Adding A Second Employer To A Work Permit

I am a teacher and often do corporate gigs in the evenings. An employer wants me to add them to my WP. I don't have a problem with it, as I understand that's the legal thing to do. I will have no problem getting my school to sign off on it (they helped me get the evening gig).

What are the mechanics of adding an employer to your WP? Who signs? Do you take the WP down to Labor?

Thanks,

zap

I am a teacher and often do corporate gigs in the evenings. An employer wants me to add them to my WP. I don't have a problem with it, as I understand that's the legal thing to do. I will have no problem getting my school to sign off on it (they helped me get the evening gig).

What are the mechanics of adding an employer to your WP? Who signs? Do you take the WP down to Labor?

Thanks,

zap

Hello

If i understand anything in Thailand, for this some 3 years, i think WP doesn't belong to you at all.Who gave it to you, you are obligated to return, if you are going to take a new job.

I don't know for any case like yours. Common thing is that we are giving back our WP, to the previous employer, when we are going to take another work.

So, i don't think you can just add new employer.

Same time, i don't believe your school doing legal thing, according to Thai Labour Law, if they told you they will sign them off in your WP.If you stop working for one employer, you have to open a new one(WP) and new employer will take it for you.

I am not sure this was helpful but i had to reply to you.

Cheers mate and good luck

As far as I understand it, the old employer has to agree that the new employer will be on the WP. So he has to give some kind of consent in writing. The new employer should submit all the documents required for a WP and you should take the WP with you to the labour office. THey will then add the new employer. Shouldn't be a problem.

Best is always to call labour first to say what they want.

As far as I understand it, the old employer has to agree that the new employer will be on the WP. So he has to give some kind of consent in writing. The new employer should submit all the documents required for a WP and you should take the WP with you to the labour office. THey will then add the new employer. Shouldn't be a problem.

Best is always to call labour first to say what they want.

Get a written consent in Thai from my current employer, and then go to Labor. I will try that out. I'll call, but I've never been able to communicate with anyone there in English.

Hello

If i understand anything in Thailand, for this some 3 years, i think WP doesn't belong to you at all.Who gave it to you, you are obligated to return, if you are going to take a new job.

I don't know for any case like yours. Common thing is that we are giving back our WP, to the previous employer, when we are going to take another work.

So, i don't think you can just add new employer.

Same time, i don't believe your school doing legal thing, according to Thai Labour Law, if they told you they will sign them off in your WP.If you stop working for one employer, you have to open a new one(WP) and new employer will take it for you.

I am not sure this was helpful but i had to reply to you.

Cheers mate and good luck

I know a little about WP's. The WP belongs to either the employer or the worker, depending on your employment contact and who paid for the WP. In my case, the employer pays for the WP as an employment benefit, and the employee retains possession. The employee is required to have the WP at all times when engaged in work for the employer.

I'm not taking a new job, but taking a second job (moonlighting). So, I don't surrender my WP, because I'm still working for that school. There is a page in a WP for adding an employer to legally engage in the second job. I just want to know the process for using that page to add on a second employer.

• Like 1

"Get a written consent in Thai from my current employer, and then go to Labor."

You only read part of the response.

"The new employer should submit all the documents required for a WP..."

In addition to the letter from the current employer, you need all the paperwork for a WP from the new employer. They need to provide everything, just as if you are a brand new employee, without a current WP.

No shortcuts just because you already have a WP.

---------------------------------------------

"The employee is required to have the WP at all times when engaged in work for the employer."

You don't actually have to have it with you. It can be locked up in the office safe, or wherever, just as long as it's readily available. It reads "...with him or at the place of business..."

I believe that now you don't have to return the WP when you quit a job. Many employers (mine included) probably don't know about this new rule.

If you read a lot of posts about WP's you'll see that a lot of folks who have them don't know much about them either.

Note: you can include me in that group.

For TerryLH

To tell you about this: "I believe that now you don't have to return the WP when you quit a job. Many employers (mine included) probably don't know about this new rule."

I am not sure is it NEW rule or is it rule at all but i am SURE in my case they asked me to return my WP.THEY said it IS the rule but how we could know?We are just doing as they say we have to.

In my case,not only that it was demanded from me(to return WP to previous employer) but in Immigration Office it was demanded i show CONFIRMATION LETTER,as EVIDENCE that i stopped work with previous employer.

They didn't want to give me new visa non B, based on contract with my new employer-before i show them that CONFIRMATION LETTER, from previous employer.

So, rule or not, that happened to me in Bangkok.

As i can see the things, the best what ZAPHOD...etc, should to do is to go directly to the Labour Office and clear all with them. They will say what you need to do(must).

Sad but truth,they work with foreigners but none any of them can speak English. Especially not that much as delicate things, as their procedure(s)demanding.

Take an English teacher from your school, pay for all costs for her/his help to you, that is all you can do.

One more thing is notorious truth about Thai way(s) in procedures.

Someone told here a joke: "If you ask about the Law-same thing five different persons(Thai Officers), you will get SIX answers. Everyone will say that HIS answer is valid and all the others giving you crap".

That was a joke, posted here from one guy. After all, in my 3 years here, all i can say is:IT IS NOT JOKE, not at all.

We have to be faced with their incompetence anywhere, so that is why i told you if i am in your shoes-i would not believe to any of them in school administration.

Take an English teacher from your school and go DIRECTLY to Labour Office.Many of us here, we are talking about our experience but that doesn't mean we know the Law here because each province can follow their Law in their, often personal way.

That's the fact about LOS(yeah but in their dream they are LOS)

Regards and give us feed back what happened.

"Get a written consent in Thai from my current employer, and then go to Labor."

You only read part of the response.

"The new employer should submit all the documents required for a WP..."

In addition to the letter from the current employer, you need all the paperwork for a WP from the new employer. They need to provide everything, just as if you are a brand new employee, without a current WP.

No shortcuts just because you already have a WP.

---------------------------------------------

"The employee is required to have the WP at all times when engaged in work for the employer."

You don't actually have to have it with you. It can be locked up in the office safe, or wherever, just as long as it's readily available. It reads "...with him or at the place of business..."

I believe that now you don't have to return the WP when you quit a job. Many employers (mine included) probably don't know about this new rule.

If you read a lot of posts about WP's you'll see that a lot of folks who have them don't know much about them either.

Note: you can include me in that group.

Thanks Terry. :o I did read the rest of your post, but as the second employer is AUA, I am certain they know their end of the requirements for getting a WP. I didn't know about the WP surrender rule, and I will check into that. I am always asked to retrieve the WP's of terminating teachers and, as I just had a teacher walk out over the weekend (or should I saw he flew the coup), it would be nice not to have to call him to return his WP.

• 10 years later...

As written above, there are a couple things to consider.

1. Existing employer has to be notified and they have to give their consent. In my case they had to go to the labour office in person. The existing employer may ask for the details of the second job. 

2. New employer goes to the Labour office and submits all the relevant documents in the presence of the employee who wants the second job in the work permit.

3. Work permit can be picked up the same day. (In my case)

Note that the rules may vary depending on location and some officials may not know the rules .