Clear Spring Or Lake In Or Around Chaing Mai

FarangCravings

Does anyone know of a body of CLEAR water such as a, lake, spring or reservoir within a few hours drive of Chaing Mai

looking for a crystal clear spring or lake

anyone ????

The cleanest water I have ever seen in North Thai is what gushes out of the Nam Lu spring

19859028_yNXFF-M.jpg

near Tubtao caves, just south of Fang; & part of the brilliant Doi Ang Khang Loop from Chiang Mai.

In the pic above the water looks still, but believe me it is gushing out into a stream.

Another good spring is the Jed Pee Nong Spring

MaeKuangDam005.jpg

(photo from Pikey)

that feeds the

Buatong waterfall

19708225-M.jpg

just up the Phrao road R1001.

Check out the Buatong waterfall & Mae Ngat Dam here.

Both these places are on the GT Rider Golden Triangle Loop map.

There's NO swimming in either of the springs though, if your looking for a swim. You can have a splash around at the Buatong falls, although there's probably not much water flowing at the moment; & my guess the same for Nam Lu. Nam Lu is a really huge hole though, so maybe it is still flowing "fast" even in the dry.

Buatong waterfall is flowing nicely. Was there on a ride two weeks ago. I don't think the Jed Pee Nong Spring ever slows down as the ground water stays pretty consistant. I enjoy a drink from the pool whenever I go there.

Edited by Sojourner

Buatong waterfall is flowing nicely. Was there on a ride two weeks ago. I don't think the Jed Pee Nong Spring ever slows down as the ground water stays pretty consistant. I enjoy a drink from the pool whenever I go there.

Actually looking to scuba dive so those wont work looking for deeper places that I could dive

There was some cave diving going on past Pai some years ago. Although I did a lot of cave diving in the Mt. Gambier region of South Australia many years ago, I have never done it here. David GTR can, no doubt, give more info on this.

Huay thung thaw resevoir is a nice, clean place to take a swim.

lake1a.jpg

Ajarn, is the reservoir and the lake one and the same or is the reservoir something different? I've been to the lake a couple of times but it certainly doesn't look like a "nice, clean place to take a swim." Also there are snakes in the lake.

BTW, beautiful photo that you posted.

Reservoir and lake are the same.

People have different interpretations of clean; there are no houses or villages bordering the lake, there is no waste water going into it.. Just rain water and run-off from the hills. However some (many) people would include 'sand and mud' as a substance that can make something not clean. I'm not one of those people. Note: It's a lake. Lakes come with mud, and fish, and wildlife. Nothing wrong with people who don't fancy that, for those people invented swimming pools, and God created chlorine; so no need to despair.

As for snakes, the lake can't be too dirty cannit otherwise snakes wouldn't fancy it. :o Anyway I've seen snakes on the non-swimming side of the lake. Strange as it may seem, snakes aren't actually that fond of people splattering around in the water and will steer clear of the swimming side of the lake..

So anyway, not being the mysophobic type, my kid swims in it quite happily, and I was happy to note a nice breeze out there yesterday! It's the closest thing we have to a beach.. (Even some sandy patches along the shore on the 'swimming' side of the lake :D )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

lake1a.jpg

Ajarn, is the reservoir and the lake one and the same or is the reservoir something different? I've been to the lake a couple of times but it certainly doesn't look like a "nice, clean place to take a swim." Also there are snakes in the lake.

There probably are snakes in the lake, but I have never seen one in 20+ years, nor has anyone else I know. It is a nice, clean place to swim :o

By the way, I also need to submit Ob Khan Gorge & National Park as a great place for a swim. ( As a disclaimer though: won't do for Scuba, the water's flowing too fast fast for comfort after rains, and sand and mud is present, especially in the rainy season )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Reservoir and lake are the same.

People have different interpretations of clean; there are no houses or villages bordering the lake, there is no waste water going into it.. Just rain water and run-off from the hills. However some (many) people would include 'sand and mud' as a substance that can make something not clean. I'm not one of those people. Note: It's a lake. Lakes come with mud, and fish, and wildlife. Nothing wrong with people who don't fancy that, for those people invented swimming pools, and God created chlorine; so no need to despair.

As for snakes, the lake can't be too dirty cannit otherwise snakes wouldn't fancy it. :o Anyway I've seen snakes on the non-swimming side of the lake. Strange as it may seem, snakes aren't actually that fond of people splattering around in the water and will steer clear of the swimming side of the lake..

So anyway, not being the mysophobic type, my kid swims in it quite happily, and I was happy to note a nice breeze out there yesterday! It's the closest thing we have to a beach.. (Even some sandy patches along the shore on the 'swimming' side of the lake :D )

Thanks for clearing that up. I agree, its nice there. But I have hesitated to swim there even though I've seen a lot of kids swimming.

Wow that looks nice.. There are a few places in Mae Hong Son province I have seen, but getting there in a car is worse than shooting yourself.

I really like Sirikrit Dam in Uttaradit province as well.. Golf course is good there too..

Sirikit reservoir is anything but clear. You can barely see the bottom in a meter of water. I've been there many times on fishing trips and have traveled the whole lake. It's fairly clean for a swim if you get away from the floating villages, but the water isn't clear.

The same is true for Mae Ngat reservoir. Mae Ngat is quite beautiful, but the water is murky.

However, there ARE some clear mountain streams within a few hours of Chiang Mai, but no clear reservoirs. Virtually ALL rivers and creeks in Thailand have dams on them if it is at all possible...

Maewang waterfall

Maewang_waterfall.sized.jpg

A typical semi-clear mountain stream

River_Rafting_2_Em.jpg

Treking_4.jpg

lake1a.jpg

There probably are snakes in the lake, but I have never seen one in 20+ years, nor has anyone else I know. It is a nice, clean place to swim :o

Great place to swim. No snakes ever bothered me.