Canadian Coming To Thailand.......help & Visa :-))

Hello All!

My name is Curtis, I'm 22 years old from a small town near Edmonton in Canada.

I know this has come up--but the answer still isn't completely clear to me-so please forgive me as I'm a slow learner (so a good thing I likely will not be teachingrock.gif)

It's about visa's. I will be staying for 6 months. Arriving in LOS late March & staying until late August. I know I can come, passport in hand and stay 90 days without any questions. But the next 90......I'm not too sure about. Is my only option border runs every 15 days??

The thing is, I can't really send my passport to the Thai embassy in Canada to get clearance since I plan on leaving around the 18th of March - and knowing how long these places take my passport will not arrive until after my departure date. Is it possible/easy enough to just show up in Thailand with my passport and stay 6 months???

I do not require any teaching visas---Just extended holiday type deals. I am coming to Thailand to study on my own, write some papers for University admission and to experience a different culture. I figured the price of living is so much cheaper in LOS that I may as well live their if I am studying for 6 months rather than in freezing cold Canada.

I am also attending a course in Taoist tai chi practice (Mantak Chia). I hear if you have something like this it helps with the visa application stuff (which I hope to skip anyway)

I do have a few other questions---plenty have been answered by browsing these forums already-this place is so rich in information it's unbelievable!

But this question is most pressing, So any help with this would be greatly appretiated.

Thank-you

As I wait for your reply, I appretiatingly play you this ambiant melody pityparty.gif ....(kissass.gif)

You can not stay 90 days without a question. Without a visa you would only get 30 days. If you want to stay for 6 months you should apply for a double entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate. This will allow you 2 entries into Thailand for 60 day's each. However each entry can be extended by 30 days for 1,900 baht. Giving you 180 days.

You need a Visa to board the flight unless you have an Air Ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days of arrival. There is a chance that the ailine will not let you on the flight.

If you did manage to arrive in Thailand without a Visa the most you would get is 30 days entry.

Once here it is easy to go to neighbouring countries and get Tourist Visas.

So you really do need a Visa before leaving.

There is a Thai consulate in Edmonton.

>Consulate of Thailand in Edmonton, Canada

10140 - 117 Street,, Suite 200 A

Edmonton

Alberta T5K 1X3

Canada

City: Edmonton

Phone: (+1) (780) 439-3576

Fax: (+1) (780) 452-1610

Go there and get a double entry tourist visa. You should have it overnight. Easiest / cheapest way to stay 180 days.

Send your visa application by courier to the Thai Consulate in Vancouver - they will process it either the same day or next day and courier back to you right away, so you have sufficient time now... I dealt with them last November getting mine and they were very fast turnaround. Although on the return, my passport/visa disappeared in the Vancouver post office for almost a week, but turned up eventually before my departure date, and this appeared to be no fault of the Thai consulate - Canada Post lost track of it temporarily...

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/