Anyone Know The Logic Behind Aircon Pricing ?

torrenova

OK, so aircons must be largely the same inside (within brand and model range), only differing from features and capacity. For many, the features are very broadly similar with some gimmicks thrown in for top of the range stuff sometimes. So why the illogical pricing ?

From a current Daikin leaflet (FTE Series):

BTU 8,900 Bt14,900

BTU 12,300 Bt17,900

BTU 17,750 Bt28,500

Now they all have free installation which if it is say costed at Bt2000 reduces all prices by the same amount (It might differ marginally I agree but for simplicity)

Then the boxes and the insides must be at least 50% the same (I'd think much higher actually) so you end up with

BTU 8,900 Bt(14,900-2000)*50% = 6,450 = Bt725 per BTU 1000

BTU 12,300 Bt(17,900-2000)*50% = 7,950 = Bt646 per BTU 1000

BTU 17,750 Bt(28,500-2000)*50% = 13,250 = Bt746 per BTU 1000

Now I understand the price dropping the bigger you get but with aircons, it goes back up again which is illogical to me.

for sure I've made quite a few assumptions but anyone know the real story ?

From what I have seen, the 9k and 12k units are the same except the btu is higher, use the same size piping etc.

When it jumps to 18k the piping is larger diameter, the indoor unit is larger as well, if you look below using LG as an example (which all brands seem to be similar with sizing etc), i would say the only difference between the 9k and 13 is the compressor used. The pipe size also changes to larger pipes at 18k/23k

Type Options Model BTU EER (BTU/h/W) RUNNING CURRENT (Amps) indoor Dimensions(mm) Wieght (Kg)outdoor Dimensions(mm) Wieght (Kg)

Jet Cool S10LC 9,799 11.12 4.1 840 x 270 x 153 7 740 x 624 270 26.35

Jet Cool S13LC 13,020 11.18 5.3 840 x 270 x 153 7 740 x 624 270 33.5

Jet Cool S18LC 18,533 11.12 7.6 1090 x 314 x 172 13.5 870 x 655 x 320 60

Jet Cool S24LC 22,860 1090 x 314 x 172 13.5 870 x 655 x 320 62

Until recently the pricing in Bangkok was 1 baht for 1 btu. That was for no name units - floor or ceiling mounted & not digital thermostats.

That does include Mitsibushi rotary compressors with their usual warranty.

I haven't bought one lately so I don't know if that's still the price.

• 4 months later...

You see these nonsensical kinds of pricing all the time in Thailand and my view is that its a result of the low volumes of sales for most products that aren't basic necessities. With lower volumes the marginal cost of stocking each different type of product is much higher so prices vary very dramatically depending on the relative volume of sales.

My guess is that 12k BTU units are the highest volume sellers and thus the lowest price per BTU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am looking for a new aircon to put in the ceiling of new condo (the kind that is hidden in the ceiling, as in hotels) and it seems that this kind of machine is more expensive than the traditional one when in my opinion it should be cheaper as they don't even need to give a metallic box around !

http://www.daikin.co.th/Eng/product/sky_air/linesky.htm

So i guess it's because they don't sell as many of this kind than the traditional one with the ugly indoor unit :-)

Anybody has information about this "hidden" aircon ? Any problem or it should be ok (ok to pay more, but at least it shouldn't bring more problems than the usual machine!)

Thanks.

Other things you should note is how much pipe from wall unit to compressor is included and what quailty of pipe, one more thing the little 9/12k btu units from what ever brand don't like long runs of pipe try for around 3-5M from wall unit to compressor or you will find it takes a longer time for the unit to get cold. Invertor units are the way to go more cash to buy but electricity bill savings pay this back after a year or two

• 1 month later...

I would say that the price is more than likely set by the manufacture and the shop marks it up a bit but when BTU increase price increase. Also does the unit have a cap. tube, orifice plate, or txv, the txv unit will be more expensive and usually are found on larger units.

You will also pay higer prices for the name brands carrier, Lg, mitsubishi, and trane. This type of pricing also happens in the states as well so get over it.

You usually get what you pay for.

I'm in the industry and one cannot just divide the price by BTU. Costs just don't work that way. It cost just as much to make a 9,000btu unit as does a 12,000 btu unit. Pretty much the same casing, coil area, motors, and fan CFM. It is just a smaller compresor with a different expansion valve. However in the long run 9,000btu units consume muss less electricity for people that do not need the extra capacity. 18,000 btu units cost more because they are bigger have have much bigger motors, fan and compressor capacities hence more costs. Also one much understand aircons have excise taxes and luxury taxes charged to the factory so higher the costs the more the taxes. Yes aircon is considered a luxury in Thailand collected by the same department as alcohol and tobacco. However they just removed the luxury taxes so prices should be coming down even more after all the older stack has been sold out in the industry.