Free Tourist Visas Between March 5 And June 4, 2009

IanForbes, you could manage that with a double-entry tourist visa and only one border run, because for each entry, for which you get permission to stay for 60 days, your can get a 30-day extension at the local immigration office.

--

Maestro

what is the source of this info please :o

Getting 30 day extensions of a tourist visa entry is done every opening day at immigration by many.

Clause 2.4 of this police order. police_order_2008.pdf

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has everyone forgotten the amazing move the government did recently to change the entry stamp from 30 days to 15 days - the free tourists visa is a nice gesture but by no way does it help tourists that are traveling in Asia, entering by a land border. My own parents, who live 8 hours from a Thai consulate in their home country and thus cannot easily apply for a Tourist Visa, now have to go to the Myanmar border every 14 days. I still cant believe the government thought this was a good move in a tourist crisis. Anyone still upset by this move please continue to make your views known via the press or writing directly to the Thai government.

Free tourist visas between March 5 and June 4, 2009

BANGKOK: -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications for a three month period, effective 5 March, 2009 to 4 June, 2009.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designed checkpoints, will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E.2552 (2009).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Tourism Authority of Thailand 2009-02-27

http://www.tatnews.org/latest_update/detail.asp?id=4235

Please excuse my ignorance, but am I confusing Visa on Arrival with a border hop? Does this mean I can hop over the border for free until they change the rules again, or is a border hop a TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION (http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490) [ and can someone tell me what that costs ]?

I am trying to advise my sister-in-law in Naratiwat, who has been told she must do 15-day border runs now, instead of getting a proper tourist visa, and that advice was before this present freebee.

- Roger -

Please excuse my ignorance, but am I confusing Visa on Arrival with a border hop? Does this mean I can hop over the border for free until they change the rules again, or is a border hop a TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION (http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490) [ and can someone tell me what that costs ]?

I am trying to advise my sister-in-law in Naratiwat, who has been told she must do 15-day border runs now, instead of getting a proper tourist visa, and that advice was before this present freebee.

- Roger -

A visa on arrival is only for people from certain countries who can apply for a visa when they arrive and get a 15 day entry.

I think you are talking about a visa exempt entry that gets 15 days at the border.

If she is in Narathiwat she could go to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu and get a tourist visa (1 or 2 entry).

There is even a company that is doing same day visa runs to there from Narathiwat.

See this webpage: http://www.traveller2000.com/visa_run.htm

- Roger -

A visa on arrival is only for people from certain countries who can apply for a visa when they arrive and get a 15 day entry.

I think you are talking about a visa exempt entry that gets 15 days at the border.

If she is in Narathiwat she could go to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu and get a tourist visa (1 or 2 entry).

There is even a company that is doing same day visa runs to there from Narathiwat.

See this webpage: http://www.traveller2000.com/visa_run.htm

Thank you.

She had previously been going to the Thai consulate in Kota Bharu and getting a tourist visa, and was surprised, and alarmed, by this advice that she should now have to do border runs. And, can you tell me how much a visa exempt entry entry costs, please. I had heard it was ฿2400.

- Roger -

The Thai Government are like Thai girls they don't want long stayers with no money they want short stayers with lots of money

He He He Best one yet - :o:D :D

Seriously, I went to the Thai Consulate here in Caracas, they gave me a Free Three Month, Multiple Entry & Exit, I just told them I liked staying in Thailand but would like to visit other countries close by. It was a load of kah kah but she just smiled and said "Welcome Home"

be there in April.................

As with most things that this government is doing, the action might sound sympathetic but in the en it is opportunistic at best. If you want to attract tourists why do they need to get to a visa office, an embassy or a consultate. Just give them a three month stamp on arrival. No hassle, people can leave the same day. It is a bit like the economic stimulus package. Raising petrol prices with 5 baht including vat and complaining that the car industry is having a bad time.

But than again the ruling people want to benefit but at the same time they want to enforce a kind of police state regime.

you bone head.They don't want a bumch of criminals showing up at their doors.That's what a visa is for.To check criiminal records etc........ :o

Check criminal records eh???

My best guess is "it's a money making thing" :D (to pay salaries of consular people, rent, travel not to forget the perks: big car for the boss etc)

Seriously, I went to the Thai Consulate here in Caracas, they gave me a Free Three Month, Multiple Entry & Exit, I just told them I liked staying in Thailand but would like to visit other countries close by. It was a load of kah kah but she just smiled and said "Welcome Home"

Can you explain please. I for one haven't a clue as to what you are refering to.

how about something to put a smile on the faces of the people who are here long term, add to the local economy and pay taxes?

as usual the only gifts we get are more stringent rules.

good point there.

i put over 4 million baht into the Thai economy last year feeding clothing and housing my wife's family, friends, etc lol

Sir

I urge you write to the Prime Minister of Thailand and ask him to do something about the Visa and pay more fee for it. ( 3 to 9 months ) I am sure the Prime Minister will listen. Right now the political climate is not very good but, you need to state about your family, friends and foreigners' well being. It is economy and helping hand. Common Sense that you need to inject. I am sure you get some where. My heart and soul feel for all who love to live in Thailand while I am happy in America. Good Luck and enjoy your stay. My take and opinion.

I do not know how many years I visited Thailand with a EU passport which upon arrival got automatically a stamp in the passport authorising a stay of 3 months : this was the rule at least from the early 1980ies until mid 1990 ies. To re-instate this would be more simple because in large countries potential tourists sometimes live many hundred kilometers from the closest Thai Embassy or Consulate.

This is not going to change that in any way. This is for people who need a visa before travel, or visa on arrival. If you come from a country in the EU or the myriad of other countries who don't need a visa it won't effect you, business as usual.

Free tourist visas between March 5 and June 4, 2009

BANGKOK: -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications for a three month period, effective 5 March, 2009 to 4 June, 2009.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designed checkpoints, will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 5 March to 4 June B.E.2552 (2009).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Tourism Authority of Thailand 2009-02-27

http://www.tatnews.org/latest_update/detail.asp?id=4235

oh yes thats going to fill the empty hotels and create jobs---NOT.maybe the drink campain will work--NOT,maybe pigs will fly --NOT,the free entry to national parks?NOT

nothing rational and benificial will ever get done here unless its a ferang idea.

useful ideas in thailand only come from farangs? yeah. like dating whores and pretending its love. like moaning about thailand all the time but staying. like moaning about corruption and greed then indulging in illegal vice and drugs. like going on about how thai people are all only after money then marrying a prostitute. like only thinking about what you can get from thailand not what you can give. like treating thai people like second class citizens and servants in their own country. these are all really useful ideas that have come from farangs. buck up your racist ideas.

That is a very symbolic effort. Lets get something real, like 5 years retirement visa and landownership.

I heard from a friend that you can now own 1.5 ha of land in the Philippine (I am not sure about the details).

Robert

good joke sorensen :D ...show me any other country with the same rules like here in LOS :D Costa Rica, for example, ...put 50.000 USD on a bank and you get 5 years residentia, without the hassle to renew all the shit every single year. Change the 50k USD in 5 years to Costa Rican currency (which is not very difficult as we all have to live) and you get a PERMANENT Residencia for FREE......after 10 years you even can apply for a Costa Rican Passport and citizenship......how many years you have to be married to a Thai or living in Thailand to have something similar ??

btw, as far as I know it is allowed for foreigners to own land in Malaysia, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia etc. etc........do you notice something? :o

You do have a point even if put offensively. But these are the two extremes. There are many people who live here, happily married not complaining but who would like a little easing of the visa rules. especially after getting marriage or retirement visas you would think that 5 yearly checkups would be enough, just link the visa system so that if someone gets divorced it is flagged up and you have perhaps one year to decide your future (get remarried or not). Anyway IMHO a little more tolerance is needed in some of these chats.

useful ideas in thailand only come from farangs? yeah. like dating whores and pretending its love. like moaning about thailand all the time but staying. like moaning about corruption and greed then indulging in illegal vice and drugs. like going on about how thai people are all only after money then marrying a prostitute. like only thinking about what you can get from thailand not what you can give. like treating thai people like second class citizens and servants in their own country. these are all really useful ideas that have come from farangs. buck up your racist ideas.

This will have zero effect on the number of visitors to Thailand.

Of course it won't have an effect when in any case most of tourists coming here are from countries that do not even require a visa if they are to stay less than 30 days .....Canada, Usa, Uk, most European Countries ...etc.....

so what's with the FREE VISA .....???

Of course it won't have an effect when in any case most of tourists coming here are from countries that do not even require a visa if they are to stay less than 30 days .....Canada, Usa, Uk, most European Countries ...etc.....

I'm from Canada and 30 days is not enough for me,as I usually come for 2 months twice a year.(My wife is "stuck" in Thailand waiting for the marriage visa which takes forever,"thanks" in large part to scammers and human trafficker criminal organizations.Canada cancelled its fiancee visa in 2003 thanks to the same folks,bastions of human morality not.At least they still have that option in the UK and US: they are lucky fellows and they don't even realize it.)

The Thai consulate is in downtown Vancouver,and an hours drive for me one way but there is virtually no parking in the area.You can leave your passport and they will mail it back by registered mail(cost 1200 B for the mailing),or you can come back again in a few days to get the passport with the 60 day visa.It would be nice to get the stamp in BKK at the airport,but the 1200 B pays for the gas (or the mail service) for those one or two trips downtown,my bpen rai,my sabaii nit noi khrap,haha.

OH hel_l NO PLEASE free Visa? Do we not have enough scumbags here already? I am tired of more low level tourists which come here only for the cheap beer, cheep sex and free food on every birthdaylparty on a beerbar. People which dont respect Thailand and its customs, people which runnig without t-shirts in supermarkets and with a bra only in temples. NO PLEASE....the Visarules are definetely ok for the incoming Aliens BUT they are not ok for normal married people who living here since more than ten years. I am not talking about people who marry a bargirl only and do nothing else as they did before

Immigration should make its decisions from case to case....

An air ticket from Europe cost some 50.000 THB and a visa cost some 1.200 THB???

Tipically in Europe we pay with EURO-except for some islanders there.

tickets/return to BKK from most Euro cities sell for/from 450 EUR now-even lower from the UK. thats less as half what you quote

the cost for the 60-day tourist visa is moistly 30, sometimes 25 eur-thats higher/lower as the 1200 THB

Does this mean one can apply at an Embassy for a Single 3 month Visa? I have been here for 4 months on a 6 month multiple entry and my last 2 months are requiring a stamp. I would prefer to take an option that gives me the most time here and I am going to Penang anyways..what do you think? :o

A single 60 day tourist visa only. A 30 day extension may be granted for a 1900 baht fee.

I have the last stamp to be done on a 6 month visa. Which is only 2 months. I am wondering if they will give me the 3 month single entry if I request it?..any ideas

A single entry is for 60 days. If you apply for another Visa any unused Visa you have will be cancelled.

I am thinking that they might put a restriction on this about free at "home country" Thai embassy or something. Like someone else asked before, any idea if this will be good at Vientiene? Personally, I work in Korea and come and get Thai visas twice a year for two long vacations. I hope I don't show up there at the Thai embassy in Korea and get told that it is only free for Koreans at that embassy.

I know that the initial press report does not state any restrictions, but still, I hope to hear that this applies to "any nationality at any Thai Embassy" before getting happy at all ($30 worth of happiness) about this.

Thanks

That is a very symbolic effort. Lets get something real, like 5 years retirement visa and landownership.

I heard from a friend that you can now own 1.5 ha of land in the Philippine (I am not sure about the details).

Robert

I work in the Philippines the place is a Dump and the corruption twice as bad.the roads are bad and it takes for ever to a few km. i would be back to Thailand tomorrow.

At least somebody tells the truth about Philippines...

So, others should stop wondering why Thailand is not as easy as Phil: because nobody with a brain wants to live there! (not even Filipinos whom I know)

i may sound a little stupid in asking this question, but pls bear with me. i intend to visit next month for a couple of months, and so as before i was intending to visit the thai consulate in london to apply for a 2 month visa, expecting to pay the fee of £28. does the new initiative mean then that i will be able to apply and receive my 2 month visa without paying the fee?? or am i missing some obscure info that will still require i cough up with the fee?

I wonder if this is in affect for double entry tourist visa's as well....

Re-read the OP. It said "Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only."

As EU citicien I dont pay anyway for single entry Visa !

So where is ther the goal ?

I think Cineeeese are paying for visas ?

and russians to Pathaya ??

I wonder if this is in affect for double entry tourist visa's as well....

Re-read the OP. It said "Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only."

As EU citicien I dont pay anyway for single entry Visa !

So where is ther the goal ?

I think Cineeeese are paying for visas ?

and russians to Pathaya ??

As a EU Citizen you normally have to pay for a single entry tourist visa.

You do not pay for a visa exempt entry.

i may sound a little stupid in asking this question, but pls bear with me. i intend to visit next month for a couple of months, and so as before i was intending to visit the thai consulate in london to apply for a 2 month visa, expecting to pay the fee of £28. does the new initiative mean then that i will be able to apply and receive my 2 month visa without paying the fee?? or am i missing some obscure info that will still require i cough up with the fee?

You still have to apply , but there will be no fee for a single entry tourist visa.

You still have to apply , but there will be no fee for a single entry tourist visa.

I wonder only if this "new" regulation is generally accepted for ALL Aliens, in ALL Embassys of Thailand Worldwide, or only for Germans in Germany, Malaysians in KL, Penang or elsewhere in Malaysia.......does it definitively say that Europeans or Americans can apply for the 60 day visa in another country as their own, without paying the normal fee?