Re-confirming Your Flight Reservations...

tonykawakawa

Although I have done this in the past, I alwyas was curious as to why there is a need to reconfirm you reservations once you have paid for your tickets.

I could see calling to say your plans have changed, but to call to tell them you plan on using the ticket you already paid for?

Usually when I called, it was as if I was wasting the reservation agents time.

But then again, I guess it is better to waste their time than my time!

hehehehe

This is when airlines purposly overbook flights to guarantee the flight is full when it takes off, they then hope some customers don't turn up or offer alternative flights to late commers or people who haven't confirmed their intention to fly that day.

They will even sell a late ticket at an inflated price if someone who is willing to pay it to cover the cost of giving another person an alternative flight and maybe a voucher for a free flight at a later date.

Often airlines nowadays state there is no need to reconfirm, but I know people working in the travel industry always do it nevertheless, when they are travelling themselves. It can always be that something has changed, like the departure time of a flight.

There used to be a need to do this, but in this age of computerised reservations there isn't.

Technically true, but in some places (e.g. India) it's still not a bad idea to reconfirm. I've even had airlines proactively call me in India to confirm wither I would be taking my outbound flight as scheduled.

it depends-on many factors, as with ots things in life its not a simply case of yes or no.

It thus depends on the airline concerned (with those from the US-dont bother), where your flight starts from (India, Africa, other countries notorious for non-shows), and the type of ticket you hold. What many people also confuse with reconfirm is a simply new confirmation that times etc have not changed-this happens often when there is a real long time between booking and take-off. Its never needed for the new range of low-cost web-booking only airlines-they dont oversell.

Its never needed for the new range of low-cost web-booking only airlines-they dont oversell.

The issue with the low-cost airlines is they (generally) don't refund. They couldn't care less whether you show up for the flight you paid for. They already have their money, they're not giving it back, they're not putting you on a later flight because you missed today's departure.

No need once it's booked it's booked. :o

OFF COURSE there are still airlines where it is mandatory to re-confirm your seats for the return flight. one of those flying to and out of BKK is KUWAIT AIRWAYS, for example.