Kawasaki Er6-f

Ithailian

Stopped by Phuket Kawi today, they have a big section in the showroom cleared and ready for the new delivery! They still seem confused as to whether it will be tomorrow or Saturday. I feel like it's Christmas eve!

Its not only the delivery date that they are confused about. I dropped by there this morning and the bikes not coming till 1pm Saturday. They seem to have brought in a promotions team, maybe for the arrival of the new bikes.....but what bikes will they be is the question. I asked the question are they er6f's or ninja 650r's. They didn't quite understand so i wrote down on some paper 2009 er6f or 2010 ninja 650r. They pointed to the er6f and i said are you sure and they said 100%. So to you guys who have deposited money already just be aware that they might not be what you expect.

I hope they will be 650 r's but they didn't seem to know much about the name at all. Anyway i'm sure all will be revealed tomorrow. Nothing worse than a conflict of information. As i've said before the customer service in Kwak Phuket leaves a lot to be desired !!!!

Yeah I been getting the same confusion. Trust me, they will be Ninja 650R's (I think and hope :) ) We have all been quoted the 2010 ABS price everyone else paid, so that would seem indicate it'll be the 2010 Ninja 650R. I just called the GM, Poonsak (great name) and he said delivery will be at 4pm tomorrow, Saturday. Which, I reckon means 1pm because the last thing he wants is a bunch of farang hanging around while they try to unload and sort out thier delivery and prepare it for sale. I got the 1pm Saturday time from them when I went in yesterday.

So, see you all there tomorrow!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, Kawasaki USA has the Ninja 650R in the sports bike section of their website. After all, doesn't the "R" stand for "Race"? 0-60mph in 3.83 seconds.

Thought the "R" stood for Retards. :D For sure it ain't a "Race" bike. :)

Nobody said it was a race bike. :D I said I thought is qualified as a sports bike and that R means Race. Is that incorrect? I just looked and multiple sources I found on the internet confirm R means Race. So what's the R stand for then if not race? :D

Edited by Scubabuddha

Also, Kawasaki USA has the Ninja 650R in the sports bike section of their website. After all, doesn't the "R" stand for "Race"? 0-60mph in 3.83 seconds.

So what's the R stand for then?

It defo more convincing that the R on ZX10R stands for "Race" than a 650R.

I would say knowing the Japanese tendency to pick odd choice of words from the English language. I would be more inclined to say that it stand for "Runabout".

It is a two pot 650 Runabout. :D or Runner as in Grocery Runner. :D

Take your pick.

Ninja 650R and Race bike cannot be in the same sentence. Sorry.

So what's the R stand for then?

It defo more convincing that the R on ZX10R stands for "Race" than a 650R.

I would say knowing the Japanese tendency to pick odd choice of words from the English language. I would be more inclined to say that it stand for "Runabout".

It is a two pot 650 Runabout. :D or Runner as in Grocery Runner. :D

Take your pick.

Ninja 650R and Race bike cannot be in the same sentence. Sorry.

No one used "race bike" and "Ninja 650R" in the same sentence except you. Sorry, despite how you feel about this bike, the fact is the R stands for race, as silly as that may seem. Again, my point was it still qualifies as a sport bike. Anyway, after I get mine and take it to a track day I will send you the photo's. :D

Edited by Scubabuddha

^

When you say it is "Race" what are you implying?

Will look forward to the track photos. :D

Just to give you an idea into the Japanese way of naming their vehicles.

I had a Toyota MR2.

MR2 stands for Midship Runabout 2 seater. :)

I was implying the "R" in the name as one piece of evidence that it belongs in the category of "sport bikes." I was not implying it is a "race bike."

Edited by Scubabuddha

^

I had a Toyota MR2.

MR2 stands for Midship Runabout 2 seater. :D

I was implying the "R" in the name as one piece of evidence that it belongs in the category of "sport bikes." I was not implying it is a "race bike."

Hmm, You say R stands for Race. :)

Well we will find out tomorrow...they are here... :D

Did you get yours yet HD?

And I would like to know your criteria for sports bikes if you think the Ninja 650R isn't one. A ZX-10 it aint, but after witnissing Tony's ER6n upclose and in action today, the faired version should definitely qualify by anyones measure. (But I am in love with it so I am biased) That 2 bros exhaust was truly music to the ears. Very loud music, but that's how we like it. :D

Sorry scuba, i`ve been to busy riding around trying to loosen her up.

Picked it up yesterday, i was back on the phone to the korat manager today re something else, and there are still 2 greens, one black and one blue unreserved or booked or bought...

If the guys in the south/bangkok are struggling to get one they should call him...he will deliver.

As for the performance, too early to tell as to tight yet, as for the sound "pish" lawnmower sound..

First mods to be sportsbar v2 and a two bros and rear tail tidy...... :)

Oh i`ve opened a can with the 2 pot comment it would seem, but i stand firm it aint a sports bike in my eyes :D

Edited by husskydog

For this incredibly silly debate over "R"

The name of the bike worldwide is ER6f only in USA it's called Ninja 650R, it has nothing to do with Race at all it solely has to do with the US marketing. In US any sport looking Kawasaki needs to be named Ninja and the letter R. They also have a unique gallon, 110 volt power, different video system, different frequency on there mobiles and a lot of other very different things over there. So for marketing it's called R in one nation where people expect this as a name, if it looks sporty.

Quote; Ninja 650R or ER-6f elsewhere in the world, introduced in 2006. The 650R is a middleweight twin motorcycle, designed for normal use on paved roads. It has modern styling and features, with low-seating ergonomics, a low center of gravity, and respectable, manageable power output. Its design was intended to appeal to a wide-ranging audience from newcomers to seasoned riders. The design was meant to maximize rider comfort and integration, and be aesthetically equivalent to larger, more powerful superbikes. Quote stop

I never ridden the ER6f but I tried the ER6n which is 8 kilos lighter (5%) than the f version with the same engine and should therefore be more agile than the ER6f in the first place, it has nice low end grunt and nice to ride, Tony could get a bit over 200 km/h out of it flat on the tank i never tried the top speed, over 8000 rpm it died in my opinion. Still the low end makes it appear to have nice torque which hits in on low rpm. For me to ever in my mind think of it as deserving R for Race I must say no, but it is a very nice bike for a very nice price in Thailand. Leave it with that, and be happy with it for this reason.

If anyone want to argue check out if you pay the additional "R" insurance rate for this particular bike in Europe or US...

^

I had a Toyota MR2.

MR2 stands for Midship Runabout 2 seater. :D

Hmm, You say R stands for Race. :)

Yes, because is does. That doesn't mean it's a race bike, it means it is race inspired.

I personally find it a bit odd that Kawasaki calls the EX650 a Ninja "R"... After all, the REAL Ninja race bikes are the ZX6R and ZX10R.

That being said, there are folks racing the Ninja 650R / ER6 all over the world. There are 650cc race categories in the UK, France and US.

In the US the Suntrust MOTO-ST series Sport Twins class has 650Rs; in fact the Pair-A-Nine team won the 2008 series championship racing 650Rs. There a quite a few 650Rs racing in WERA, where you can race them in Formula 2, Light Weight Twins (LW) Supersport and LW Superbike.

With the way these bikes are selling in Thailand I imagine we might see a new 650cc race class here in the not so distant future.

Ride On!

Tony

Those bikes are as far from stock as you possibly can get them without changing the entire Bike Tony, you know that. Same as the FZ6 Cup in Australia the mods they do is 10,000,- US$ worth and still a stock superbike would blow them.

There are one official 650 race class for 2 cylinder and that is the Suzuki SV-650 race series. Like Vios one make race class.

The 2 cylinder mid size bikes racing (FIM) are 750cc which races vs 600cc 4 cylinder vs 675cc 3 cylinder (FIM rules).

Maybe Kawasaki will arrange a one make one race, but that has still to be materialized for the Ninja 250 R, they should as it would be a lot of fun for the owners, and a cheap place to start competing, but with the minuscule race scene on bikes in Thailand I doubt it. We can always hope :D

Kawasaki R bikes or race bikes are as you state ZX6R, ZX10R track bikes and ZX14R the ZX14R is mainly for drag racing or the big oval competing with Hayabusa, the rest of the bikes are not intended as such...

Let me think CBR 150, Ninja 250 R and so on it's a marketing deal, so what? the ER6-f is a great bike for it's use, awesome value as well. It has a superbike inspired look to it so it's marketed somewhere as 650 R big deal, enjoy the bike and ride on.

:)

For this incredibly silly debate over "R"

The name of the bike worldwide is ER6f only in USA it's called Ninja 650R.....

....and in US the name sells, the rest of the world would feel like wannabe with the name hence it's only used there......

Not quite Bard, the bike is also called the Ninja 650R in Canada, New Zealand, and now for 2010, Thailand, and probably more SEA countries that we have not yet been made aware of. I would not be surprised if they drop the ER6f name all together, this being Ninja's 25th anniversary and all. I appreciate your subtle condescension though. :)

..........If anyone want to argue check out if you pay the additional "R" insurance rate for this particular bike in Europe or US...

Maybe I am wrong here but I thought I read the insurance offered by Kawi for the ER6n was 7,500 baht and the insurance offered by Kawi for the 2010 Ninja 650R was 12,000 or 13,000 baht.

Anyway, I will enjoy my new bike even if some will think I am a wannabe because it has an "R" in the name. :D

Riding on!!

Edited by Scubabuddha

INSURANCE: for 2010 ninja 650r and 2010 er6n ABS...as issued by Kawasaki Korat

Falcon insurance

1st class

3rd party liabilty

bodily injury or death/person 2,000,000

over ctpl limit/accident 10,000,000

liabilty for property damage/accident 1,000,000

own damage

own damage 180,000

fire/theft 180,000

additional perils

driver/person 100,000

passenger/person 100,000

medical/person 50,000

bail bond/accident 2,000,000

premium cost 7,520 baht/anum

Falcon insurance

1st class

3rd party liabilty

own damage

own damage 180,000

fire/theft 180,000

additional perils

driver/person 100,000

passenger/person 100,000

medical/person 50,000

Thats good to know. Phuket wants 13,000. Don't know the details tho.

Falcon insurance

1st class

3rd party liabilty

own damage

own damage 180,000

fire/theft 180,000

additional perils

driver/person 100,000

passenger/person 100,000

medical/person 50,000

Hi!

The reason Phuket wants 13000 B must be that they offer Siam City Insurance and not Falcon/Lockton. Bkk offer both, even though they seem to be pretty much the same, if I don't missmind myself the Siam City Insurance doesn't have the 5000 deductible, but the Falcon is soooo much cheaper so I would go with that one anyway, sure Phuket shop can get it for u if u ask them.

Falcon insurance

1st class

3rd party liabilty

own damage

own damage 180,000

fire/theft 180,000

additional perils

driver/person 100,000

passenger/person 100,000

medical/person 50,000

Hi!

The reason Phuket wants 13000 B must be that they offer Siam City Insurance and not Falcon/Lockton. Bkk offer both, even though they seem to be pretty much the same, if I don't missmind myself the Siam City Insurance doesn't have the 5000 deductible, but the Falcon is soooo much cheaper so I would go with that one anyway, sure Phuket shop can get it for u if u ask them.

Great, I will ask them. I also got/am getting quotes from AIG and ThaiVisa, but very oddly Thaivisa won;t give me a qoute without seeing the green book, which of course I won't have till mid-October they are telling me. Guess I won't be going with them.. :)

First mods to be sportsbar v2 and a two bros and rear tail tidy...... :)

Did you order the sport bars from motospecialties.com (aka Ninja650Shop.com)? I haven't seen them anywhere else.

I've used Ninja650Shop.com for some of the mods on my ER6n and have been very pleased with their knowledge and service.

Have a set of sport bars on the way. It sounds like installation can be tricky though...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Any bike can be raced, it doesn't have to have an R in it's name for that. As to whether it would be competitive against actual 600cc sports bikes. Not in a million years because the ninja 650r or whatever it's called isn't a sportsbike. Don't get me wrong I like them, I've got an ER6n, I use it round town and on short trips and it's fun. When it's time race on the track though, then I use my gixxer, could just as easy be a ZX10 cos all of the 1000cc sport bikes are pretty similar. Those bikes are race inspired, there ain't know doubt. If someone is kind enough to let you have a go on a proper sports/race bike around bira you'll see the difference and you won't think of your ninja 650r as being race inspired anymore.

I've used Ninja650Shop.com for some of the mods on my ER6n and have been very pleased with their knowledge and service.

Have a set of sport bars on the way. It sounds like installation can be tricky though...

Happy Trails!

Tony

Yep, they are the only people who make them.....I have them on my Zr7 s, as for fitting on the 650r i it will be alot less hassle as i had to reem the top edge of the plate straight across as the key fob on the zr7s is in the centre and not offset to the right as on the 650r.....but just remember if you fit an after market screen on the 650r you will need cut aways to have full lock...oh and i filled mine with dry brick laying sand, cheap and it stops any vibration you might get :) .

The earlier plates had ninja engraved on them, but now only read sportbar, i think i`ll email jarel and see if the can make the ninja name again before i order for the 650r, shouldn't need much re-tooling....