Renewing The 1-year Marriage Visa

Hi,

I have to renew my one-year marriage visa once again in April. Do I need a proof of money transfer from a bank ? Can I get that proof for the receiving Thai bank (Krung Thai) or I need to get the one in my home country (Canada) ? How can I get that paper at the Thai bank ?

Many thanks,

Amadeus

Most passbooks have a place for code entry of type of transaction and that will indicate that it was a foreign transfer. In the case of Bangkok Bank the code is FTT. Immigration accepts this AFAIK. If you are required to obtain further proof your bank should be able to provide you copies of transfer documents listing source, exchange rate and fees for those transactions you specify.

Note that you many have a second question about "paper" at the bank. You do need to obtain the current balance letter from your bank branch prior to going to immigration - if you tell them the reason for this they should know how to type it up or if you have copy of letter used last year they can follow that. Normal charge is 200 baht and most branches can do themselves if you ask - but they may say hqs needs to send so might want to do 2 or 3 days prior to your planned immigration visit.

Edited by lopburi3

Hi,

I have to renew my one-year marriage visa once again in April.  Do I need a proof of money transfer from a bank ? Can I get that proof for the receiving Thai bank (Krung Thai) or I need to get the one in my home country (Canada) ? How can I get that paper at the Thai bank ?

Many thanks,

Amadeus

you need a letter from your bank stating that you have an account, the current balance and that the money came from overseas, together with the transfer form. all documents submitted in original and 2 signed copies.

if you need more info, go to "www.imm3.police.go.th" (immi headoffice in Bangkok) or "www.thaiimmigration.com" which is the Nong Kai branch, but in this case correct and accepted.

paulfr, many thanks.  I heard it's pretty hard to open a Bangkok Bank account if you're not working here.  How did you do it ?

All you need to open an account at Bangkok Bank is a non immigrant visa and address certification. You probably would need less if you open a joint account with the wife.

Bank Account

If you are working or living in Thailand or just moving here, we can help to set up a new bank account for you quickly and easily. With a long-term visa and a work permit or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking services like phone banking, mobile phone banking and internet banking.

Once you have opened your account you will receive a Bangkok Bank passbook which can be updated at our handy terminals in our branches. Your passbook is a handy way of tracking your account movements and takes the place of an account statement.

With a Bangkok Bank account, you can also apply for a Bualuang ATM card. 

Edited by lopburi3

paulfr, many thanks.  I heard it's pretty hard to open a Bangkok Bank account if you're not working here.  How did you do it ?

I have done this already from Krung Thai Bank in Korat last year and will be doing it again in March/April this year. They charged me 100 Baht for the "letter".

If you need/want a "copy" of the letter from the bank I would be willing to scan it and sent it to you in a PM/email (with my account number "blacked" out of course.) It isn't difficult to get this letter other than it must be dated within 7 days of your extension application.

Opening a Bangkok Bank account is fairly easy. Just need minimum of 500 Baht, 300 Baht for visa electron card (available after 1 week) a place of residence,(not a hotel) and your passport. Not sure if they require a non-imm visa but certainly don't require a work permit

Everybody, thank you very much for the very useful information.

Another question : if I have to apply for the visa in March, when do I have to transfer the money form oversea ? Is it ok if it is done in February or earlier ? How long can the bank make the transfer certificate after the money actually has been transfered ?

Another question : if I have to apply for the visa in March, when do I have to transfer the money form oversea ? Is it ok if it is done in February or earlier ? How long can the bank make the transfer certificate after the money actually has been transfered ?

Anytime before you obtain the bank letter of balance in your account will be fine.

Opening a Bangkok Bank account is fairly easy. Just need minimum of 500 Baht, 300 Baht for visa electron card (available after 1 week) a place of residence,(not a hotel) and your passport. Not sure if they require a non-imm visa but certainly don't require a work permit

I opened an account at BB before I had a non-imm visa - no probs.

Anytime before you obtain the bank letter of balance in your account will be fine.

it depends where you are : in the head office you should get the transfer letter within a couple of days at the latest.

anywhere in the province it takes at least a week, after the transfer has been made.

Some banks (kasikorn) take a month before the letter will be sent to your branch,

therefore, better make teh transfer sooner!

it depends where you are : in the head office you should get the transfer letter within a couple of days at the latest.

anywhere in the province it takes at least a week, after the transfer has been made.

Some banks (kasikorn) take a month before the letter will be sent to your branch,

therefore, better make teh transfer sooner!

Am not quite sure what we are talking about here as the only letter required for extension of stay is that made by the branch giving your account balance sometime in the last 7 days prior to application for extension of stay. That letter can be made and signed by a branch manager. There is no requirement at Bangkok for fund transfer letters if you provide copies of your account passbook that have them listed that I know of. Or are some people being asked for further proof? If so is it initial extension or for all? What exactly is being asked for?

Can I get that proof for the receiving Thai bank (Krung Thai) or I need to get the one in my home country (Canada) ? How can I get that paper at the Thai bank ?

Your KTB branch should have the document for you.

If not show them the transcation in the book and ask for the record to show

Khor Muang (immigration). They will understand.

If necessary they can request it from HO.

The last time I need one, it was faxed through in about 10 minutes.

you need a letter from your bank stating that you have an account, the current balance and that the money came from overseas,

You need the letter from the local branch confirming your balance as well.

you need a letter from your bank stating that you have an account, the current balance and that the money came from overseas,

You need the letter from the local branch confirming your balance as well.

chico is saying letter when he means a bank statement or passbook I believe. There is only one letter from bank required and that is, as astral says above, to confirm account and amount in it.