What Will Become Of Pattaya

OZEMADE

Now that the Thai Government has admitted that the world economy is worse than they expected and that it will probably be worse in Thailand than the 1997 crash and no improvement in sight for at least 3 years.

The Russian tourists are down 80%, the bike week has finished, the U.S. Navy and Marines have gone, the LPGA Golf is over and it is the end of an alleged high season where staff are being laid off everywhere in Pattaya. :o Seems we are in for a long hard stretch.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Thai Government has admitted that the world economy is worse than they expected and that it will probably be worse in Thailand than the 1997 crash and no improvement in sight for at least 3 years.

The Russian tourists are down 80%, the bike week has finished, the U.S. Navy and Marines have gone, the LPGA Golf is over and it is the end of an alleged high season where staff are being laid off everywhere in Pattaya. :o Seems we are in for a long hard stretch.

Russian tourism is down 80%? Nah...I'll bite my tongue and try to be nice today.

But seriously, you mentioned a worse comparison to the 1997 currency crash. Is it projected that the baht will go down substantially in value?

I've been regulary transferring money back to my country of origin. (Mainly because I could never get a Thai bank to give me interest, and I fiigured it wasn't quite right that I should let them use it to make profit when they give me nothing in return -- somewhat a matter of principle, I guess.)

am sure pattaya will be fine,the council want to make it more family friendly so maybe over time the beer bars between beach road and second road may be made to go and push back towards third road,leave walkin st. alone probably.but in my opinion these go go bars and bear bars should have better licencing hours and in return should be made to upgrade their facilities so that they do not remain a "hole in the wall"

am sure pattaya will be fine,the council want to make it more family friendly so maybe over time the beer bars between beach road and second road may be made to go and push back towards third road,leave walkin st. alone probably.but in my opinion these go go bars and bear bars should have better licencing hours and in return should be made to upgrade their facilities so that they do not remain a "hole in the wall"

They've been saying they are going to do this for the past twenty years to my knowledge. As it is all that has happened is that more, not less, beer bars have opened along beach road.

As to the OP's question "What will become of Pattaya?"

Answer : Nothing much will change, sure some businesses will go but the general theme of the place will continue. As for becoming family friendly what's the point? They are exactly the people most affected by the economic downturn so they will be the dwindling numbers. Pattaya came through the '97 crash pretty much unscathed and I'm sure it will weather this storm too.

There's a whole lot of 'special interests' that would need paying off before Pattaya does any marked transformation to this much touted family-oriented resort. The most telling proof is the fact that the properties built on the sea-ward side of WS are all illegal constructions and have been such since day one but are allowed to change hands, rebuild and remodel. How can rezoning of the beer bar and red-light areas be practical if the rather tawdry 'crown-jewel' is itself centered on illegal constructions?

Hence the slow development and pie-in-the-sky wishes will prevail through and beyond the recession. It serves someone's need in it's present form so the model won't be messed with too much IMHO.

Pattaya suffered little in the crash of 97 IMO, there was little here then to suffer, there were no hyper centres or large supermarkets, very few housing estates with any quality, Russian tourism was minimal, in truth tourism was pretty minimal! The last 10+ years have seen a huge change in Pattaya, some for the better, now would be the ideal time to catch up on the neglected infrastructure, doubt it will happen though!

Pattaya suffered little in the crash of 97 IMO, there was little here then to suffer, there were no hyper centres or large supermarkets, very few housing estates with any quality, Russian tourism was minimal, in truth tourism was pretty minimal! The last 10+ years have seen a huge change in Pattaya, some for the better, now would be the ideal time to catch up on the neglected infrastructure, doubt it will happen though!

There was Lotus(just opened that year), Big C, Best, Friendship, Foodland. There were already quite a few housing estates( granted not many as now but quite a few spread out from Naklua to Nong Chep tao). Russian tourism was present and they took a liking to the Cosy Beach to Pattaya Park area, the beach vendors had signs in Russian already. Tourism hit a downturn however the immigration that year had a special...were one could enter on a tourist visa one entry and extend it locally for one month(6 times=6 months then must renew visa). The exchange rate was favourable and that incited people to "discover Thailand" or stay longer and stretch out the funds. Investment wise, it was a very good year for buying condos(shells) in Jomtien which Bangkok people had bought on mortgage. Agreed Pattaya has changed enormously in the last 10 yrs, but the gloomy picture you depict of Pattaya was not what I encountered.

Lat's see

1. the Thai Baht is to strong and Thailand being one of the lagest exporters of rice in the world. Others will seek to buy their rice elsewhere.Slightly off topic but relevent read on.

2.Airport Fiasco will discourage tourism (shooting oneself in the foot is a good analogy)

3.Buying power of foreign currencies dropping by one third.

4.The Thai habit of losing customers, up the prices (profit). Most businesses would drop prices to encourage custom.

5.Other places in SE asia being more competative. (cheaper).

6.Due to the strenght of the Baht Thailand isn't cheap anymoree.g. Burgerking and subway cheaper in OZ.(don't eat Thaifood- to spicey

7.Better beaches elsewhere

CONCLUSION- Unless there is a devalueation of the Baht Pattaya will suffer.As will all of Thailand

Just my 2 bahts worth

lilBob

^ Gloomy? I much preferred the old Pattaya, there were parking spaces back then! Even on the street of shame! Traffic jams were unheard off....

The exchange rates were excellent, the golf courses were empty, the Russians used to come on flights to Utapao in far smaller numbers than we see now.

The population of Pattaya must have at least doubled since then?

It ain't gonna happen, EVER...unfortunately, of course

The long term prognosis is poor as it is overpriced without giving anything back in return. So speaks someone with businesses there (most sold off in last 18 months). As someone stated, Burger King and Subway are cheaper in the west. That is just ridiculous.

I think this will be the biggest problem Thailand has to overcome, it's not cheap here any more, and there is very little quality!

Whatever happens, Pattaya will continue to attract an ecclectic mix of clientele.

It will also continue to have the potential to be either one of the best or worst places on the planet, depending upon you and how much money you have.

I dont know what June /July will be like when i go back,but i will have to be more careful with my spending this time.

Hopefully customer service will improve due to the downturn.

1000 baht is around $46.00 australian now so things are not as cheap.

I am thinking of cutting down my trip to maybe 2 weeks instead of 5 weeks.

Because of the recession,my overtime at work has been cut out ,however i still want to go to Pattaya,so i will have to make some concessions.

I will cut some of my spending right out that i use to buy a lot of,for eg,T Shirts ,now cheaper in Australia and shoes and a lot of other stuff that i use to buy a lot of to bring back to Australia.

Hopefully the downturn will close those businesses who in the past had poor customer service and just relied on tourists rather than repeat customers .

It could well all be for the good in the long run.

As the worldwide recession is just beginning to hit Thailand, causing redundancy and unemployment crime and drug use will increase.

So far crimes against farang have mainly been cowardly attacks such as handbag/gold snatches. Plus the mugging of women or elderley farang men or lone drunken men.

I expect that during the next two years, crime will rise exponentially and become more violent. Gangs of Thai men will commit more armed robberies, more violent burglaries, street crime muggings will increase at night, then as things escalate there will be some fatal attacks on farang tourists and publicity of these attacks will create a bad image for Pattaya.

At that point, Pattaya law enforcement might try to clean up the streets of young drug crazed Thai men who's only aim in life are drink, sex, drugs and crime.

I think the next two years will be very grim for Pattaya crime-wise. Although local news agencies are gagged to just two crimes per day 'against farang' it is unlikely that they will be able to supress crimes of murder and/or extreme violence.

I think that the quality of female 'company' will become more corrupt. I expect more druggings and robbery, egged-on by their Thai husbands/boyfriends.

I also expect a massive rise in the amount of drugs available. China (itself in recession) will flood thailand with amphetimines and 'ice' which is cheaply made in chemical factories. In times of financial hardship illegal drug use increases.

So a bleak outlook. Thanks for asking.

I agree with many posters here. The well run businesses in good locations will stay in operation and the poorly run ones will fail. It's always been that way and likely always will. I can't see anyone killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Pattaya has been the best little whore house in the world and likely always will be. There is nowhere else like it, with the possible exception of a distant running Angeles City in the Philippines. Despite glossing it over with BS advertising, Pattaya was built on sex tourism and that basically pays the freight. The many bars and massage parlours provide a valuable service to the many people who visit them. Even when the tourism is supposedly down drastically, there STILL seems to be many people wandering about at all hours of the day and night.

I admire the optimism of those who have no idea about business in Pattaya, would not or could not do business there etc. to speak as if they had a crystal ball. Utter rubbish I'm afraid.

I've been through this before in Mallorca. Originally it was cheap, people only ever went to Europe, it was hot, loads of girls went so sex was on the table and food and beer were cheap. Over the years prices went up substantially until it was more expensive than back home. Eventually the premium for sex and hot weather was not worth it and the far East beckoned. Now they have screwed it up.

However, the main thing is that most small businesses are not sufficiently capitalised to purchase the building or buy a long lease. Thus, landlords have raised rents so far that they cripple businesses. I know, I know what I was paying in some places.

Attitudes suck these days with exceptions. Girls are far more mercenary. They think their shit don't stink.

So please tell me just why I would come to Pattaya ? There is familiarity I know but that aside and after the sex, there is very little.

With prices going up and up the rationale will dictate that sex tourists move onto other places. I can tell you that it is already happening. Current volumes are the result of pre planned trips. Future trips have to be planned and funder in a new economic climate and people will start to look for more value for their money and other places are now offering that value for money.

Russian tourism is down 80%? Nah...I'll bite my tongue and try to be nice today.

But seriously, you mentioned a worse comparison to the 1997 currency crash. Is it projected that the baht will go down substantially in value?

I've been regulary transferring money back to my country of origin. (Mainly because I could never get a Thai bank to give me interest, and I fiigured it wasn't quite right that I should let them use it to make profit when they give me nothing in return -- somewhat a matter of principle, I guess.)

This was the case now and before, so why bring money to Thailand?

was this money from the sale of a house/condo?

i only leave very small amounts of money in thai banks. 500,000 baht max at any time.

just in case.

Edited by plasticpig

I cant really see it affecting the sex trade, there are always people willing to pay for that, irrespective of the price (just a pulse is just required)

It is actualy cheapoer to go to Europe these days (even with the lousy Euro) There are better deals than in Thailand (and Pattaya)

I have been going there for 10 odd years, twice a year, and NOTHING changes, except the prices, walking street, just the faces change

I used to bring lots of stuff back, tee shirts, jeans, suits, trousers, shirts, but now I can get them cheaper at home

The air fares are atrocious, far too expensive, and that will be the biggest stumbling block for any tourist or anyone wanting to come to Thailand, Hotels, well you can get any deal you want

Food isnt any cheaper than at home (a meal for two) Street food is pretty much stable anyway

I think if tourism drops off there will be an increase in crime, drugs,

But nothing really ever changes in Pattaya, it just gets dirtier,

I miss the old Pattaya I knew when I first came there, people were a lot more friendleir, and went out of their way to be 'nicer' now its take, take, take and scarcely a smile (LOS= Land of Scowls) these days

I havent lost any income due toi this recession (peoplwe will always need a plumber) but I cant see myself coming back to Pattaya until the rate is better and I cant see that happening anytime soon

I cant really see it affecting the sex trade, there are always people willing to pay for that, irrespective of the price (just a pulse is just required)

It is actualy cheapoer to go to Europe these days (even with the lousy Euro) There are better deals than in Thailand (and Pattaya)

I have been going there for 10 odd years, twice a year, and NOTHING changes, except the prices, walking street, just the faces change

I used to bring lots of stuff back, tee shirts, jeans, suits, trousers, shirts, but now I can get them cheaper at home

The air fares are atrocious, far too expensive, and that will be the biggest stumbling block for any tourist or anyone wanting to come to Thailand, Hotels, well you can get any deal you want

Food isnt any cheaper than at home (a meal for two) Street food is pretty much stable anyway

I think if tourism drops off there will be an increase in crime, drugs,

But nothing really ever changes in Pattaya, it just gets dirtier,

I miss the old Pattaya I knew when I first came there, people were a lot more friendleir, and went out of their way to be 'nicer' now its take, take, take and scarcely a smile (LOS= Land of Scowls) these days

I havent lost any income due toi this recession (peoplwe will always need a plumber) but I cant see myself coming back to Pattaya until the rate is better and I cant see that happening anytime soon

Genesis 19:24

Whatever happens, Pattaya will continue to attract an ecclectic mix of clientele.

It will also continue to have the potential to be either one of the best or worst places on the planet, depending upon you and how much money you have.

the smart people are going to sihonoukville cambodia........................Pattays 20 years ago!!!! :o

Genesis 19:24
Huh ????

As a devil worshipper I have no idea what you are on about

and Jehovah hath rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens;

Oy vey!

I've often thought that Jomtien and pattaya could qualify as a modern day comparision. :o

Don't think much will change at all......T Shirts , Flip Flops (50 - 90 baht 9 months ago & now 250 - 350 baht ) etc are all cheaper in Oz than Pattaya & Phuket along with an abundance of other goods , such as Vitamins , Calcium Tablets , etc. Even my wifes hairdresser wanted $1500 2 days ago but charged $800 3 months ago. We bought Thai made Shirts in Cambodia for half the price of Pattaya last week.

I believe , there is already less spending , that combined with the devaluation of the Oz $ , USD , etc against the Baht has already seen a slow down & the big crunch is yet to come. Know a group several acquaintenances coming for 5 weeks in August have dropped the time to 3 weeks , due to rising costs here from when they were here last year

A couple of acquaintenances here in 97 stayed on & in one day bought multiple properties , vehicles etc that previously were out of reach. They are still here & well retired. Disposed of the excess holdings some years later for a Very ,Very tidy profit.

Don't know that it will be as big a crash as 97 , but , while vested interests desperately keep trying to keep the news "Up" most are slowing down. For instance how can Condo sale figures be accepted as real as many of the current payments stem from pre-sales , some back as far as 2006.

Irregardless , I still think that the only real change will be ownership of Businesses , downsizing etc & less of them for a while. Patts will always keep on keeping on. IMO

:o

Well without slagging Pattaya, many many things have changed over the last 20 years & not for the better either. I can imagine that this progress will continue, as it does everywhere & in another 20 years the place will be even more dirtier & congested than it is now. Its a shame to see this but anyone that can't see this downhill slide, is obviously blind.