Affidavit Of Support Usa

riley76

:D calling amricans , and fellow members . :o This post is in responce to a request for help from a friend in America. Via the forum, Has any American run into this problem? that

the Embassy would not accept a 'co sponser' for the affidavit of support. [for i assume a thai national]

so he asked if there were any solutions to solve this refusal. thanks guys and gals riley 76 :D

I am not 100% sure I understand the question.

The sponsor must meet the above poverty level

so that would take in to account his dependents and financial status.

A sponsonsorship is a risk that you must understand is not suited for all.

It is one thing making a relationship work let alone a sponsorship.

But I do know sometimes this is necessary.

Department of homeland security website has the forms and the sponsorship worksheets

to determine elgibility.

Be more specific.

There should be a I 797c Rejection notice

contact that number listed and start asking questions from there.

good luck

I just went thru a k-1 visa process

I think they can choose to reject a joint sponsor's I-864, but maybe the person should contact a legal representative (not one of these "legal visa services" that DO NOT provide legal representation.)

If they don't accept a joint sponsor, someone with the same principal residence as the petitioner, if available, will fill out an I-864A and then the petitioner could claim that income in addition to his or her own when filling their person I-864.

Its difficult for a lot of people living here in Thailand to meet 125% of the poverty guideline on a Teachers salary or whatever.

If the person is young with hardly any assets, it gets more difficult.

Did they receive notice of the rejection, any reason given?

Edited by Digitalman

It is my understand only a US job, or job working for a US agency overseas can be used for the affidavit of support. Any type of Thailand based job other than at a US embassy would not be accepted because after all you are going to be living in the USA according to your desire to have a US visa so an overseas job isn't going to be very useful to support each other in the US.

As far as a sponsor it is just a matter of them signing the form and meeting the qualifications. Any rejection likely stems from them not meeting the qualifications or not filing out the forms right.

Generally speaking you have to earn enough money to bring (support) someone (in) to the USA. As I recall when my wife came to the USA I had to show a minimum of like $15,000 per which is quite weak as I see it, I make more than that in Thailand! I'm sure with the current financial crisis in the US the minimum has gone up but the average American in come is $17,428. so it shouldn't be more than that.