Owning European Car In Thailand

ArranP

Hello,

Are there any real drawbacks to owning a European Car (Audi Volvo Opel Peuguot etc.) in Thailand (outside Bangkok).

My initial concerns are maintenance and servicing would be difficult and expensive and therefore it maybe more prudent to stay with the Japanese Brands.

Arran.

Hi

Depends which make and model you own. I have an old W123 Mercedes and have had no problems. Every one can work on it and parts are easily available. Never had to wait more than 24 hours for a part. Friends with Volkswagens often have to wait weeks for parts or order them from abroad themselves!

It is my opinion that it is not worth taking a chance of being broke down in the middle of nowhere and having to look for someone to repair a foreign car.

I understand those sentiments but I think it depends on what you are looking at. Newer Japanese v newer European I would probably trust the Japanese car more. However, my old Mercedes against an old Japanese car of the same value? Would go with the old Merc every time! All mechanics I have been to seem to be able to work on it just fine and parts are plentiful and cheap!

just bought a peugeot 205,didn't know before i bought it that parts would be more expensive,

had to buy a head light swich,4k,ordered from bangkok,4 times as expensive as toyota,

got a fright

the radiator pipe went,bangkok didn't have it,said i must wait a month for it to come from europe,

2k,

got another fright and got a thai guy to make some thing up,

then i thought that if anything major went i would wright it off but have since got a number for peugeot copy spares in bangkok,

would love to know one in chiang mai,

still don't regret i bought it,

it has a charictor and driving feel that you just don't get from japan

Hello,

Are there any real drawbacks to owning a European Car (Audi Volvo Opel Peuguot etc.) in Thailand (outside Bangkok).

My initial concerns are maintenance and servicing would be difficult and expensive and therefore it maybe more prudent to stay with the Japanese Brands.

Arran.

I own a Ford Laser Tierra 1.8 Ghia 2004, we use it mostly in Suratthani and Ford have their own service center in the town (very professional). My experience is that both Japanese and american cars (Like Ford and Chevrolet) are very easy and inexpensive to own in Thailand. If anyone have another experience in this matter please let me know.

I have been at Ford doing service and small repairs without any problems or draining my wallet :o

post-77649-1235316510_thumb.jpg

Depends very much on what European car.

I have an old Volvo, spare parts are not an issue as there are a gazillion Volvo's of that era on the road (240, 740,940, technically almost identical).

Go for Audi or Peugeot, and things do get indeed complicated/expensive. Not enough of them on the road to create a network of spare and knock of spares...

Hello,

Arran.

One problem is that generally insurance costs more for European (foreign) vehicles but suggest one also looks at this for old vehicles ;

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/our-products...wn-service.html

• 3 years later...

Anyone wanting a great European sport-saloon/sedan in Thailand should look at the Alfa Romeo 156. Assembled in Thailand in the early 2000's, parts & service are available. Be prepared for lots of looks, as nothing has the cache of a nice Alfa in the land of ToyoNissOnda blandness.

There are quite a few 156 running around Bangkok, with great service expertise & support at Thai Prestige and BK Service. These guys know the 156 like the back of their hand, and have been spot-on in accurate diagnosis & repairs at a fair price.

Also there is a good-sized Alfa enthusiast group that do track days and cross country runs in Thailand, if you're into that sort of thing. IMHO, there is no better car here for price-to-value if you take into account performance (stronger than Camry, on par with BMW 3 Series, better handling than either), luxury (full leather, Italian design) and safety (solid construction & 12 airbags front & rear) factors which only top of line BMW can match. Look at features per baht and you'll discover the 156 is unmatched, and good luck finding airbag protection for your entire family for less than twice the price of an Alfa 156.

The fuel injected 2.0 Twinspark engine is bulletproof, developed over decades, and produces 150HP with loads of torque. Its 'expendables' such as sensors, water pump, belts & tensioners, are readily available. Look for a nice example with service records, that hasn't been modified from stock. If no records, negotiate price to cover a belts & fluids service.

Hi

Depends which make and model you own. I have an old W123 Mercedes and have had no problems. Every one can work on it and parts are easily available. Never had to wait more than 24 hours for a part. Friends with Volkswagens often have to wait weeks for parts or order them from abroad themselves!

There is no way to wait for weeks for usual VW parts. Peaple don't knw where to get parts, that's the problem. You can't just walk in a dealership, because there are not much VW dealerships in LOS anyway. Get your parts from BKK from Worachack or Bang Na is less than 24 hours.

For the OP: Why do you ask that kind of question when you know the answer already anyway?

Jap Parts are easier to get, specially for the older Jap cars, like Solunda or Mighty X, oder Isuzu Trucks, etc. But Jap- cars are quite boring and suspensions aren't that good as VW, Volvo or Benz for example.

For newer Jap cars, parts are not allways in stock at the dealerships and have to order from BKK anyway. For example: i could't find a taillight for a 03 Altis in Pattaya and i could't find a oxigen sensor for a dam 08 Vios either. Both part i had to order in BKK. In this case i "skip" the Toyota dealership because they offered me to get the part in 10 days. But my cars are "rentals" and i can't wait 10 days for parts, Therefore i ordered directly in Woratchak and got my paorts next day and cheaper!.

Result: You have to be flexible and use common senses if you want to own a car in LOS! Can't always use the dealerships. Tey are unflexible in customer service and part delivery!

Facit a 30 year old Benz W126 or W123 or a Volvo still drives better and smoother than a brand new Jap Car! European cars are Qality, but not for everyone! For peaple who have no knowledge about cars, it's better to stay with a simple 98 Soluna or Mitsubishi E Car!

Hi

There is no way to wait for weeks for usual VW parts. Peaple don't knw where to get parts, that's the problem. You can't just walk in a dealership, because there are not much VW dealerships in LOS anyway. Get your parts from BKK from Worachack or Bang Na is less than 24 hours.

For the OP: Why do you ask that kind of question when you know the answer already anyway?

Jap Parts are easier to get, specially for the older Jap cars, like Solunda or Mighty X, oder Isuzu Trucks, etc. But Jap- cars are quite boring and suspensions aren't that good as VW, Volvo or Benz for example.

For newer Jap cars, parts are not allways in stock at the dealerships and have to order from BKK anyway. For example: i could't find a taillight for a 03 Altis in Pattaya and i could't find a oxigen sensor for a dam 08 Vios either. Both part i had to order in BKK. In this case i "skip" the Toyota dealership because they offered me to get the part in 10 days. But my cars are "rentals" and i can't wait 10 days for parts, Therefore i ordered directly in Woratchak and got my paorts next day and cheaper!.

Result: You have to be flexible and use common senses if you want to own a car in LOS! Can't always use the dealerships. Tey are unflexible in customer service and part delivery!

Facit a 30 year old Benz W126 or W123 or a Volvo still drives better and smoother than a brand new Jap Car! European cars are Qality, but not for everyone! For peaple who have no knowledge about cars, it's better to stay with a simple 98 Soluna or Mitsubishi E Car!

That's a pretty good summery...I could only ad,owning an Audi(and a City),that it helps to have another car in your household just in case you need to wait for some original parts...but as been said above,most of the parts are quite easy obtainable from BKK via internet,car clubs etc...it may cost more,but driving a good European car is also much,much more fun and it's worth it IMO!!...and my girls want to be picked up from school only(!) in an Audi smile.png...Honda is mostly for shopping etc,good and reliable "transportation"...

Edited by funcat