere, they sold new hondas and yamahas, the second hand stuff seemed pretty reasonable (clicks starting at 35k)

The Yamaha dealer is on the left side right after the bophut lights. Coming from chaweng. They sell second hand bikes of all brands but only Yamaha brand new.

A Honda click is around 40k brand new in Bangkok. A year old on the private market you´ll get it under 30k nowadays. I´f you´re not in a hurry and can wait for a good deal to show up.

We probably are talking about different places. And i agree that if you are bying second hand bikes from dealers, go to a small one and not the brand shops. Unless you are Thai and need financing on the bike! :o

The Yamaha dealer is on the left side right after the bophut lights. Coming from chaweng. They sell second hand bikes of all brands but only Yamaha brand new.

A Honda click is around 40k brand new in Bangkok. A year old on the private market you´ll get it under 30k nowadays. I´f you´re not in a hurry and can wait for a good deal to show up.

We probably are talking about different places. And i agree that if you are bying second hand bikes from dealers, go to a small one and not the brand shops. Unless you are Thai and need financing on the bike! :o

If I decide to buy a brand new Yamaha mio from the dealer, I might just want to put a down payment and finance the rest. I am hoping my thai girlfriend could qualify for the loan. (And yes I know she will own the bike.) She will make the monthly payments. If she has a job, is it easy for her to get a loan? And if yes, how much do you think the financing will be?