Buddhist Education For Kids

camerata

Anyone know to what extent Thai children get "religious education?" It seems to me that middle-class children these days often go to international schools and don't know much about their parents' religion. Then, as adults, they may experience difficulties and become interested in vipassana meditation. Some get drawn into movements such as Wat Thammakai.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that poor, upcountry kids are more exposed to the rituals and beliefs of popular Buddhism, and maybe taught about the Buddha's life in school, but they don't seem to go much deeper than that.

Have any of you tried to teach Buddhism to a child? I wonder how difficult that would be.

Good topic Camerata,

My TG has 2 Thai children from “Old Husband” the grandmother seems to have most of the say about their teaching… and that’s fine with me.

For Farang teens this book might be of interest “Buddha in your backpack” everyday Buddhism for teens, by Franz Metcalf.

It’s got some views (advice) that I find a little hard to swallow, but I’m not a teen any more but a Dad so…. (yes I am still young enough to remember when!)

Have a Happy...

DeDanan

Edited by DeDanan

After asking around a bit I was told that Thai kids are taught at school the five precepts, four noble truths, noble eightfold path and the life of the Buddha - over and over. But I was told that in recent years some schools are teaching kids meditation and sending them to Wat Thammakai to get grade points - or watching Wat Thammakai's satellite broadcasts in the classroom. The Thammakai sect seems to have a lot of influence with teachers and civil servants these days.