Camping Near Bangkok

Norrad

Well I haven't been camping since I was a kid and the wife has never been, so I thougt we would try something different next weekend. We've bought all the equipment and supplies and now we are looking for promising spots to set up camp. That's where I need your help. I don't want to go too far from Bangkok, maybe a 2 or 3 hour drive. We are looking for somewhere with water, ocean, river or waterfalls are all OK (I'm leaning more towards the waterfall option).

Some have suggested Khao Yai national park. Can you camp there? What are the fees?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I would recommend Khao Yai. We just got back from a 4 day camping trip there. The entrance fee has been reduced temporarily to B200 for falangs and B20 for Thais. If you show them at the gate your Thai drivers lisc. or work permit you should be able to get in for B20. At least I did. I think their is also a minimal charge for the car. When you get to the camp area the charge is B30 per night per person. If you are over 60 it's free. There are two camping areas. I dont recall the names but we prefer the second one. When you get into the park stop by the visitors center, which you cant miss, and they will give you a map to the camp areas. Stop off at the first and check it out then the second one is only about a 10 min drive down the road, then decide which is best for you. If you intend to take food to cook then you can rent a small charcoal stove and grill at the camp site. They also rent tents, sleeping bags, pillows and blankets but you mentioned you alreday have the camping gear. You mentioned going over the weekend. I hope you dont mind crowds as the camp areas tend to be very crowded on the w/e. (We go during the week). So if their is any chance of going on Monday you should. At the camp areas their are showers/toilets and places to buy food/snacks. Lots of trails for hiking and waterfalls. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Spaniel. I will take my license and Tax ID card, maybe I will get the cheap rate. I'm going to take your advice about the crowds on the weekend and postpone until monday, the wife finishes her Uni studies next week friday, so the timing is perfect.

I dont recall the names but we prefer the second one

Pa Gluay Mai, is the furthest one from the HQ & closest to Namtok Heaw Suwat. A beautiful place to stay..

watch out for the macaques though !

if you go for a wander, don't leave anything in your tent.. they have become quite adept over the years at unzipping doors and/or ripping them open to get inside.. they will ransack it & you'll return to see your stuff strewn all over the site..

i always put everything (sleeping bags, the lot) in the car & leave the tent doors wide open for them to see inside when i'm out on the trails..

Well I haven't been camping since I was a kid and the wife has never been, so I thougt we would try something different next weekend. We've bought all the equipment and supplies and now we are looking for promising spots to set up camp. That's where I need your help. I don't want to go too far from Bangkok, maybe a 2 or 3 hour drive. We are looking for somewhere with water, ocean, river or waterfalls are all OK (I'm leaning more towards the waterfall option).

Some have suggested Khao Yai national park. Can you camp there? What are the fees?

As my wife says"Why you want sleep in tent?Why you want sleep on earth?Why you not like resort?"Lol,now thats what i like about Thai's,to the point!I love camping,think i might take the daughter,she would enjoy it also. :o That waterfall sounds like the perfect setting. :D

Hi Norrad,

Try Kanchanaburi Province lots to do and see around here. Now is not a good time of the year though, too dry and brown, but come when the rains have been, then it should be lush and green.

With two rivers and waterfalls only 2-3 hours from Bangkok and further up to the Burma/Myanmar border :o

My web-page is in me Profile have a look :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I hate camping...more than had my fill of it when I was a kid. But I have to admit that I saw a wonderful camping spot that appeared rather popular at Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park just south of Hua Hin. And there you have both mountains and seaside. In fact, the camping spot I saw (lots of tents there) was right between the mountains and seaside...a beautiful spot.

As my wife says"Why you want sleep in tent?Why you want sleep on earth?Why you not like resort?"Lol,now thats what i like about Thai's,to the point!I love camping,think i might take the daughter,she would enjoy it also. :o That waterfall sounds like the perfect setting. :D

I see a lot of this kind of attitude here. There's very few campgrounds and no camping vehicles seen on the road. In the US campgrounds are everywhere. At least stores are starting to carry camping gear, so maybe a new trend is coming.

Well I haven't been camping since I was a kid and the wife has never been, so I thougt we would try something different next weekend. <snip> river or waterfalls are all OK (I'm leaning more towards the waterfall option).

Can you camp there? What are the fees?

Huay Mae Khamin Waterfall

This place is in Kanchanaburi Province.

Go to Erawan Waterfall and just passed that there is a turn off to your left to Srinakharin Dam National Park.

large.jpg

Only 42 kms thereafter on a very rough no tarmac road you will reach it. This was my second time there, but went there on that rough road. Near on 2 hours on that road to go 42 kms. I would not advise this road during rainy season. Use the other route.

See below:-

The first time, I went the long way around on an easier way, on two ferries across the Srinakarin Reservoir. Great views there as well along that way. Go during the "Rainy Season" then the Waterfall should be as full as you have see in my photo.

Should you wish to go there, take a Thai with you that knows the area and way.

Took me 4 hours there, 1 click as you saw, 4 hours back with a whole group of people. On your own it should not take you that long.

large.jpg

Camping is available and a thai style restaurant, toilets and showers etc..

There are 7 levels "they say"?. Photo above is level 4 where the camp site is. Drive your car, park it, and a short walk on even ground.

More photos here

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D