New Word

tgeezer

Has any one come across these words? วัจนภาษา อวัจนภาษา if so how do you pronounce them? They come from วจนะ (วะจะนะ) but I was wondering if the อั meant that some attempt should be made towards วัท ทะ นะ The meaning is also interesting first one is : ภาษาถ้อยคำ and the second ภาษาที่ไม่ใช่ถ้อยคำ I especially like the second because it sounds so Thai whereas ภาษากาย sounds awful.

Edited by tgeezer

Has any one come across these words? วัจนภาษา อวัจนภาษา if so how do you pronounce them? They come from วจนะ (วะจะนะ) but I was wondering if the อั meant that some attempt should be made towards วัท ทะ นะ The meaning is also interesting first one is : ภาษาถ้อยคำ and the second ภาษาที่ไม่ใช่ถ้อยคำ I especially like the second because it sounds so Thai whereas ภาษากาย sounds awful.

According to the RID online:

วัจน์(แบบ) น. วจนะ, ถ้อยคํา. (ป., ส.). I cannot find อวัจนภาษา but the pronunciation scheme should be the same, I would think.

วัจน์(แบบ) น. วจนะ, ถ้อยคํา. (ป., ส.). I cannot find อวัจนภาษา but the pronunciation scheme should be the same, I would think.

I messed up my วัท จะ นะ I suppose in future it would be better to write วจนภาษา วะจะนะ then. They are not in the dictionary, the writer put the definitions in the piece and I have quoted them.

I messed up my วัท จะ นะ I suppose in future it would be better to write วจนภาษา วะจะนะ then. They are not in the dictionary, the writer put the definitions in the piece and I have quoted them.

I've never heard them in conversation but have seen them in writing and communication guides. 'Verbal language' and 'non-verbal language' are reasonable translations. I agree that pronunciation is the same in both, besides the initial อะ.

aanon

I've never heard them in conversation but have seen them in writing and communication guides. 'Verbal language' and 'non-verbal language' are reasonable translations. I agree that pronunciation is the same in both, besides the initial อะ.

aanon

I was wondering if the ไม้หันอกาศ which is only used with ตัวสะกด means it should be sounded as วัท in which case it could be one of two วัท ทะ จะ นะ or วัท จะ นะ or you could write it without ไม้หันอกาศ วจนภาษา (วะ จะ นะ-) probably a case of 'tink too mut'

On the subject of อวัจนภาษา I know that I don't speak it as well as a Thai, I think that the smile is often forgotten.

I am reading about the three types of language now, have you studied them? ภาษาแบบแผน ภาษากึ่งแบบแผน ภาษาปาก What it has revealed to me is the language which you use has nothing to do with 'class' ; an educated person modifies the language used to suit the situation and should be adept in all three. How about this;

ข้าพเจ้า /ดิฉัน, ผม, หนู. /กู, ข้า, อั๊ว. in decending order and รับประทาน/ กิน / ยัด, แดก, ซัด. and บิดา/ คุณพ่อ/ พ่อ

I wonder how serious the distinction is, I mean I can say พ่อ for father but ยัด for eat seems radical. Non native speakers of course shouldn't bother I suppose but one of my golf partners speaks in the most rapid and unclear fashion to me, and I wonder if my book-learnt-language grates on him. He says things like 'peloke' for pitsunuloke, he does say ทาน for กิน so is up half a notch there I suppose.

You're right: command of different registers is critical for a person wanting to participate fully in society. This is one of the most difficult aspects for anyone learning a second language, and certain registers can even be out of the range of a native speaker unless they've had specific training or exposure. In English, how many of us can do a convincing legalese or 'speechwriter speak'? I remember a story about a very esteemed Thai doctor who was called to help His Majesty in a time of need. Due to the doctor's awkwardness using 'royal speak', His Majesty tactfully suggested that the two speak in English instead of Thai.

ยัด for 'eat' is really quite vulgar. Students of thai like us might want to study 'vulgar speak' but it's hard to imagine a situation where using it would be appropriate. Even people who regularly swear and cuss themselves would probably feel compelled to instruct a farang against using vulgar thai.

What are you reading, tgeezer? It sounds very much like a couple of books i have. One is a handbook to a vocational course regarding practical language use in the workplace. The other is a guide to good writing, which is full of definitions and very little good advice.

aanon

Edited by aanon

I have ภาษาไทย ม.๑ I thought that it would be a good revision of the primary books and so it is. The first 45 pages are just that; consonents, vowels, tones, word building, pronunciation, punctuation etc. It then goes on to practical use of the language. I have just got to the page which I browsed when I bought the book and what made me buy it: page 221.

ตัวอย่างสถานการณ์ในการสื่อสาร

สถานการณ์ที่ ๑ คนรู้จักสนิทสนม

แดง: "ไปไหน"

ดำ: "ไปทำธุระ" (ตอบตรงไปตรงมา)

แดง: "หาเรื่องไปเที่ยวบ้านเล็กก็บอกมาเถอะ" (ละเมิดสิทธิส่วนบุคคลเกินไป)

The following should be helpful:

๑. ใช้วัจนภาษาให้ถูกต้องตามกฎเกณฑ์ของภาษา โดยคำนึงถึง

๑.๑ ลักษณะของคำ ได้แก่ คำมูล คำประสม คำพ้อง คำทับศัพท์ คำสมาส คำสนธิ ฯลฯ

๑.๒ หน้าที่ของคำ ได้แก่ คำนาม คำสรรพนาม คำกริยา จนกระทั่งถึงคำอุทาน

๑.๓ ตำแหน่งของคำ ได้แก่ ประธาน กริยา กรรม คำขยาย

๑.๔ ความหมายของคำ ได้แก่ ความหมายตามตัว ความหมายเชิงอุปมา ความหมายแฝง

๒. ใช้วัจนภาษาให้เหมาะกับบริบทของภาษา โดยคำนึงถึง

๒.๑ กาลเทศะ ใช้คำให้เหมาะกับเวลาและสถานที่ที่ควรใช้

๒.๒ บุคคล ใช้คำให้เหมาะกับบุคคลที่แตกต่างกัน เช่น พระ คนธรรมดา ฯลฯ

๒.๓ โอกาส ใช้คำให้เหมาะกับช่วงเวลาที่ควรใช้ในจังหวะที่เหมาะสม

อวัจนภาษา เป็นการสื่อสารโดยไม่ใช้คำพูด แต่ใช้สิ่งอื่นแทน ได้แก่

๑. อาการภาษา ได้แก่ กิริยาท่าทาง สีหน้า สายตา เช่น การจับมือ การยิ้ม การไหวไหล่ ฯลฯ

๒. ภาษาสัญลักษณ์ ได้แก่ สัญญาณต่าง ๆ เช่น สัญญาณไฟจราจร สัญญาณธง สัญญาณมือ

๓. สัมผัสภาษา ได้แก่ การสัมผัส เช่น จับมือ แลบลิ้น ลูบศีรษะ โอบกอด แตะไหล่

๔. วัตถุภาษา ได้แก่ ลักษณะทางกายภาพ เช่น เสื้อผ้า เครื่องประดับ ลายมือ การชมโทรทัศน์

๕. ปริภาษา ได้แก่ เสียงที่ได้ยิน เช่น ฟ้าร้อง ไฟปะทุแตก พลุ ไซเรน แตรรถ หวูดเรือ

๖. เทศภาษา ได้แก่ ช่องว่างหรือระยะห่างที่มองเห็น เช่น ระยะห่างของหญิงชาย พระกับสตรี คนกับสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์

๗. กาลภาษา ได้แก่ การสื่อความหมายโดยให้เวลามีบทบาทสำคัญ เช่น การมาก่อนเวลา ตรงเวลา หรือหลังเวลาที่กำหนด เสียงโทรศัพท์ในเวลาปกติ หรือยามวิกาล

๘. กลิ่นและรส สามารถสื่อความหมายได้ เช่น กลิ่นธูป กลิ่นบูดเน่า กลิ่นเหม็น กลิ่นหอม รสเปรี้ยว หวาน มัน เค็ม เผ็ด

๙. ภาพ สามารถสื่อความหมายได้ดี เพราะเห็นรายละเอียดชัดเจน

๑๐. สี สีทุกสีมีความหมายในตัวเอง เช่น สีแดงแสดงความร้อนแรง สีเขียวแสดงความอุดมสมบูรณ์

๑๑. ลักษณะของตัวอักษร การเขียนตัวอักษรบ่งบอกอารมณ์และอุปนิสัยใจคอของผู้เขียนได้

That is a long list, where did it come from? The speech topics are not a surprise but I had restricted the meaning with the prefix อ to body language. Would you say that is ๑-๔ perhaps?

I have an addition to the wider means of communicating:

๑๒. อาหาร เมือเยียมพี่สะใภ้ อาหารที่ให้กินไม่ค่อยอร่อย (แต่ไม่แน่แล้วอาจดำรงในวรรค๑ได้เป็นวรรคย่อย)

There is scope here for a good serious of jokes on non verbal communications.