Multi-function Printers

rixalex

As i'm not too bothered about printing photos, but am concerned about keeping running costs (ie ink/toner) low, and not having to worry about leaving the machine for weeks, perhaps months, without use, am i right in thinking that a laser printer is my best option?

I appreciate they are more expensive to buy, but as i understand it, laser printers work out cheaper in the long run - yes?

Any suggestions? And if you have good experiences (or bad) with a certain make or model of multi-function printer, either be it inkjet or laser, please could you share.

Cheers.

I just bought a HP LaserJet M1522NF

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/p.../CB534A%2523ABA

All places were selling for around 15,000 baht with a discount. I've worked with a lot of printers over the years, and never had nearly as many problems with HP's as I've had with others (such as Brother), so for me it was worth spending 2x what other companies charge for the peace of mind. HP printer support is also top notch when you need to troublehsoot a problem or order replacement parts.

The others I briefly considered researching more about (never did) while shopping are the:

Xerox WorkCetnre 220 (no fax) & 222 (fax)

http://fujixerox.co.th/products/product.asp?cat_id=39

The 222 was going for about 7,500 baht.

Samsung ???

Samsung multiFunction's in Thailand

There was a samsung with the same features as above, don't remember the model number. Also about 7,500 baht.

Can't help you much on the Samsung and Xerox, but google should tell you if people are happy with them.

The HP I picked up is fast and everything works as expected. I checked with some of the toner supply shops and they said to refill my current toner cartridge would be 650 baht, while a new cartridge around 1,300 baht.

^^ Many thanks for the information.

Whilst my impression of HP machines is that they are good, do they not have a reputation for charging through the nose ink/toners? I should say more through the noses than others!

That said, 1,300 hundred baht sounds ok. Does that cartridge do it all, or do you have to replace separately for different colours?