This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

Well my last one was not as bad as I expected..... BUT it only caught the first 10 or so days of the heatwave. I fear May's bill, it will include my afternoons hiding in the spare bedroom. the extra struggles of my bedroom AC trying to get that room down to a suitable temperature and hold it there evenings and nights. and a guest in the spare bedroom! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I insulated my  house when built using double  block walls with air  gap ( sealed )12  years  ago, ceiling insulation and upvc  windows, its well sealed everywhere, costing 1800 a  month in 40c heat currently, thats on 24-7 set at 26c cooling a  50m2 area, I clean my own aircons regularly and  this is a Daikin 12000btu inverter aircon.

12000 btu airconditioner will on average use 1kw per hour . 720 hours in the month will equate to 3600 baht . 

Even in my Airbnb I have turned the air con off 

I don't know what rates the owner will charge me at the end of the month but I'm thinking the 12k a month rental might not be as cheap as staying in a hotel after I pay the electricity!!!

I will get a fan soon as I find a shop

This is what you must take into consideration staying in a Airbnb even if it's a cheap 12,000 baht a month you have electricity and water 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

We had 44 over the weekend, Thats brutal ! 

Our electricity is up this month with temps over 40 regularly. probably up 25%, to be expected.

Your from outback Queensland aren't you 

Would be nothing compared to the heat in Outback Australia 🦘 

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Mine isn't. I could fry eggs on my West facing bedroom wall if it were not vertical! My bigger Daiken is churning away for ages to cool it down in there for bedtime!

Is there a way to shade the outside of the wall - trees, awning or lattice?   I installed a 4m x 2.4m UV 95% blockout awning outside a wall (10cm off) and it has made a huge difference.  Even a cheapie market/shop-style roll down awning will do.

• Like 2

1600 baht air con bill this month only on 6-8 hours a day/night the rest of the time I’m out in an Amazon enjoying their free air,  a cold beverage with the ear pods in. Bill was better than expected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, itsari said:

12000 btu airconditioner will on average use 1kw per hour . 720 hours in the month will equate to 3600 baht . 

Your figures don't take into account the actual amount of heat that the air conditioner must transfer from the room to maintain the selected temperature.  Obviously a well insulated room allows less heat from outside to raise the inside temperature.  Less power is needed to remove less heat.  The "average" consumption needs to be adjusted for different circumstances.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

Yeah, me too!

This month's use up from 66 to 89 units. That's 355bht to pay.

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This heat wave is costing me a lot of money...

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?

Oh you poor wee thing.

That is what happens when you live in a box.

You are still ahead of us here living on a private development where the price per unit for electricity is just below 10 baht.

I pay for the electricity for some of my neighbours who live overseas. The bills range from 3,000 to 25,000 baht last month. This month will be higher.

3,200 baht is not 'whopping'.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Utalk2mutt said:

1600 baht air con bill this month only on 6-8 hours a day/night the rest of the time I’m out in an Amazon enjoying their free air,  a cold beverage with the ear pods in. Bill was better than expected.

how much is an amazon drink every day for a month though ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1