Buying Glasses In Bangkok - Best Place For Lenses?

Sam125

Buying glasses in Bangkok - Best place for lenses?

I have a pair that I wear everyday for nearsightedness and astigmatism that I love. I bought them in America at Lenscrafters and they had them ready in an hour. Very high quality and light weight and very resistant to breaking. 

I have 2 small kids and they have been knocked to the ground without a problem more than once.

Is there anyplace in Bangkok that has top quality lenses?

Or do I need to have them made in America and mailed here? If so is there duty?

I've been going for years to V.Siam Optical, a family-owned place on Sukhumvit near Asoke, for my complex multifocals. They use top quality Hoya lenses and usually take about 3 days. I think they give better service and prices than all the chain stores in the malls, such as Top Charoen.

They cost about a third of what they would in Europe, and the quality is first rate. For goodness sake, don't get your glasses made in the States and shipped over!

I've been going for years to V.Siam Optical, a family-owned place on Sukhumvit near Asoke, for my complex multifocals. They use top quality Hoya lenses and usually take about 3 days. I think they give better service and prices than all the chain stores in the malls, such as Top Charoen.

They cost about a third of what they would in Europe, and the quality is first rate. For goodness sake, don't get your glasses made in the States and shipped over!

Billp,

A good suggestion - thank you I will go take a look.

The reason that I posted was that I have heard horror stories of poor quality lenses and sales clerks trying to sell prescription glasses without being a doctor of any type....

• 1 month later...

Billp,

The reason that I posted was that I have heard horror stories of poor quality lenses and sales clerks trying to sell prescription glasses without being a doctor of any type....

A couple of years back I had an eye test in a local shop and ordered a pair of glasses. As soon as I put them on my vision was blurred and they gave me a headache. The sales assistant tried to assure me it was just the new prescription and I'd get used to it. I insisted they tested me again. The test was the same and they checked the glasses to confirm the correct lenses were used. After refusing to leave the shop until the matter was resolved, they finally realized their mistake - they had got my prescription mixed up - left and right eye! Duh!

As for not being qualified - I'd say that's almost a certainty. An eye exam here is free and nothing like the eye exam I'd expect to get back home.

Billp,

I take progressive/vaiable focus lens and have now worked out that most opticians will quote you a price for one type of lens. However I found a chain of opticians in Pattaya (I think its called something like Beautiful Optics) that actually has a chart that displays the optical effects of about six different types of progressive lens available in Thailand that have different thickness and quality, with prices ranging from about 3500 to 10,000 baht plus. (I think the most expensive thin ones are made in Germany and sent over within about 1 week).

If you buy the cheapest/thickest lens you will have very poor side-vision. So its worth asking around and finding out what options are available.

Certainly I have plastic lens (Thai made Hoya I think) which are going on for over 3 years now with hardly a scratch.

I used Charoen Optical in Pattaya (opposite TukCom November 2007) and the glasses have been excellent, they are multifocal.

The optometrist did all the stuff that I have experienced in Australia.

I would make sure that the eye test is down properly at an optician that is part of a chain eg Charoen or Beautiful

Buying glasses in Bangkok - Best place for lenses?

I have a pair that I wear everyday for nearsightedness and astigmatism that I love. I bought them in America at Lenscrafters and they had them ready in an hour. Very high quality and light weight and very resistant to breaking. 

I have 2 small kids and they have been knocked to the ground without a problem more than once.

Is there anyplace in Bangkok that has top quality lenses?

Or do I need to have them made in America and mailed here? If so is there duty?

Excellent place called Modern Optical in Asoke, next door to Black Swan pub under Asoke BTS. I've been going there for years, same problem with kids vs glasses (or leaving my specs in bars), and I know a lot of my friends in Bkk give him their repeat custom.

He/they won't try to oversell, all very good quality lenses and service, speaks English, (often get free running repairs!) they will SMS you if required and even deliver to your work/apartment if within CBD.

Khun Phrom (Yoshmeta) is the owner, you can get him on 02 229 4538 or via [email protected].

Best of luck