A Funny Problem With Cockroaches.

My Bangkok condominium is empty for considerable periods, and as such the toilets dry out.

First time I was over I dealt with about 8 dead cockroaches, possibly due to the fact the building had not been completed and workers were eating food. they were scattered all over the unit.

Each time I have come over the problem decreases. Last time I think it was about 3. But they are coming up through the toilets.

Well I don't mind hovering up the bodies but, please excuse me here, their shit is a bugger to clean up, and it goes everywhere including up the walls.

The insecticide 'Raid' is a great weapon, spray, three seconds later they are dead on their back. But like renttokill rodent traps (those wite boxes that look like a great home :o ) in buildings in the UK is there a sort of lure you can use to get them to die in one place you can just throw out? (Without having to clean up the shit :D )

Edited by pkrv

I believe there is a lure/trap system available that consists of sticky sheets of paper that attracts them then traps them for future disposal. I've never used it as, to my mind, is rather distasteful to have around and occupied property but I suppose you could hide them in closets or just put them down at night. I guess if you set it out over a long enough period you'd kill them all and then could just lay one per week or something like that.

A suggestion if you are going to leave your place empty for some time. Try putting some covers over the toilets, just flat boards with maybe a sheet of rubber to get a good seal. That would stop them getting in that way although from my experience they come up all the drains including the shower.

I believe there is a lure/trap system available that consists of sticky sheets of paper that attracts them then traps them for future disposal. I've never used it as, to my mind, is rather distasteful to have around and occupied property but I suppose you could hide them in closets or just put them down at night. I guess if you set it out over a long enough period you'd kill them all and then could just lay one per week or something like that.

A suggestion if you are going to leave your place empty for some time. Try putting some covers over the toilets, just flat boards with maybe a sheet of rubber to get a good seal. That would stop them getting in that way although from my experience they come up all the drains including the shower.

PhilHarries - I will look out for the sticky sheets (oh god I have just realised what I said, this is Thailand :o )

Yes good idea - I may try cling film. Whilst not stong enough to keep out the dam creatures, it might keep the water in, don't know. Also I don't know if they can swim as well, they apparently will be the only creature to survive a nucular war!.

BTW we also have I guess you call them drains (shower, bathroom floor drainage for cleaning/mops etc) . But they are fitted with a fine wire grid to keep them out by that route.

Thanks for the thoughts

Edited by pkrv

If you spray a product called Permedan around all the likely inlets, it dries but stays on the surface and kills them in minutes, in Pattaya it is sold in Friendship

Ah I think this must be the stuff that was sprayed around the skirting boards and down the drains by juristic first time we came over - It flushed out one of the buggers god know where it it was hiding. It drys clear, and did not seem to harm the wood flooring in our case.

Thanks Permedan is now on our shopping list :o will spray down the loo just before we leave.

Edited by pkrv

I think clingfilm will be plenty strong enough just remember to take it off when you get back before going down the pub. :o

I haven't heard of the stuff Permedan recommended by JohnC, i sounds good but I wonder how long an application lasts.

I think I will go for belt and braces on this one. Good question how long does an application last?

We use Permedan and the application, if sprayed at an extortionate cost by a company lasts a month, we buy ours in Friendship or Best and find it lasts 6-8 weeks when we are here. If we go away we always spray anyway, and I always put Duck RA bleach down all the drains, toilets and sinks before we leave. A filled water bottle to cover the drains works too, does not matter how small the drain covers appear these beggars will gain access, putting the loo seat cover down with a heavy weight on top will also keep rats out, they seem to use this mode of access to properties, as we found out in one house we rented, but moved out of pretty quickly afterwards.

PS forgot to say to spray inside and outside of accomodation.

Edited by mamanoodle

• 8 months later...

Deep apologies I should have got back earlier - We found we had just the thing, several large mats of just the right size - even after 4 months water still in the loos! cockroaches 0 Thaivisa advise 10. No other problems at all (mould etc) though as a precaution we did cover the mats with bin liners and throw these away on return visits.

Thanks you guys saved us a lot of work!