Sterling Bank Draft

Anyone can tell me, if and where can I get a Sterling bank Draft. I need to send it to UK for pay off my pension, they require the money is in sterling and the correct amount with no charges to them.

I am in Chiang mai district, some say Bangkok Bank, please advise thanks

Anyone can tell me, if and where can I get a Sterling bank Draft. I need to send it to UK for pay off my pension, they require the money is in sterling and the correct amount with no charges to them.

Correct, larger branches of Bangkok Bank sell Sterling drafts drawn on BB London, clearing time of the draft is three days once recieved in London. Just curious, is the checque going to the Customs and Revenue folks to pay off previous NI contributions?

Edited by chiang mai

Correct, larger branches of Bangkok Bank sell Sterling drafts drawn on BB London, clearing time of the draft is three days once recieved in London. Just curious, is the checque going to the Customs and Revenue folks to pay off previous NI contributions?

Yes Back Pay unpaid years, I hope to get a full pension in a few years

I'm doing something similar and had considered using BB Cashiers cheques for payment but am concerned that the canceled cheque is not returned to the buyer once cashed - that means I don not have proof of payment should something go wrong in allocating that payment to my NI account. The only way I can see to partially mitigate that scenario is to use DHL courier services for delivery so there is at least a proof of delivery receipt.

I'm doing something similar and had considered using BB Cashiers cheques for payment but am concerned that the canceled cheque is not returned to the buyer once cashed - that means I don not have proof of payment should something go wrong in allocating that payment to my NI account. The only way I can see to partially mitigate that scenario is to use DHL courier services for delivery so there is at least a proof of delivery receipt.

You are right, but in the letter I got states. They will issue a receipt on request, no need DHL Thai EMS gets a receipt of delivery. British Embassy use them. My only worry is the money gets there without charge to the recipent. I will call BB and inquire about the service, let you know.

You are right, but in the letter I got states. They will issue a receipt on request, no need DHL Thai EMS gets a receipt of delivery. British Embassy use them. My only worry is the money gets there without charge to the recipent. I will call BB and inquire about the service, let you know.

I asked HSBC in Bangkok about this and it seems they offer cashiers cheques/drafts that are very similar to what we have discussed and the cost is 200 baht per cheque.

I wanna pay off 6 years NI contributions, as far as I can make out from the site I need a UK address, but I don't have one, I haven't lived in UK for over 18 years, apparently I have till April to pay off up to 6 years .

How did you get round this ?

I know my National Insurance Number.

Thanks guys, I was gonna post a new thread on this very subject ! :o

I wanna pay off 6 years NI contributions, as far as I can make out from the site I need a UK address, but I don't have one, I haven't lived in UK for over 18 years, apparently I have till April to pay off up to 6 years .

There is no need to have a UK address to do this, just an NI number. The only snag will be that if you declare an overseas address as I have done you will be tagged as an expat and your pension will not be increased each year in line with inflation, unless you subsequently do report a UK address. I have several years before I reach pension age and by the time it is payable I expect to have a UK address hence I will notify the NI folks at that time.

As an aside, it looks like lots of us are going to be paying off past year NI contributions, The Treasury should be having a bumper year, not!

There is no need to have a UK address to do this, just an NI number. The only snag will be that if you declare an overseas address as I have done you will be tagged as an expat and your pension will not be increased each year in line with inflation, unless you subsequently do report a UK address. I have several years before I reach pension age and by the time it is payable I expect to have a UK address hence I will notify the NI folks at that time.

As an aside, it looks like lots of us are going to be paying off past year NI contributions, The Treasury should be having a bumper year, not!

Cheers CM, sounds good,

Chiang Mai, who do I get in touch with, I have to act swiftly, well at least within the next few weeks.

Is there a specific party I should contact ?

If I can do this from anywhere in the world it would be great, I have a house in Thailand but I'm not in Thailand at the moment, can everything be done online until it comes to me buying a Bank Draft from where I am at the moment ?

Sorry for the ammount of questions, but as you have just done this you have hands on experience, government websites can be confusing to an idiot like me.

Did the whole process take you long, as stated before I have my NI number and I have the money to send, who do I send it to is what I'm asking.... :D

Cheers CM.

Edited by Maigo6

Cheers CM, sounds good,

Chiang Mai, who do I get in touch with, I have to act swiftly, well at least within the next few weeks.

If I can do this from anywhere in the world it would be great, I have a house in Thailand but I'm not in Thailand at the moment, can everything be done online until it comes to me buying a Bank Draft from where I am at the moment ?

Sorry for the ammount of questions, but as you have just done this you have hands on experience, government websites can be confusing to an idiot like me.

Did the whole process take you long, as stated before I have my NI number and I have the money to send, who do I send it to is what I'm asking.... :D

Cheers CM.

I don't know that you have that much time to do it all, not sure. I wrote to them and asked for a statement and four months later they wrote back - I then wrote again to query some figures and it was at that point, in their reply, that they offered me the chance to pay the outstanding years (including the numbers and a breakdown etc). End to end process, about seven months!!!

I'm told however that their online system can provide requests in real time although I don't doubt it may take a few weeks. Best bet perhaps is to phone them and ask how to proceed. The telephone number is +44 1912253312 and the web site is at www.hmrc.gov.uk . When you call simply tell them what you want to do and ask them how to do it, can't offer much advice above and beyond that I'm afraid.

cheers

Cheers CM, sounds good,

Cheers CM.

I don't know that you have that much time to do it all, not sure. I wrote to them and asked for a statement and four months later they wrote back - I then wrote again to query some figures and it was at that point, in their reply, that they offered me the chance to pay the outstanding years (including the numbers and a breakdown etc). End to end process, about seven months!!!

I'm told however that their online system can provide requests in real time although I don't doubt it may take a few weeks. Best bet perhaps is to phone them and ask how to proceed. The telephone number is +44 1912253312 and the web site is at www.hmrc.gov.uk . When you call simply tell them what you want to do and ask them how to do it, can't offer much advice above and beyond that I'm afraid.

cheers

Thanks for the response CM, much appreciated.

See PM for a "Plan B"

Thanks guys, I was gonna post a new thread on this very subject ! :D

See PM for a "Plan B"

:o