Opinions On The Best Way To Ship Small Packages To Thailand Without Customs Issues?

adurelaaks

I would like some opinions/testimonials on shipping small packages to Thailand. I would like to know what shipper or courier anyone would recommend using to get the package here as fast as possible with the least hassle or attention drawn to it making it be held up in customs? Also, in everyone's experience, how many small packages are actually opened by inspectors to access the value or check contents. As long as the value is lower than 20k Bt. and the package is small, like a book, etc. I am asking because it is unclear after looking at the prohibited items list on the customs website, if the book I would like sent has been censored by government. Any info about customs, shipping, courier services, post, delivery methods, customs declarations, etc. etc. etc. would be of great help. I have heard too many horror stories about Thai customs and packages just disappearing all together, I woud like to collect as much info as possible before sending. Thanks.

I would like some opinions/testimonials on shipping small packages to Thailand. I would like to know what shipper or courier anyone would recommend using to get the package here as fast as possible with the least hassle or attention drawn to it making it be held up in customs? Also, in everyone's experience, how many small packages are actually opened by inspectors to access the value or check contents. As long as the value is lower than 20k Bt. and the package is small, like a book, etc. I am asking because it is unclear after looking at the prohibited items list on the customs website, if the book I would like sent has been censored by government. Any info about customs, shipping, courier services, post, delivery methods, customs declarations, etc. etc. etc. would be of great help. I have heard too many horror stories about Thai customs and packages just disappearing all together, I woud like to collect as much info as possible before sending. Thanks.

From where to here?

My sister in Oregon sends me a monthly "pouch" of odds and ends of mail, newspapers, a magazine or two via the USPS "Global Priority Mail" as it used to be known, now renamed and repriced: http://www.usps.com/international/priority...ternational.htm

Used to be $9.50 now $11.75. This is a semi stiff "flat rate envelope" in which you stuff up to 4 pounds gross weight of stuff. She often puts in non-paper items, has been medicines, small tools, and such. Been doing this for coming on 15 years or more. Only one (1) package was actually held up by Customs, some meds, I went down to their office near Hua Lamphong, paid a bit and walked off with the package. Others have been opened and past on to my local post office.

These are sent airmail so if she mails on a Tuesday I'll usually receive it in 7-10 days, depending on Thai holidays. NEVER had one lost, altho a couple did end up in a surface freight bag and took 6 weeks or so.

Mac

Well, if you are talking about importing things banned by the government like it says in your post ... we cannot help you.

I have things sent to me from the US via USPS (registered) I have paid Duty on about 20% of the shipments. When I have clothes sent I have the tags taken off and have them washed and shipped as used.

From where to here?

My sister in Oregon sends me a monthly "pouch" of odds and ends of mail, newspapers, a magazine or two via the USPS "Global Priority Mail" as it used to be known, now renamed and repriced: http://www.usps.com/international/priority...ternational.htm

Used to be $9.50 now $11.75. This is a semi stiff "flat rate envelope" in which you stuff up to 4 pounds gross weight of stuff. She often puts in non-paper items, has been medicines, small tools, and such. Been doing this for coming on 15 years or more. Only one (1) package was actually held up by Customs, some meds, I went down to their office near Hua Lamphong, paid a bit and walked off with the package. Others have been opened and past on to my local post office.

These are sent airmail so if she mails on a Tuesday I'll usually receive it in 7-10 days, depending on Thai holidays. NEVER had one lost, altho a couple did end up in a surface freight bag and took 6 weeks or so.

Mac

Thanks for that info Mac. Do you think a small box containing a headphone set from Dell could fit in one of those packages?

Dave

it will depend on declared value,and writing 2k diamond on the box wont help !,. keep it simple, under 2 kilos and a value of $50, no problems.( with any service, from PO to DHL, ) make sure its a tracked service,.

Edited by imaneggspurt

The one downside with the USPS Global Priority pouch, as mentioned above, is that it's NOT trackable... It's a good price, and convenient for sending small items or paper mail. Never had any problem with Customs about it, and never had any of those envelopes opened.

But one Christmas ago, I had a regular package of forwarded mail shipped that way, and it took two months to arrive in BKK from the USA... I thought it was been lost, so went checking about tracking and found there was none. Then it showed up here in late February...

These days, use similar but more expensive mailings from Fed Ex or DHL, as they are trackable. USPS also has a more expensive international packages mailing program that is trackable, but it's not nearly as good a price.