Will Thailand Show Goodwill To Farangs?

SEAtramp

With the aid that has been provided from farangs around the world, finacial and otherwise, would it not be a show of appreciation to reciprocate.

How about the laws being changed on home/land ownership for example.

The king under these circumstances has been known to pardon prisoners in Thailand for any gratuitous help to its country. So why not the goverment?

With the aid that has been provided from farangs around the world, finacial and otherwise, would it not be a show of appreciation to reciprocate.

The king under these circumstances has been known to pardon prisoners in Thailand for any gratuitous help to its country. So why not the goverment?

Why would the govt wish to change the law? There are already plenty of ways around this including the most common way which is for the farang to set up a company and then coming under the tax collection net by paying rent to himself to stay in his companies house. Sure, we as farang would like the law to change but I dont see any pressing reason why the Thai's would want the law to be changed. I would hazzard a guess that in say Pattaya and Phuket, there must be at least 10,000 Thai companies owning property paying taxes typically around 15,000 baht (as an average) so that would equate to 150,000,000 baht in tax payments just by leaving it as the status quo. Not a small sum by Thai standards and could be way higher than my figures show. Almost all well educated Thai already know these loopholes exist, but of course can proclaim quite rightly that foreigners cannot 'buy' land and take over Thailand which of course supposedly appeals to the masses of uneducated Thai's. I suspect the reality is that the poor Thai's dont really give two hoots about foreigners owning land but that way it leaves more for the wealthy Thais to buy up cheap and then sell on to the farang thus keeping more for them in profit. Its called an uneven playing field.

I think in this disaster that Thailand has done itself proud, and taken exceptional care of all nationalities affected. I say they have every reason to be feel good about the compassion and courage they've shown, and have no idea why they should need to pardon some scumbag drug dealer on top of it all.

The aid was to help people who were suffering, not to get something in return. I suggest you look up charity and compassion in a dictionary.

cv

for the most part, HM does things on the advice of the government of the day. It is what being a constituional monarchy is all about.

Really?

Well, using the example given by the OP, the Thai Ministry of Foriegn affairs, in combination with correctional departments would work together to put together a list of prisoners 'eligible' for early release. Most things that go to HM, go through the regular channels, including vetting from the Department for the Royal Household.

The thing to remember about HM is that he is also quite a canny politician. Although he has great moral authority, for him to intervene in thai politics on a regular basis would mean a dilution of any ability he has to affect change when it really counts (eg coups, political oppression).

Edited by samran

for the most part, HM does things on the advice of the government of the day. It is what being a constituional monarchy is all about.

Really?

Well, using the example given by the OP, the Thai Ministry of Foriegn affairs, in combination with correctional departments would work together to put together a list of prisoners 'eligible' for early release. Most things that go to HM, go through the regular channels, including vetting from the Department for the Royal Household.

The thing to remember about HM is that he is also quite a canny politician. Although he has great moral authority, for him to intervene in thai politics on a regular basis would mean a dilution of any ability he has to affect change when it really counts (eg coups, political oppression).

His Majesty's Privy Council advise His Majesty as to possible early releases, pardons

etc

Dream on. If there is nothing to be gained by them doing something, they won't do it. And in this case, there isn't.

Dream on. If there is nothing to be gained by them doing something, they won't do it. And in this case, there isn't.

Balance your chips. Put one on the other shoulder. Jeeez

And now we know why Thaksin will not accept financial aid..... :o

Quote from Mr. Big regarding foreign aid for tsunami relief in a front page article in today's Bangkok Post: "We want them to help countries in worse trouble than Thailand. We don't want the farang [westerners] to say that they built this house and they built that house."

Granted, the Big Guy was not talking about the exact thing discussed here but I think one could extrapolate from this comment and reach the conclusion that property laws won't be amended any time soon as a way of saying thanks for the helping hand! :o

Don't forget that the Thais are some of the most proud of the proud and have never been colonized.

Proud ness is a fine thing......... and usually no problem as long as the nose not is so high up that you can’t see where you’re heading. :o

Don't forget that the Thais are some of the most proud of the proud and have never been colonized.

Proud they may be. But they had to swallow a huge lump of it, when they asked the IMF to bail them out in thier times of crisis. :o

Edited by SEAtramp

Proud they may be. But they had to swallow a huge lump of it, when they asked the IMF to bail them out in thier times of crisis.

And they gained a lot again when they "proudly" paid it back last year.

/moved to tsunami comments forum

And they gained a lot again when they "proudly" paid it back last year.

Well ahead of schedule to boot. Though I think it was the year before... :o

The bit about HM making suggestions based on government advice is incorrect - in fact, it is the other way around. HM will not speak out unless he feels it is necessary, and the government will carry out his wishes. Even many of the major flyovers built in the past few years were only built at HM's suggestion.

The constitutional monarchy bit basically refers to the fact that changes to the law do not take affect until published by the Royal Household Bureau. Same as ministerial appointments, etc... but the Royal Household Bureau will not interfere with any of these changes except at HM's request - and that is very rare.

There's no mixup - and there is no constitutional court.

This is what I was referring to:

There's no mix up - and there is no constitutional court.
Really!! Whats this then scotch mist?

I refer you to my Constitutional court url. As you are unaware of its existence, you might wish to read it and then reapraise your last qoute. :o

Land ownership rights - hah We should knock this on the head once and for all. In our lifetimes , this ain't going to change.

I once wrote a political economic manifesto for a Presidential candidate in the region, and I too included the land ownership nugget. It got crossed out of my first draft. "Nice try Moog, but this is the hottest of political hot potatoes"

Ironically though, whilst you can't own the surface of the land, foreign mining companies can literally dig up parts of SE Asian countries and ship them abroad - funny that.

Who is them? Having been involved in several volunteer projects over the past several weeks, each time I must leave my details on a list including contact info and passport number. My aim is purely to help and give, not to gain :o The purpose of the list? Probably to create a database of people who have volunteered and wish to do so again....

Sure, it would be great if one day they looked back and said 'hey, so and so did his bit in our time of need...' but when sh*t like this hits the fan it's time to do and to give whatever you can, without any thought of self.