Renewing Thai Licence

Hi ,i know this subject has been posted before ,but can any body tell me what is the current up to date procedure, for renewing a 1 year thai, car/bike licence......mine ,both run out ,in 2 weeks ,i live in pattaya ,do i go before it runs out,on the day it runs out ,or after it runs out???thanks for any help/feed back. :o

I don't know about Pattaya but I just went to the license offrice and asked them that question. They told me that I can come anytime I want and did not have to be on the day or after the day or before the day of expiration.

I read the posts you refer to and was so confused that I just thought it best to go ask the office where I would be renewing. Their reply sent me off to get the needed papers and renew the very next day.

Procedures have changeed though. I had to do some color blindness and other exams this time but had no problems with that. I was able to get a 5 year renewal for both car and motor bike.

So my suggestion is to go to the office and ask them when you can renew and what paperwork you will need. Far easier that way and for sure they are very willing to help.

Bonus is the new license is useable in all Asean countries.

Good Luck

In CMai, I just renewed mine 3 months in advance for the 5-year auto and m/c. I simply asked while checking my m/c registration and the lady checked my licences then said come in that afternoon about 20 mins before the 1300 exam (twice daily at 08:00 or 13:00), to fill in the application forms. Great service! Thais and farangs together do the depth perception, color, reaction and field of view practical tests, then our Thai friends do the computer exam while farangs listen thru an hour-plus-vdo on Thai Road Safety. :o

In CMai, I just renewed mine 3 months in advance for the 5-year auto and m/c. I simply asked while checking my m/c registration and the lady checked my licences then said come in that afternoon about 20 mins before the 1300 exam (twice daily at 08:00 or 13:00), to fill in the application forms. Great service! Thais and farangs together do the depth perception, color, reaction and field of view practical tests, then our Thai friends do the computer exam while farangs listen thru an hour-plus-vdo on Thai Road Safety. :o

thanks guys,,,,,at last some positive feed back

I always heard that if you went before it expired thay would only issue you a 1 year license so I waited till the day after it expired (you have 7 days), filled out a couple forms, got my picture taken, paid my money and got 2 five year licenses (car & bike) in about 30 minutes here in Korat.

When my Pattaya 1 year motorcycle ran out (couple years ago) I went on the day of expiry and was told I could only renew for another 1 year one. If I wanted to get a five year come when the license has expired but within 3 months of expiry. Sounds crazy but you have to drive there on an expired license (is that an offense?) to get a new one. For renewal of 5 year one I was told 3 months before to 3 months after expiry would be OK.